I don't own a kindle

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
pamelaylawrence
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pamelaylawrence.html

Re: I don't own a kindle

Post by pamelaylawrence »

I don't own a Kindle, but I do have Kindle on my PC and Android. I prefer the feel of a book in my hand, but space and technology have convinced me that a digital book is ok. I also like the fact that I can search within the book with the click of a button. In my foreseeable future I will probably own a Kindle (and a tablet). Yep, been holding out on that one as well!

Pamela
Ashley Hiddles
Favorite Author: Far too many
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: The Heart-Shaped Box
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-hiddles.html

Post by Ashley Hiddles »

Nothing will ever replace the feeling of a book in my hand, but my kindle is convenient. I'm the kind of person who always has to have a book with them, but it's hard for me to tote around big books all the time, it's simply not practical. I wish it was though. I have the kindle touch, which is basic and perfect for what I need. I used to be against any and all e-readers, but I have since changed my ways.
Aixa Miller
Currently Reading: Wicked Designs
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aixa-miller.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Aixa Miller »

I dont own a kindle either but i do have a kindle app on my ipad and iphone. I love the feel of a book in my hands but sometimes its easier to carry one less item while going out. :)
Next_Element

Post by Next_Element »

I agree, I just love the feeling of paper in my hands.
AnnaK4656
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annak4656.html

Post by AnnaK4656 »

While I love a good hardback book - it can be a challenge for a late night read. With my kindle it's perfect for laying in bed with the lights off. One problem is battery life though if I'm out all day and my kindle dies, well that's it.
Paladin8

Post by Paladin8 »

I have several Kindles, an I-pad and an I-phone. Guess I'm a gadget freak ! I use the Kindle when traveling. On an air flight, it doesn't take up space or weight. It's easy to carry ten books (or more) to read while you're on vacation.
BUT. I like the serendipitous feeling of finding a good book, while browsing in a bookstore or a library. I do like the feel and smell of a new book. None of these is possible with an e-reader.
kaylahar6
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylahar6.html
Latest Review: "The Shades" by Anup Dhirwan

Post by kaylahar6 »

I have a kindle, but I still enjoy reading a book better then a e book.
Latest Review: "The Shades" by Anup Dhirwan
Kmckeeth

Post by Kmckeeth »

AVanderoef wrote:I do own a Kindle, in fact I own 2. I know it sounds crazy, why would you need more than 1, my son got and never uses the 2nd one. Well I got my Kindle because I thought it was a cheap solution to the tablet market (it really wasn't BTW). I started to find that although I preferred the feel of a real book, I liked the ease of purchase and lack of space consumed by digital books. I agree there is nothing like the smell, feel and handiness of a good book, but I like to use the Kindle for the not so good books. I purchase the real thing after I read it on the Kindle and decide if it's worthy of my shelf space.
Ha! if you think 2 is crazy, I own several myself. I fell in love with the Kindle keyboard first generation because it has the ability to read to me. I went crazy when the kindle fire came out but lost steam with it because I only played games and never concentrated enough to read. I read a whole bunch of articles about customers having to return their newest simple kindles and decided I wanted to stock up on the first generation keyboard while they were still available for cheaper through amazon marketplace, so I bought 3. I recently bought a kindle dx because I wanted to keep my review books on a different device than my other books, and just received a kindle hdx last christmas! I have found now that it is only the kindle HDX that I use, it also has come with the text to speech feature and I use it every day at work, home, cars...just love it.
KDI70
Favorite Author: Heather Graham
Favorite Book: The Night is Alive
Currently Reading: Crimson Twilight
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdi70.html
fav_author_id: 6581

Post by KDI70 »

I don't own a Kindle, however I did download the Kindle for my PC. I've read one book on it so far and enjoyed it. It wasn't hard to download the book or to manage so I will certainly use it again.
LoneWolf1

Post by LoneWolf1 »

The books don't actually go away. If you buy them or receive them as a gift they stay on your kindle forever. I do understand the feeling of not having the book on a shelf, but the times are changing. Look at it this way, you never have to give them away! My wife and I are preparing to move and I just had to give away over 100 books. The ones on my kindle are still with me.
Abigailhixson93

Post by Abigailhixson93 »

I love reading paper back book, but i do own a kindle, the kindle fire is more like a tablet so i can use it for anything, theres even a free texting app, i do still read regualr books but when im traveling, the kindle is the best because you can have hundreds of books, in just a tiny device
drea42

Post by drea42 »

I understand the feeling. I was given a Kindle for Christmas and I didn't want to accept it because I loved books too much. However, after discovering the world of e-books my thoughts had changed. I have discovered authors, found great books, even free books thanks to the Kindle. I still buy physical books all the time but, it's nice to have another resource especially when I want to read at night. Plus, if I read an e-book I LOVE I go out and buy the physical book.
Romes123
Favorite Author: James Hadley Chase
Favorite Book: The God Father
Currently Reading: A TIME TO KILL
fav_author_id: 26124

Post by Romes123 »

I don't own a kindle because it's not available in Nigeria
anomalocaris
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anomalocaris.html
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier

Post by anomalocaris »

Reader B wrote:I'm thinking about getting a Kindle but I don't know much about them. For those of you reading on a Kindle, which one would you recommend? Are the Kindle E-readers more comfortable to read than a Kindle Fire?

Thanks!
I love my Kindle Fire, because it can do other things as well as displaying books. I have a cat who likes to be on my lap every time I sit down for a minute. I don't like to keep getting up and dumping him off. With the kindle fire, I can be reading with him on my lap, make a quick email check, switch to a crochet pattern without getting up to look it up, get bored and decide to play an adventure game, use google voice to call my family -- all the things I used to have to move Finn off my lap for, or just decide to wait until he was awake.
You can't put a rope around the neck of an idea.
--Vol. Bobby Sands
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier
joanhallhovey

Post by joanhallhovey »

I love my Kindle, though I came to the ebook technology late in life. In my youngerlife, I hung out in the library, so I have a great and long love for physical books - love the heft, the smell... But I've embraced technology. I like it that I can make the text as large as I need it to be (these eyes aren't what they used to be) and my Kindle is light to hold for someone who likes to read in bed, as I do. Busy writing and teaching all day, so that's the only change I get. So yes, I do love my Kindle. I bought my husband the Kindle Fire for Christmas and he's reading again.

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”