Question over a long-standing marriage

Use this forum to discuss the February 2023 Book of the Month, "Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mitzi Perdue.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551978

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Re: Question over a long-standing marriage

Post by Harty Muli »

Julie Gebrosky wrote: 17 Feb 2023, 15:45 I completely agree with what others have said. Nobody knows what goes on behind closed doors or what was actually tried and not tried. None of us should judge because we don’t know what they were actually facing.
Thanks for the comment. The prob is that Mark is a public figure. Like any other celebrity, people want to know everything about him even what is behind the closed doors.
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:

Post by Harty Muli »

Hannah Hampton wrote: 18 Feb 2023, 15:29 I think that each relationship is really complicated, and it is impossible to know the extent of the internal conflict without living it oneself. It is entirely possible for divorced and remarried parents to raise well-adjusted and loved kids, so I think that Mark made what he believed to be the best decision for him and his family.
I agree totally. I hope he will get to reconcile with his children from the first marriage. Otherwise he would have failed as a father.
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:

Post by Harty Muli »

Alice Fu wrote: 18 Feb 2023, 19:25 I think that the idea you mention is an excellent one in a world where are relationships are great and people can live happily ever after. Unfortunately, from an outsider perspective, that is simply not realistic. There are many internal factors that determine how hard someone tries to save a relationship and things often just don't work out.
I agree with your comments. As a celebrity at least Mark could have tried to shed some light on some of these internal factors. Maybe in another Chicken Food for the Soul novel specifically for married and unmarried couples!
Pauline Parnell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Beyond the Clouds, the Sky is Blue
Bookshelf Size: 517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauline-parnell.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Pauline Parnell »

Divorce is a complex topic. The Bible only mentions adultery as a cause of divorce. Perhaps Mark met someone he felt he had to leave his wife behind because he could not live without them. If it was for the best, it's difficult to say.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

I don't believe in staying together due to kids, but it depends on the situation. As someone who came out of an abusive relationship with a toddler, that question was thrown at me a lot. But I see that it depends on what is going on in the marriage/relationship and what are you showing your children is right. Staying in an abusive relationship shows your children you accept what is happening and that there is nothing wrong with it, which is the completely wrong image to portray. So, it is difficult to judge unless you know EXACTLY what is going on and how many times have they maybe already tried to rebuild the relationship.
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

No "outsider" can fully know what has happened within marriage and whether the couple has made the best and most ethical choice or not. Even under the best circumstances, divorce is very difficult, so I'm not inclined to judge others on their choices.
Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-obioma-mgbeoji.html
Latest Review: Choices by Ogonna Juliet Nnamani

Post by Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji »

To be fair, we may never really know what went down in the relationship as regards to how the parties in it saw their marriage or what they saw it to be. Optimist or not, I do not believe that anyone should remain in a union they no longer believe in and try to fix what may seem to be unfixable. Either way he made his choice.
Meghan Sica
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-sica.html
Latest Review: House of Hoops by June Gillam

Post by Meghan Sica »

Sometimes marriage looks one way to those observing, but feels very different to those involved. There is so much involved in maintaining a marriage. I work at mine every day. There are so many times where I have wanted to call it quits, but continued pushing through all the flaws of my partner and seeing the brighter side of things. Sometimes I think people just can't over look the flaws, or they're tired of trying.
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:

Post by Harty Muli »

Pauline Parnell wrote: 19 Feb 2023, 15:58 Divorce is a complex topic. The Bible only mentions adultery as a cause of divorce. Perhaps Mark met someone he felt he had to leave his wife behind because he could not live without them. If it was for the best, it's difficult to say.
Yes, I agree with you there on the biblical grounds for divorce. What is clear is that the circumstance of their divorce was so personal they couldn't grant Mark's biographer an opportunity for an interview with them.
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:

Post by Harty Muli »

Hubre De Klerk wrote: 20 Feb 2023, 05:28 I don't believe in staying together due to kids, but it depends on the situation. As someone who came out of an abusive relationship with a toddler, that question was thrown at me a lot. But I see that it depends on what is going on in the marriage/relationship and what are you showing your children is right. Staying in an abusive relationship shows your children you accept what is happening and that there is nothing wrong with it, which is the completely wrong image to portray. So, it is difficult to judge unless you know EXACTLY what is going on and how many times have they maybe already tried to rebuild the relationship.
Thank you for sharing your story. The issue of violence in marriage is one major reason for toxicity in a relationship. I agree with you that staying together for the sake of the children is not a good option. The couple can agree to separate even if they are not divorcing. However, their biographer's conjecture may remain to be the only possible reasons as to why they divorced.
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:

Post by Harty Muli »

Patty Allread wrote: 20 Feb 2023, 11:39 No "outsider" can fully know what has happened within marriage and whether the couple has made the best and most ethical choice or not. Even under the best circumstances, divorce is very difficult, so I'm not inclined to judge others on their choices.
Agreed. We will have to be content with what Mitzi, Mark's biographer, observed.
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:

Post by Harty Muli »

Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji wrote: 21 Feb 2023, 06:54 To be fair, we may never really know what went down in the relationship as regards to how the parties in it saw their marriage or what they saw it to be. Optimist or not, I do not believe that anyone should remain in a union they no longer believe in and try to fix what may seem to be unfixable. Either way he made his choice.
Agreed. The biography reader though has an idea on what may have transpired to cause the breakup to their marriage.
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:

Post by Harty Muli »

Meghan Sica wrote: 21 Feb 2023, 10:33 Sometimes marriage looks one way to those observing, but feels very different to those involved. There is so much involved in maintaining a marriage. I work at mine every day. There are so many times where I have wanted to call it quits, but continued pushing through all the flaws of my partner and seeing the brighter side of things. Sometimes I think people just can't over look the flaws, or they're tired of trying.
Thank you for your contribution. Based on my own experience, I agree with you. Marriage is composed of people with different values and traits. To last, the parties involved must reach a compromise. Where this fails, I guess that's when people contemplate divorce.
ThankGod Onyishi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thankgod-onyishi.html
Latest Review: The Blood of My Mother by Roccie Hill

Post by ThankGod Onyishi »

I think only partners can truly understand the issues they face in their relationship and the reasons for their separation. A person may only state one reason for separation. However, there could be several problems that built up to that moment making the relationship irreconcilable.
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:

Post by Harty Muli »

ThankGod Onyishi wrote: 22 Feb 2023, 10:21 I think only partners can truly understand the issues they face in their relationship and the reasons for their separation. A person may only state one reason for separation. However, there could be several problems that built up to that moment making the relationship irreconcilable.
That's true. From the book, the couple's former accountant thought it was an issue of finance and Mark's former wife's spending habits. But this is just his word, nothing more. Thanks.

Return to “Discuss "Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mitzi Perdue”