Relentless

Use this forum to discuss the February 2023 Book of the Month, "Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mitzi Perdue.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551978

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Jack King
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Specter of the Past
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jack-king.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Re: Relentless

Post by Jack King »

Alex Reeves wrote: 09 Feb 2023, 11:29 I'm not very clear with the "chicken for the soul" expression, and I hope someone can enlighten me on this. Anyone?
I think the reference is very American. From my understanding chicken soup is often a go to comfort food when unwell etc and often associated with good physical health. I’m not 100% and from what I’ve read of the book so far it doesn’t give it any particularly meaning so every chance I am wrong!
Jack King
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jack King »

Alex Reeves wrote: 09 Feb 2023, 11:29 I'm not very clear with the "chicken for the soul" expression, and I hope someone can enlighten me on this. Anyone?
I think the reference is very American. From my understanding chicken soup is often a go to comfort food when unwell etc and often associated with good physical health. I’m not 100% and from what I’ve read of the book so far it doesn’t give it any particularly meaning so every chance I am wrong!
Andrea Peles
Currently Reading: Alaska Deadly
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrea-peles.html
Latest Review: The Poison Of Perfection by Angela Wadley

Post by Andrea Peles »

Since the book states that Mark went to India on his spiritual exploration, I would like to know whether some of you have found spirituality and if so, at which destination?
Natasha Hlongwane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natasha-hlongwane.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Natasha Hlongwane »

One of the best books for self-development. I think anyone would finish this book with newfound confidence in pursuing their goals relentlessly. Highly inspirational.
Jack King

Post by Jack King »

Natasha Hlongwane wrote: 11 Feb 2023, 08:18 One of the best books for self-development. I think anyone would finish this book with newfound confidence in pursuing their goals relentlessly. Highly inspirational.
I’m not usually a fan of motivational books but whilst reading it I am enjoying the focus on attainable goals. Being relentless isn’t easy but it is something we can all aim and work towards being. There is no magic formula for it but there are definitely tips to help.
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

I like that the author effectively highlighted the key takeaways and lessons that readers could learn from Mark Victor Hansen's experiences at the end of each chapter. This provided a focused perspective for the reader.
Me too! I have never seen this in a biography before. It makes it a hybrid of biography and self-help. The self-help aspect really fits with Hansen's writing career.
AllTooWell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alltoowell.html
Latest Review: Unlight by Chandra Shekhar

Post by AllTooWell »

Owuamanam Eberechukwu wrote: 11 Feb 2023, 04:26
AllTooWell wrote: 09 Feb 2023, 15:47 I love the title, and I believe it suits Mark Victor Hansen perfectly. His life was comfortable, I will not deny it, but he had to work hard every day to get to where he currently is.
Lol,

I disagree with this. Based on this book, I think his life wasn't so comfortable. He struggled a lot before getting on the top of the radar.
I do not know what is funny for you, that makes you lol...

Struggling a lot for him still meant he had a better and more comfortable life than a lot of people. He was able to buy a racing bicycle, by himself. You cannot say he was struggling and ignore that. Yes, he had a lot of hard times, he almost went bankrupt but individual moments cannot say his life was not comfortable. I never said he had it easy, I never said he did not work hard, I said he had a comfortable life because he lived most of the time in better circumstances than a lot of people did. Comfortable does not mean perfect or without any struggle. Oh, and most importantly, he never was alone, he had friends, guides, teachers, and parents, which is a lot of people supporting and encouraging him.
Yulisa Sanchez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 406
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yulisa-sanchez.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Yulisa Sanchez »

What is most enlightening to me about Hansen's life is how he started from the bottom and rose to success. He took lessons from his dad at a young age to heart and knew the value of hard work and dedication. "Never give up, no matter what" is a great motto to live by and it inspires others when we see it actually works.
Jack King

Post by Jack King »

As I read further in the authors background definitely adds validity and proof that his advice can be put into practice and can be successful whilst also still being attainable.
Cristina Corui Mihailescu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Christine M. Whitehead
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Shadow Song
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-corui-mihailescu.html
Latest Review: What is Autism? by Damien Rist
fav_author_id: 8698

Post by Cristina Corui Mihailescu »

One of my best memories from about 20 years ago was reading "Chicken Soup for the Soul" to my class and discussing the stories, one by one. It used to be a marvellous experience to see how teenagers perceived the meaningful stories. Now, a book about this relentless author could not be less than captivating!
Olga Markova
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Olga Markova »

As I am reading this book, I am enjoying it more and more as I move from one chapter to another. I loved the childhood antics by Mark and his brothers and his first business success as a child selling greeting cards. Now I am at the point where he overcame his bankruptcy and depression and started on his public speaking quest. Every chapter is full of motivational and inspirational wisdom.
Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 260
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rocky-ellery-james-tumbelaka.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka »

A very inspirational book. I always enjoy the Chicken Soup for the Soul series. I'm not surprise that Mark Victor Hansen's life is very inspirational. He isn't perfect, but he always thrive to be better. That is what I personally learn.
Brian Ruguru
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicroy.html
Latest Review: Sunshine Snow Snowbird by Kenneth Bainey

Post by Brian Ruguru »

Shillah Andeso wrote: 09 Feb 2023, 09:04 I love this book. It seems to say, "you can do it if you believe in yourself". I would love for other people to read this book. So inspirational.
If he did it, then anyone can do it. It takes hard work and resilience. We should never give up.
Brian Ruguru
Currently Reading:

Post by Brian Ruguru »

Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka wrote: 14 Feb 2023, 05:03 A very inspirational book. I always enjoy the Chicken Soup for the Soul series. I'm not surprise that Mark Victor Hansen's life is very inspirational. He isn't perfect, but he always thrive to be better. That is what I personally learn.
The stories included in the Chicken Soup series are inspiring and leave a positive impression on a reader. Ready great stories!
Brian Ruguru
Currently Reading:

Post by Brian Ruguru »

Olga Markova wrote: 12 Feb 2023, 20:05 As I am reading this book, I am enjoying it more and more as I move from one chapter to another. I loved the childhood antics by Mark and his brothers and his first business success as a child selling greeting cards. Now I am at the point where he overcame his bankruptcy and depression and started on his public speaking quest. Every chapter is full of motivational and inspirational wisdom.
When I read about his bankruptcy and overcoming it, I remembered the situation in the 2008 financial crisis. Businesses went down, and people barely survived. Relentless was an impeccable read!

Return to “Discuss "Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul" by Mitzi Perdue”