Problem: Kindle Fire won't open .mobi file (solved)

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Problem: Kindle Fire won't open .mobi file (solved)

Post by Scott »

A user recently reported being unable to open a .mobi file after downloading it using the Kindle Fire. After some investigating I think I found the solution.

The issue is that the Kindle Fire automatically saves things to the 'Downloads' directory. However, the Kindle Fire uses the Kindle for Android app. So the book needs to be in the 'Books' directory.

You can either connect to a computer to move the files, or download a file manager like ES File Explorer.

Another option that might work is to email the file to your [email protected] email address. Then they show up as Documents.

If the solution does work, feel free to post a confirmation here too so that we can be sure this solution works.

Update Dec 4, 2015 ~ If this solution does not work for anyone, please post here to let us know. We can hopefully help. :) Please make sure to include more details so we have some information with which to help:
  • (1) Did you try the solution above?
    (2) Do you get some kind of specific error message?
    (3) Have you ever been able to open a mobi file with your Kindle Fire before?
Thanks!
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
alwaysreading09
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysreading09.html
Latest Review: "3 Days of Demons" by Ed Greenberg

Post by alwaysreading09 »

I tried with the ES downloader and it did not work. It woudlnt open it.

However, i went back and downloaded the File Manager for Kindle Fire and after i found the file under (Dont pick index out of the files or it wont work) the "downloads" file it give the option of HOW to open it and i chose "amazon kindle" (3rd in the list of options) and it opened it up. I did have to keep going into it the same way each time tho. If any issues arise I will be sure to post. (And im not sure if it will save my page so be sure to pay attention to where you are in the book).

-- 09 Sep 2012, 21:14 --

Ive confirmed that it does NOT save your page or give you the option to bookmark it like normal books.
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

I do not think you just want to open the file with the File Manager, but move the files from the 'downloads' folder into the 'books' directory for the Kindle for Android App. Hopefully, that will make it so the app automatically includes the file and saves your page and so forth.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

alwaysreading09
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysreading09.html

Post by alwaysreading09 »

It wont let me do that for some reason... if only you were in my town... we could meet for coffee and you could do it for me lol
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

How to manage files with any given app on the Fire, I am not sure. If it was me and the file managing app I was using did not let me easily move files, I would remove it and download one that did. (Even if the app is capable of moving files, if it isn't easy and user-friendly then I would just get another app because convince was the whole point of getting the app in the first place. But that's just me; others might find it more inconvenient to download and sift through new apps.) However, I definitely expect you can move files by managing your files using your PC.

Using PC to copy files to the Kindle Fire via USB on PC:

1. Connect your Fire to your computer with a Micro USB cable.
2. Unlock your Kindle! If you do not wake and unlock your Fire the computer will not connect to it.
3. Go into "Computer" (or My Computer ) and look for a new drive that shows up as being 4.99 GB. Double click the drive to open it. You can copy files from your computer to the Kindle and move files around in the Kindle just like you would for a flash drive.

However, upon further investigation, I have found that this issue of side-loaded books displaying on the Kindle Fire's documents shelf instead of the books shelf can be caused by being mislabeled with a certain meta tag. I do not know whether this would also cause the problem of it not saving your spot and such. If you have Calibre (which is free, and I use it), you can use Calibre to remove the problematic tag with the following instructions:

If you want your non-Amazon MOBI book to show in the Books page instead of the Documents page, you can do it like this with Calibre:

1. Select the MOBI book in Calibre
2. Right-click it and select "Convert books > Convert individually"
3. In the conversion page, scroll down the left column to "MOBI Output"
4. Beside 'Personal Doc Tag, where it reads "[PDOC]", DELETE it.
5. Now resave it over itself by selecting 'OK'
6. Now reload it onto the Fire
7. It will now show up in the Books page!

If I find a simpler solution, I will let you know. If you find a way to save your spot when opening side-loaded .mobi/.prc files, post the details here in case anyone else has a similar problem.

lyriko
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lyriko »

I was so excited to receive my kindle and after having it for less than a month it froze and never worked again.
I opened it but to no avail it was just a waste of money.
bookcrazymommy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by bookcrazymommy »

I have been having this issue. I will try hooking it to my laptop tonight and see if this works. I was very upset when I couldn't get my .mobi books to open. Thank you for posting this in detail
kaylahar6
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylahar6.html
Latest Review: "The Shades" by Anup Dhirwan

Post by kaylahar6 »

I'll remember this incase I ever need it! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Latest Review: "The Shades" by Anup Dhirwan
trabernathy29
Currently Reading: Cherry Lane
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trabernathy29.html
Latest Review: "The Wind in the Trees" by Christine Heffelfinger
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by trabernathy29 »

This is not working for me...I have both the kindle app and the nook app. How do I download for either?
Latest Review: "The Wind in the Trees" by Christine Heffelfinger
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

trabernathy29 wrote:This is not working for me...I have both the kindle app and the nook app. How do I download for either?
On which step exactly are you having the problem?

sound_readerrev
Favorite Author: Lynn Austin
Currently Reading: Cause of Death
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sound-readerrev.html
Latest Review: "Smog City" by Rebecca McNutt
fav_author_id: 7595

Post by sound_readerrev »

Is it possible to move the file of the book your reading to your kindle from your android? without using acrobat adobe reader? or can I also move the file from my to my kindle fire with that app?
Latest Review: "Smog City" by Rebecca McNutt
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

Scott wrote:
trabernathy29 wrote:This is not working for me...I have both the kindle app and the nook app. How do I download for either?
I am having the issue of the file will download but will not open in my Kindle app. It keeps telling me no application on my device can open it.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

literarycat wrote:
Scott wrote:
I am having the issue of the file will download but will not open in my Kindle app. It keeps telling me no application on my device can open it.
What format is it? Maybe you have to convert it to mobi.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

gali wrote:
literarycat wrote:
It is mobi
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

literarycat wrote:
gali wrote:
literarycat wrote:
It is mobi
Maybe a glitch. Have you sent a report about this issue?
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”