Kindle Prime: Good or Bad?

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
Mickaila
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Favorite Book: The Iliad
Currently Reading: Most Evil by Michael Stone
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mickaila.html
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
fav_author_id: 4642

Re: Kindle Prime: Good or Bad?

Post by Mickaila »

It's terrible, in my experience they hardly offer anything good, the stuff they advertise is not actual prime (law and order svu was advertised as available with membership but it was not, you have to buy the series). If you buy a lot from amazon you might want prime to save on shipping and then use the other features as minor perks, but they really don't give anything worthwhile and I cancelled mine after a disappointing three weeks. I have amazon student and I don't get anything they say such as lower shipping for my textbooks, I think its a crappy program.
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Mickaila wrote:It's terrible, in my experience they hardly offer anything good, the stuff they advertise is not actual prime (law and order svu was advertised as available with membership but it was not, you have to buy the series). If you buy a lot from amazon you might want prime to save on shipping and then use the other features as minor perks, but they really don't give anything worthwhile and I cancelled mine after a disappointing three weeks. I have amazon student and I don't get anything they say such as lower shipping for my textbooks, I think its a crappy program.
Thank you for sharing. I was thinking about joining, but won't.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Sweet_Lullaby
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-lullaby.html
Latest Review: "The Key-Stone of the Bridge" by Craig Meggy

Post by Sweet_Lullaby »

I don't think it's a good idea. 80$ a month isn't something everyone can afford.
Latest Review: "The Key-Stone of the Bridge" by Craig Meggy
Aivlys
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aivlys.html

Post by Aivlys »

The free monthly book isn't worth the amount; I read too much for a single free book to have much impact. BUT I do have prime because I love the 2-day shipping and order physical things from amazon a lot (I HATE to shop!). Plus the free streaming TV shows and movies are good lazy day entertainment between books because I don't have cable TV.

-- 14 Dec 2014, 20:34 --
Sweet_Lullaby wrote:I don't think it's a good idea. 80$ a month isn't something everyone can afford.
It's not $80/month, at least, not here in the US. I paid, like, $99 for the YEAR last time I ordered it and I would have far exceeded that amount in shipping of purchased items alone if I hadn't had prime. I should mention though that I purchase a lot of stuff on it because I don't like the lines in big-box stores.
lisarosemary

Post by lisarosemary »

I love my prime membership. I constantly order from amazon, and the free shipping saves me so much and the fact that I get it in 2 days to awesome. I also stream seasons of shows that I've missed and I love the book downloads.
Mcad20

Post by Mcad20 »

I absolutely love Amazon Prime. I use it all the time! I find that i can do almost all of my Christmas shopping from the comfort of my own home and the peace of mind knowing that the items will be delivered within two days. This utilization of the program once a year makes the membership price more than worth the $80. Once the Christmas rush was over, I started really getting to know the program much better. Prime members have access to thousands of Prime movies, tv shows, downloadable music, and of course the kindle library. You must own a kindle device for this. You will not have access to the kindle library from a tablet, phone or Nook ereader. I still download multiple free kindle books throughout the month, but kindle prime allows me access to a larger variety of new and pipular books as well. Throughout the year i also utilize Amazon's Subscribe and Save program. I order bulky products such as dog food and laundry detergent that i need in a monthly basis anyway. By having these products auto shipped, you receive a decent savings. They also offer amazon clip and save coupons which can be stacked on these savings. Search for prime eligible products only to take advantage of the free two day shipping. I save money to have monthly items delivered right to my door without the hastle of running out to the store. If you also take advantage of the Amazon Visa card, you also earn 3% in points that link right to your Amazon account. I pay off my card every month like a utitly bill. Everytime i checkout, there is an option to immedietly apply your points which lowers your total. Overall, i think that amazon has come up with a pretty great program which is worth its weight in gold (and valuable time) if you understand and ytilize the entire system.
JillianFae
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by JillianFae »

I personally love my Amazon Prime. The two day shipping was a lifesaver for the holidays, and it's convenient for other large purchases i'll be making this year as well (camera and tablet). I have to say, I have Kindle Unlimited, so I pay the ten bucks a month to borrow ten book at a time, so one extra really isn't that big of a deal.

I'd have to say my favorite feature of Prime is the movies and t.v. shows. Recently got started watching Sons of Anarchy and Vikings. It's basically the same price as hulu plus, only you don't have to watch five minutes of commercials per forty minutes show that you pay to watch.
beth9900
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by beth9900 »

I like Prime. I don't order a whole lot but the free shipping is nice when I need something quickly that I cannot find locally. There is also the Lending Library where you get one book free per month and then there is Kindle First. This allows you to get 2 books free before they go on sale. Both of the books I selected this month are listed for release at $4.99. So I have purchased $9.98 worth of books at no cost and received them a month before the general public. I also received my free book (usually priced between
$3.99-$10.99) so I have received this month $13.97 for $0.00. In addition, I can stream many different shows and movies. And for book lovers Bosch (based on the Michael Connell series) was really good.
gatorgirl_823
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatorgirl-823.html
Latest Review: "Slam" by Tash McAdam

Post by gatorgirl_823 »

I LOVE Amazon Prime. We use the Amazon Instant Video often and enjoy the 2-day free shipping option. I have a Kindle and love the free Lending Library book each month as well as the two free Kindle First reads. We haven't tried the free streaming of Amazon Music that comes with prime but sounds like another good perk of the membership.
holiwould

Post by holiwould »

I never get to make use of the monthly free book, since I swear my daughter is counting down the seconds and snaps it up before I can. I love Amazon Prime, for the music, movies, KindleFreeTime for the little ones, and, the second day shipping option. We have four Kindles in our family, so for us the extra expense is worth it. Although I wasn't thrilled that the price was $99. when it renewed this year.
gatorgirl_823
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatorgirl-823.html

Post by gatorgirl_823 »

I LOVE Amazon Prime and it's worth it for our family. I enjoy the 2-day no-minimum shipping (especially around the holidays), the free Kindle First book each month, the free lending library book each month, the Amazon video and there's also music streaming and cloud storage offered. Great deal for only $99 a year in my opinion. Depends on how much you will use all the perks to see if it's worth it for you or not.
luv2read30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luv2read30.html

Post by luv2read30 »

We love prime due to the free, fast shipping on so many products! I find myself looking there first for that very reason. However, I do not take advantage of the free monthly books often. It seems the books I want to read do not usually qualify.
iekelek23
Currently Reading: Tabloid Love
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iekelek23.html

Post by iekelek23 »

Stellabelle87 wrote:I personally love Amazon Kindle Prime. Besides the usefulness of the free 2 day shipping, there are usually many free books to choose from on Prime. I find it to be very worth the money with all you can get for free. If you're worried about the cost, you can also look into a trail version to try it out for free and sometimes Amazon has promotions for discounted Prime Rates. I couldn't live without Amazon and the Prime feature is great because I often read books I normally wouldn't because they were free on Prime.

I hesitate to invest in Prime, as I get to borrow a lot of free Kindle books from my local library...one free book a month, to me, isn't worth the Prime fees since I borrow for free and the fee would probably exceed the cost of the book...
JillianG
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">Stranger Child</a>
Currently Reading: Wreckage
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jilliang.html

Post by JillianG »

I have had kindle prime for one week now because they are offering a free 30 day trial. I think i might keep it after the trial is over. I have read 5 books in 7 days, all were free books with I guess kindle unlimited. I will only read the free books, but there is a huge selection. Now that I am not working and home all day, I can enjoy reading, but hopefully i wont run out the the free books. I will keep you posted on my decisions once the trial expires.
CaseyPaige
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caseypaige.html

Post by CaseyPaige »

I love love love Prime. Did you know that you can have a family member or friend authorize you to use their account? When my fiancé and I bought our first house together I started using his Prime. Not only can I get Kindle books for a Prime price which is lower than non-prime a lot of the time, but I can buy common household products and have them deliver next day. It's absolutely wonderful and saves so much time since I work full time and do a lot of traveling.

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”