Best Kindle to buy strictly for reading?

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
BarryEM
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Best Kindle to buy strictly for reading?

Post by BarryEM »

I have 3G because my phone doesn't have a hotspot, unfortunately. I get free service from Medicare and it doesn't include a hotspot. Sometimes I think their price is too high. :)

Barry
Laughingsun
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ormwood</a>
Currently Reading: The Plan
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laughingsun.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Laughingsun »

I had a kindle from way a long time ago, which stopped working just as I found this site. I was using the Kindle app. on my iPhone 6, however I was getting headaches from long reads. So I just purchased the Kindle (8th Generation) (in Canada) and love it. I got a simple case that turns it on/off when I open/close which is really nice too :)
mochababy70
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mochababy70.html

Post by mochababy70 »

If you want it just to read books, than I would suggest the Kindle Paper White. I have a Paper White and a Fire but just read books on the Paper White.
DesireeRose
Currently Reading: The Blood of Winter
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desireerose.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by DesireeRose »

For only reading, the Kindle Paperwhite is by far the best. There are so many ups to the Paperwhite, it's unbelievable. When you put lighting all the way down, it truly does look like paper. It's amazing. The battery life lasts a long, long time. I can spend days reading on it without charging it.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

It sounds like most votes are for the Paperwhite. I hope it's lightweight. I don't even like using my iPad air for reading anymore because it's so darn heavy while I'm reading in bed.
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

I've been debating upgrading my kindle. I have a 3rd gen one. It just doesn't suit me any more since I don't have a reading lamp and I end up reading a lot on my phone in bed if I can't get back to sleep and my husband is asleep. Just trying to decide between the Fire and the Paperwhite. The Fire is cheaper but I love the sound of the Paperwhite.
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
BarryEM
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by BarryEM »

I have a Fire and a Paperwhite. The Fire is, for it's price, a fair tablet. It's screen is a bit grainy and that shows up most when reading text. The pixels are just too few and too large to make the lines in the text seem truly smooth. It's not so bad that it's really noticeable but even if you don't notice it it degrades the reading experience a little bit.

Also the Fire has a backlit screen which means the light is behind the screen shining up into your eyes. Some people aren't bothered much by this. Others are and it limits the length of time they can read before they get eyestrain.

The Fire does have the advantage that it's a decent inexpensive tablet for watching videos and checking email and browsing the web and playing games, none of which the Paperwhite can do.

The Paperwhite has a screen with a lot more pixels per inch so it's not grainy at all. Text is perfect. Contrast is excellent and for reading it has more features than the Fire and they work better. It also gets far better battery life. And the screen has a front light, not a back light, and that means you see reflected light just as you do when reading with a lamp over your shoulder. It's as though Jeff Bezos is standing over your shoulder as you read holding a lamp for you to read by except that with the Paperwhite you never get in it's way so no shadows. :)

The Fire is a cheap and decent general purpose tablet that's not bad for reading. The Paperwhite is totally useless for anything but reading but it's probably the best reading experience in the history of Planet Earth. If you want a general purpose tablet get the Fire. If you want to read get the Paperwhite. Or get both like I did. :)

Barry
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

BarryEM wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 15:14
The Fire is a cheap and decent general purpose tablet that's not bad for reading. The Paperwhite is totally useless for anything but reading but it's probably the best reading experience in the history of Planet Earth. If you want a general purpose tablet get the Fire. If you want to read get the Paperwhite. Or get both like I did. :)

Barry
Wow! That was comprehensive! Thank you for that comparison. That definitely helps with my desicion. If I had plenty of money and wasn't trying to move, I'd definitely get both, but sadly I don't. I think I'll end up getting the Paperwhite after reading through that. Thank you again, it was extremely helpful!
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
amypattenaude
Favorite Author: Deborah Harkness
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 20
fav_author_id: 2676

Post by amypattenaude »

I must be old school! Since I refuse to replace anything just for the sake of replacing it, I am still using my original Kindle. The one made before Paperwhite, before tough screen. Think back, way back, when they were all the rage, and you had to buy a cover for it, and the coolest cover was the expensive one with the built in reading light. Yep, that's the version of Kindle I still use and will until it dies. Reading on a computer screen is not equivalent to reading a book or newspaper, and I am not sure why all gadget makers think making a smaller version of it is a good idea! The whole reason the original Kindle, and (I'm hoping) the Paperwhite work and are popular is because they are easier on your eyes. No glare, no brightness, no crazy colors. It's the closest I can get to reading a real book, without having to lug around a real book. Something like the Fire, or an iPad, or other tablet will never come close to competing with. I look forward to more opinions as sadly I will probably need to replace my ancient Kindle here soon, and I might actually cry!
smtindle
Currently Reading: A Court of Frost and Starlight
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by smtindle »

I have the least expensive one, I'm not even sure if they make it anymore. It has the buttons on either side of the screen, no light, no extra features. I bought it strictly for reading a couple of years ago and still love it! :techie-studyingbrown:
MHScaccia
Favorite Book: Demon Freaks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhscaccia.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri
Reading Device: B01J94T83C

Post by MHScaccia »

This post has been awesome for me! I just got the green light from the hubs to buy an e-reader, but had no clue which one to purchase. Thanks so much for all the good advice!!
amypattenaude
Favorite Author: Deborah Harkness
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 20
fav_author_id: 2676

Post by amypattenaude »

smtindle wrote: 17 May 2018, 16:18 I have the least expensive one, I'm not even sure if they make it anymore. It has the buttons on either side of the screen, no light, no extra features. I bought it strictly for reading a couple of years ago and still love it! :techie-studyingbrown:
Yes that's the one I have as well. I looked yesterday and there are a couple of refurbished ones in Amazon Warehouse for less than $401 lol it's the 3rd generation kindle if I remember right.
Louanne Piccolo
Currently Reading: A Judegement in Stone
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-louanne-piccolo.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Louanne Piccolo »

The Paperwhite! It reads just like a book and is small enough to be held like one too. Also, no glare on the screen; you can read in the sun for ages.
It's likely I will die next to a pile of things I was meaning to read - Lemony Snicket
Rangerkay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rangerkay.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Rangerkay »

I won an iPad in a work contest. (highest sales in my region). So, I actually read through the kindle app for iPad. I found that I enjoyed that far more than using my little Kindle Paperwhite.
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Kafka On The Shore
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

A basic kindle touch is good enough. This is the least priced one. But I think storage capacity for books varies with price. Last time I checked, it was 4 GB for kindle touch, which should store a fair no. of books. If someone wants built-in light support, then go for paperwhite instead.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”