Best Kindle to buy strictly for reading?

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
speedesch2
Favorite Book: The Galway Homicides #4-6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-speedesch2.html

Re: Best Kindle to buy strictly for reading?

Post by speedesch2 »

I have a Kindle Touch with 3G and Wi-Fi, totally cool, love it, can't live without it. Battery life is amazing, I read every day and only have to charge it maybe once every two weeks. Kindle Paperwhite is a newer generation e-reader though and have the advantage of a backlit display.
melrose226
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melrose226.html
Latest Review: "Victory Blvd." by Sameer Ketkar

Post by melrose226 »

I have had a Kindle Paperwhite in the past (which I got because, like you, I wanted something strictly for reading) and I agree with everyone that it's definitely your cheapest and simplest option if you're only interested in reading, but a word of warning: I went through two Kindle Paperwhites in the space of roughly a year. The first froze during an update and never turned back on, and the other just died on me. These were devices which were fairly new and which I did not use all that often, so they had no excuse for breaking. Additionally, even when they were working, I noticed the Paperwhites would often freeze on me or not do what I wanted (sometimes I would need to swipe repeatedly to get a page to turn, etc). After all of this frustration I went with a Kindle Fire HD, which I absolutely adore and wouldn't trade for the world. I don't really use it's tablet features (apps and email and such) but the reading is so much better, the touch screen is way more responsive and doesn't freeze, and I've now had it for quite a while with no signs of it coming to an early demise like the Paperwhites. It's a bit more pricey than the Paperwhites but I'd still recommend it over them!
Latest Review: "Victory Blvd." by Sameer Ketkar
joe_paul17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-paul17.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Post by joe_paul17 »

I owned a Kindle 2nd generation and recently moved to the Kindle Paperwhite!!! Love the Paperwhite. IF your planning on getting just for reading get a Kindle Paperwhite with just Wifi, cheaper and frankly you don't need the 3G. Most of the cafes or bristos or anywhere you generally would settle down to read have wifi.
And trust me just download two or three books in one go and till you finish them your good to go.
The dictionary works without a 3G or wifi.
Darling_Reads
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darling-reads.html
Latest Review: "Emmie of Indianapolis" by Kay Castaneda
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by Darling_Reads »

I had a Nook when they first came out before everything got fancy and turned into tablet looking. Right after the warranty expired it broke. I got another one, same problem. So, the last time I decided to go with Kindle because I like Amazon Prime and the perks of included television shows and prime shipping. When I was shopping they no longer had the Kindle White. They were either touch or fire. I went with the Kindle fire and have had no technical problems after a few years but the battery has really started to run out fast. I can only use it for about an hour and it's dead. I was thinking about going back to a "white" just for reading since I have a laptop. I wonder if they last longer than the Nooks did. Has anybody had any problems with the new Kindle model?
Latest Review: "Emmie of Indianapolis" by Kay Castaneda
joe_paul17
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-paul17.html

Post by joe_paul17 »

Hi 'Reads', i got my paperwhite some time back and frankly dont face any problems yet. Never had any with 2nd gen touch either, had it for like 3 years till i dropped it into the washing machine and it went for some like 2 rounds in it, i never had any issue. And why don't you get in touch with Amazon and tell them your problem. Tell them its got some glitch of some sorts, they would offer you a refurbished one at a discounted rate which is cheaper and frankly works fine. Or if your bent on getting a new one, get a new one. But im currently using a refurbished one and so are many of my friends and all are running fine. (just dont drop it into a washing machine or something )
emilywagner
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilywagner.html

Post by emilywagner »

I have the Kindle Fire and honestly its a bit of overkill for strictly reading, and its interface isn't that great so the purpose it is supposed to serve such as internet browsing and app usage isn't fulfilled quite as well as I would have liked. I hear the paperwhite is great though!
HeneryKnox
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heneryknox.html

Post by HeneryKnox »

I have a pre-Paper White kindle and I really enjoy it. I got it as a gift and was a little worried the reading experience wouldn't be the same as an actual book. I was pleasantly surprised how enjoyable it was, I can track my progress through the book and I was able to find a cover for it so it has a similar feel to a book. I like how easy on the eyes it is and how easy it is to get a book instantly. I usually read at home so if that is where you do most of your reading I would recommend going with a cheap option with just WiFi however if you are constantly on the road or in areas with no Wifi I would consider getting one that can use cell networks for downloading books.
dheyd
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dheyd.html

Post by dheyd »

I own the Kindle Fire Tablet, but it's like reading off a computer screen. I still love it as a tablet, but I wanted something for just reading. So I recently purchased the Kindle Paperwhite and no longer get a glare, whether I'm inside or outside. The book download speed is amazing and the battery life last a long time. I highly recommend it for just reading.
Mickaila
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Favorite Book: The Iliad
Currently Reading: Most Evil by Michael Stone
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mickaila.html
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by Mickaila »

Definitely the kindle fire 2nd gen, not too expensive but still modern and very nice. I have one and I seriously love it. I can download books super quick and even watch netflix if I feel inclined. I know you said for strictly reading, but this one is really nice and I heard that the older ones have issues such as lighting and the like.
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
animalgirl
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-animalgirl.html

Post by animalgirl »

I have a Kindle Fire HDX and a Kindle Touch. I love my Kindle Fire, but I got it mostly for the tablet. I do most of my reading on my Kindle Touch or my Kindle PC, If I were to do it over though, I'd probably get the Kindle Paper White. I don't do that much night reading, but I'd like to have that option.
Eveningscroll+123

Post by Eveningscroll+123 »

I have a Kindle Paperwhite and love it. It has the screen that has a light that you can adjust. If you use it outside, it reads just like a basic Kindle, but if you want to read before bed, then it has a light that you can adjust the brightness. It solves all my problems about reading in many different places comfortably.... I love my Kindle and use it to read approx 90% of the time, but I still occasionally love to buy a hardcover.
patrickt

Post by patrickt »

Another for the Paperwhite.
Comments:
A. I used to carry a Petzl headlamp with me for reading in dark restaurants or coffee shops. The Paperwhite is lighted but is still great for reading outdoors in the sun.
B. 3G. I've had a Kindle with 3G and without. I have zero use for 3G. I download all my books fom Amazon on my computer at home. When I leave home my Kindle has a half-dozen books on it so I have zero need to stop in the middle of the street and download a new book. But, as you can see, some people feel a need for 3G.
C. I add WiFi connections to my Kindle Paperwhite which remembers them. So, when I go to a restaurant or coffee shop I am usually connected automatically.
Dando
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dando.html
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann

Post by Dando »

PAPERWHITE, the backlight is so fantastic! You will love it.
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

Paperwhite, for the 100th time!
It's fairly cheap, it's fast, and it's great for reading.
And you won't really need the 3G version, that's a waste of money.

PS: The backlight is awesome, yes.
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
pretzelsnow
Favorite Author: Lynn Austin
Favorite Book: Long Time Coming by Edie Claire
Currently Reading: Silas Marner by George Elliot
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pretzelsnow.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 7595

Post by pretzelsnow »

I have a kindle paperwhite that I use for just reading and I really like it and would recommend it.Kindle are on sale now, did you know that? Go an amazon and look at the kindle deals.
When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.
— Walter Lippmann

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”