Is the society in the book better off than ours?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2022 Book of the Month, "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=523945

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Success Azuka
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-success-azuka.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Re: Is the society in the book better off than ours?

Post by Success Azuka »

The society in the book is far perfect than ours. Perfect is not too good so I think I prefer our society.
Savina Visintin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savina-visintin.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Savina Visintin »

Absolutely not, it is not worth the price. The society described in the book is disturbing because people's lives are too regulated. I could never live in such a society, and I sincerely hope we will never see anything like this happen in our lives.
FunkyFlowerLady
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

Hmmm, a world where rules are blatant and punishments as well, it sounds like a system that should work theoretically but for robots. And robots they were, but unfortunately not the real ones. For someone who is a human, but forced to live like a bot, this is ludicrous. I don't believe the dystopian society depicted in the novel is more advanced than our own. The ability to choose has been given to humanity, yet in this society, people are supposed to act and behave like robots and have no free will. If they do transgress, the penalties are severe. I wouldn't want to live in a world like this. Without the freedom to think for myself, I would not be able to function, and the gender-neutral colors make the world sound dull; no, it is not better.
Nemanja Jankovic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 526
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nemanja-jankovic.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Nemanja Jankovic »

I think that the society as described is no better than today's because it drastically limits any form of freedom. However, reading the book, I could not shake the impression that the society of the future will be quite similar to the one in the book.
Dauria04
Favorite Book: Daisy Jones and the Six
Currently Reading: The Mark of Athena
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dauria04.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Dauria04 »

I don't think the society in the book is better off than ours. Sure, some issues we face now are solved by the AI, but it was clear that many characters weren't happy with their lives and only followed the rules out of fear of what might happen to them, that doesn't seem like a happy society.
"I had no interest in being somebody else's muse.
I am not a muse.
I am the somebody."

-Daisy Jones & The Six, Taylor Jenkins Reid.
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

The world that is depicted is not a better one! Well, it does, as you indicated, address some contemporary problems. Yet it is not worthwhile. A world where using drugs as an escape and a system that can't even accurately read emotions is in charge of interpreting your intents and determining your fate is unacceptable.
Atieno Magero
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

I don't think that the society portrayed in Terms of Service is better than the one we're currently living in. Some issues have been solved but others have become worse. Some of the issues the citizens struggle with identity crisis, drug use, and mental illness. Plus, no is truly free. They're all slaves to the system.
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Yasmine M wrote: 08 Dec 2022, 07:26 In the futuristic society portrayed in the book, they seem to have managed to control some of the issues we face now in our societies such as the risk of overpopulation, food security... but was it worth the price they paid?
I don't think their society is better than ours. Yes, the crime rate went down and having a fridge that provides you with healthy foods and a housebot that cleans sounds nice, but the cost was definitely too high. Freedom of expression is an intangible and very important human right that is necessary. And at the end of the day, with dystopian cultures such as this, it's always inevitable that humans will rebel.
Medina Fedrick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medina-fedrick.html
Latest Review: Across the Kentucky Color Line by Lee Durham Stone

Post by Medina Fedrick »

I don't think it was worth the price, because the price is not only paid at that moment, but with every passing day. The price is paid even into the second book, The Prophecy of Heron, so I don't think it was worth it. I can't imagine having robots prepare my food, it'll surely be bland to my taste.
Sarah Sonbol
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

In my opinion, the portrayed society in the book is horrible. People no longer communicate normally and even friends meet each other in a VR world. Controlling your food, societal status and where you live is extremely terrifying.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Post by Not available anymore »

The Answer to your question is that is not worth it at all, yes they had security but they paid dearly with their freedom, freedom is a human right too.
Jerry Spencer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-spencer.html
Latest Review: I Said, "I Am A Nun" by June A Ramsay

Post by Jerry Spencer »

I won't say so. The society tried to detach itself from emotional attachments and emotions are what makes us human. Also, humans are producers of artificial intelligence. They should not be a god to us.
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

I do not think the society portrayed in the book is better than ours due to the fact that everything is technology based therefore prone to errors. Even if there were solutions to the errors, there is no guarantee that they will be prevented. A glitch in the system can mean life or death for someone. Someone else tells us, what we can eat, where we can go, and what we can do taking away our free will which is the lesson I learned while reading the book.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
Friederic Schröder
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-friederic-schr-der.html
Latest Review: Tangled Branches by William Bailey

Post by Friederic Schröder »

When it comes to technological advancement, they are. I still see greed and lust for power in this novel which we have in our current society. I think when it comes to humans, we are all the same, both in the novel and in reality.
CrossK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Post by CrossK »

While the futuristic society being portrayed in this book definitely had some of its advantages such as an orderly structure and cohesion, so much of the spontaneity and free will was removed from their general lives for me to still rate it above ours.

Return to “Discuss "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill”