I don't own a kindle

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
Xandra
Bookshelf Size: 0

I don't own a kindle

Post by Xandra »

I don't own a kindle because I don't want books to disappear because then that feeling of why I read in the first place goes away. A book is like a home. Looking at a screen all day just doesn't appeal to me.
KattPascale
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Letters to Sam
Currently Reading: In A Small Town
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kattpascale.html
Latest Review: "Song of the Mokihana" by TD Matzenik
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by KattPascale »

Don't feel bad. I don't have a kindle or nook because I feel like a new one comes out as soon as you get used to what you shell out money for. To boot I like the feel of a book in my hands and being able to just grab it and put it in my bag. I do have an ipad for other things which I do store books electronically on (just because I like having an electronic copy too). But don't feel like you have to conform to society! If and when you are ready, you will do it. :)
Latest Review: "Song of the Mokihana" by TD Matzenik
Enigma
Favorite Author: S.E.Hinton
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading: Breathless by Scott Prussing
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enigma.html
Latest Review: "Broken, 180 Days in the Wilderness of an Urban Middle School" by Ann C. Averill

Post by Enigma »

It's a digital world we live in. I felt the same until I got my Kindle.
If I didn't write, I'd never sleep.

Up the Irons!!!
Latest Review: "Broken, 180 Days in the Wilderness of an Urban Middle School" by Ann C. Averill
AVanderoef
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avanderoef.html

Post by AVanderoef »

I do own a Kindle, in fact I own 2. I know it sounds crazy, why would you need more than 1, my son got and never uses the 2nd one. Well I got my Kindle because I thought it was a cheap solution to the tablet market (it really wasn't BTW). I started to find that although I preferred the feel of a real book, I liked the ease of purchase and lack of space consumed by digital books. I agree there is nothing like the smell, feel and handiness of a good book, but I like to use the Kindle for the not so good books. I purchase the real thing after I read it on the Kindle and decide if it's worthy of my shelf space.
Cody Mathews
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cody-mathews.html
Latest Review: "Snowballs from Mars" by Mark Gillespie

Post by Cody Mathews »

I feel the same way about not having the physical book on my shelf, showing accomplishment and vast knowledge......with that said, if you move often, or have a small living space, the Kindle can provide you unlimited opportunities to continue to build your stockpile of knowledge without forgoing physical space. Like the above post, if i like the book enough on my Kindle, i will buy it as a momento.

In addition, i have found that it is very convienient to download samples of books on my kindle for free through Amazon, before I purchase or rent from a library. It beats standing in an aisle at the library or bookstore trying to grasp the context of the book without having to physically go to either location. I download 5-6 samples of different books and get a gist of them before I take the next step....the Kindle has added to my reading, hands down.
Latest Review: "Snowballs from Mars" by Mark Gillespie
Mom2Grey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mom2grey.html

Post by Mom2Grey »

Xandra wrote:I don't own a kindle because I don't want books to disappear because then that feeling of why I read in the first place goes away. A book is like a home. Looking at a screen all day just doesn't appeal to me.
Ah, but what about reading at night, in the dark, and not disturbing anyone?
THIS is why I finally broke down and bought a Nook w/glowlight!
Its way harder for me to concentrate during the day, with all the distractions around me.
kbsmith11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kbsmith11.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kbsmith11 »

I felt the same way about a Kindle as many of you...nothing like holding and smelling a good book. But there are many advantages to having a Kindle/Nook. I have a Kindle and there are advantages to being able to simply push a few buttons and have thousands of books at your disposal. I also don't like to buy books unless I will be rereading them. On my Kindle I can access free books, use library books, and buy books without having to leave my house. It is also easy to transport wherever I go and my children aren't picking up my book and loosing my place! I can read at night without disturbing my husband and I don't feel like I am looking at a tablet all day. I still read real books when I don't want to buy one on my Kindle.
Mom2Grey

Post by Mom2Grey »

Its not just being able to borrow library books that's so great...
Its NOT having to get off your butt to return them!

-- 05 Nov 2013, 18:06 --

No overdue fines, whoopee!
kbsmith11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kbsmith11.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kbsmith11 »

amen
Mom2Grey

Post by Mom2Grey »

And another thing that is always uppermost on my mind: damage.
I have an african grey parrot, and parrots chew. That's life with a parrot. He has chewed on many of my own books, and over the years I just came resigned to it. This is why I am reluctant to borrow hard copy from a library. Makes reading books an expensive endeavor for me. But with a Kindle or Nook, its my own property he will be destroying.

And...
He will :(
Its just a matter of time, unfortunately.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I do have a kindle and I love it. I get access to books I couldn't get otherwise. Our library is sadly lacking good books. I read some paper books as well of course.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
mgentile
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mgentile.html

Post by mgentile »

All I have is the kindle and nook apps on my phone. It is small to read, but I need to wear glasses anyway so it really doesn't bother me. Since my phone is with me everywhere, I always have something to read (sitting waiting for 2 hours at a doctors office?!) I remember when my daughter was born rocking her back to sleep with her little head on my shoulder, reading my book on my phone, small enough so it didn't disturb her, and it helped keep my from falling asleep!! Plus, as any other new mom would know, reading books would otherwise become a thing of the past, just no time(but in a good amazing way!) Anyway, if you have a smartphone, try the app to see if you like it, then invest the money if you choose to. I will also say. favorite books of mine are still sitting on a bookshelf so if I want to hold a "real" book, I can.
sybil1reader
Favorite Author: All crime authors
Favorite Book: Too Many to name
Currently Reading: CJ Lyons
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sybil1reader.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin

Post by sybil1reader »

I just bought my second Kindle and gave my old one to my husband. Now he would rather read on it than open a real book. I love both because I get so many free books on the Kindle and it is convenient when you want to read in less than ideal light. I have a library in my home and sometimes I sit in there just to look at all the beautiful books around me. Nothing can take the place of that.
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
Reader B
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-b.html
Latest Review: "Stronghold, by Backwoods" by Backwoods

Post by Reader B »

I'm thinking about getting a Kindle but I don't know much about them. For those of you reading on a Kindle, which one would you recommend? Are the Kindle E-readers more comfortable to read than a Kindle Fire?

Thanks!
Latest Review: "Stronghold, by Backwoods" by Backwoods
crimsonreader

Post by crimsonreader »

I don't own a Kindle as of now, but I am actually considering buying one. I truly believe that technology will never overcome the traditional ' paper book..

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”