Is the society in the book better off than ours?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2022 Book of the Month, "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=523945

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Olga Markova
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Re: Is the society in the book better off than ours?

Post by Olga Markova »

Tara D Morgan wrote: 09 Dec 2022, 13:35 I don't think the futuristic society portrayed in the book is better off than ours. Humans have been given the brain power to make choices, and in this world, humans are expected to behave and act like robots, having no choices in life. If they do step out of line, the punishments are cruel. This wouldn't be a world I would want to live in. I would not be able to cope if I wasn't allowed to think for myself and it also sounds like a drab world with all the gender-neutral colours; nope, definitely not a better world!
I fully agree with Tara. For me the futuristic world in the book is certainly not a better world than ours. In that futuristic world the controls at all levels, the total and absolute lack of privacy even in what is meant as "privacy booths", and the pre-programming of the human life paths since before they are born, are suffocating. Our world may have its issues, and many of them, but it still maintains the personal freedoms and the free will to think and act - that makes our world better than the world in the book. And the futuristic world simply cannot be better than ours because the AIs who are designed to control it are prototypes of humans and are made by copying the consciousness of humans, like Kim, carefully selected not to be perfectly virtuous. As the result, the AIs inherit the human sins plus they are made to lack self-awareness and be heartlessly unemotional and blindly obedient. What can you expect from this kind of enforcement authorities?! So no, not a better world in the book!
Hannah Hampton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-hampton.html
Latest Review: Forbidden Knowledge by Terence H.Young

Post by Hannah Hampton »

What an interesting question! I think it would help to define what "better" means. Characters in this book don't have to worry about socially constructed prejudices or inequalities based on appearance or gender, but they must sacrifice all individuality to protect themselves from these things.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

I don't think it was worth the price at all. Having almost no control over what you wear, what you eat, what you say and do, etc. But most of all, giving your child up - that is a definite no from me. Not worth the price at all!
Limpho Mojakisane
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-limpho-mojakisane.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow

Post by Limpho Mojakisane »

Nope. It definitely wasn't worth the price. They seem too restricted to a lot of things.
Limpho Mojakisane
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-limpho-mojakisane.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow

Post by Limpho Mojakisane »

Hubre De Klerk wrote: 20 Dec 2022, 04:28 I don't think it was worth the price at all. Having almost no control over what you wear, what you eat, what you say and do, etc. But most of all, giving your child up - that is a definite no from me. Not worth the price at all!
I have to agree with you on this one. Imagine not being able to raise your own child because of some terms! NOPE! Not for me!
Lindiwe Chakhala
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Rich Dad Poor Dad: Cashflow Quadrant
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindiwe-chakhala.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Lindiwe Chakhala »

Hubre De Klerk wrote: 20 Dec 2022, 04:28 I don't think it was worth the price at all. Having almost no control over what you wear, what you eat, what you say and do, etc. But most of all, giving your child up - that is a definite no from me. Not worth the price at all!
I agree. Just to look at the other side of the conversation, there are some societies that would not mind having no full control over their lives as long as things are running smoothly. Some aspects of the book do exist in the real world in different parts of the world.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I’m not sure that the society, as a whole, is either better or worse, just different. There were aspects, of course, that were worse, not getting to pick your partner and having no say in your life, for example. It would take getting used to. Fortunately, it is not thrust upon them all at once.
Ruka N
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruka-n.html
Latest Review: Tropical Scandal by David Myles Robinson

Post by Ruka N »

It definitely did not seem worth the price they paid. It felt a lot like a cult, and a heirarchy with poor people at the bottom was still in place. The society appeared to have had no avenues of gaining relief from everyday human issues and issues it created too.
Ruka N
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruka-n.html
Latest Review: Tropical Scandal by David Myles Robinson

Post by Ruka N »

My thoughts exactly, and the whole "Our children" but not caring whether the children had non traumatizing childhoods did not make sense.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

Not at all, by taking them away from their parents I believe they traumatized them more!
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

I think they have paid a heavy price for this progress because the citizens are easily susceptible to stress caused by their mode of interacting among the citizens. On a few occasions, Kim is cited as having an “empty void casting an empty shadow on an empty space…” due to the aftereffects of a love relationship between her and Rey.
Chris Alex Powell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-alex-powell.html
Latest Review: Ten Assholes and a Curmudgeon by Bruce Workman

Post by Chris Alex Powell »

I'm not sure I would want to live in that type of society. It made me cringe. I should decide what and how I would behave. To answer your question, the price was too hard to pay. Yes, the have sophisticated technology but I prefer our time.
Grace Lee Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-lee-rose.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Grace Lee Rose »

Nope. I wouldn't say their society is better off than ours. In some aspects yes, but in some, a big fat no. I would find it so appalling if an AI is to decide what I will eat. Gross.
Tracy Harris 1
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tracy-harris-1.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Tracy Harris 1 »

I don't think they were in a better society. Many of todays issues were solved such a food and housing shortages, but this was at the cost of free will, self and even love. The level of institutional control was far to great and imposed by AI's which lacked the humanity to understand our basic insticts and needs.
Wilkister Inzai Avagalwa
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wilkister-inzai-avagalwa.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Wilkister Inzai Avagalwa »

I would rather choose our current society than the futuristic one discussed in the book because the futuristic one denies humans freedom of will which is an integral part of human beings.

Return to “Discuss "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill”