The title of the book

Use this forum to discuss the December 2022 Book of the Month, "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=523945

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Julie Gebrosky
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-gebrosky.html
Latest Review: Archer the Therapy Dog by Katie Baron

Re: The title of the book

Post by Julie Gebrosky »

I think the title is perfect. Everything is about the terms and how they change without notice. The plot couldn’t unfold without the regimented world in which Kim lives.
Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 494
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: EXXXXCUUUUUSE ME? A Satire on Publishing by Richard Stephenson

Post by Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze »

Tara D Morgan wrote: 09 Dec 2022, 13:31 The title "Terms of Service: subject to change without notice" suits this book very well. The first thing you come to in the book is a list of all the Terms of Service that must be adhered to in this dystopian world. Also, the rules are changed throughout the book, adding to Kim's frustration with her life.
Exactly. The contents fit the title well. However, the title is just unpredictable untill one goes through the book. That's a great effort and creativity coming from the author.
Amina Grobbelaar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Devil amongst us
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amina-grobbelaar.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Amina Grobbelaar »

I think the title is quite fitting, and clearly shows the amount of control over the people. Without notice, things can be changed and changed again, for they are in control. It is the perfect title.
MichelleYong
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelleyong.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by MichelleYong »

At first I thought that the name was weird. I even thought "subject to change without notice" meant that the book name will change :lol2: After reading the book though, the title came across as ingenious!
Monale Bariyima Ueh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monale-bariyima-ueh.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Monale Bariyima Ueh »

The title is captivating. When I first it, it intrigued me. But it reflects the contents of the book perfectly. It describes the operations of Kim's life and the rules she had to follow. Also, the Company could change the rules anytime to suit their needs.
Alex Reeves
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Magnets
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-reeves.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Alex Reeves »

The title fits exceedingly well with the contents of the book. This is a very creative skill of authors, to give excellently matching titles to their books.
Chris Alex Powell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-alex-powell.html
Latest Review: Ten Assholes and a Curmudgeon by Bruce Workman

Post by Chris Alex Powell »

The book title literally explains what happened in the book. There are so many terms at the beginning and the way the rules are changed without notice. That's the exact name of the book. I think from the word go, the title portrayed the book.
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

I think the book's title is perfect! It caught my interest in the book. The "terms of service" are how the AIs communicate their control in society. We're all familiar with "terms of service" as a set of rules you must abide by and agree with, or else you can't be a part of something. Even my gas and water utility companies make me agree with their TOS before I can pay the bill online. In this story, the communication of TOS and the way it keeps changing, and the arbitrary targeting of certain users is also somewhat familiar, i.e., things we have seen on certain social media platforms! The author has projected the concept of TOS into a future dystopia in which no one is exempt and where counter-opinions are nearly impossible, yet individuals keep trying to fight back. It's brilliant!
Grace Lee Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-lee-rose.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Grace Lee Rose »

What I think about the title? My opinion about is is that it is excellent and perfectly fits the storyline. The characters in the narrative are held together by the terms of service they are to diligently adhere to.
Wilkister Inzai Avagalwa
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wilkister-inzai-avagalwa.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Wilkister Inzai Avagalwa »

The title of the book fully represents the content of the book. There's nothing out of the title to expect from the book.
Favour Amarachi Mgbeoji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-amarachi-mgbeoji.html
Latest Review: Operation November Blizzard by Stephen Snow (penname)

Post by Favour Amarachi Mgbeoji »

The title appears to fit the entire context of the story. Initially, I didn't know what to expect from the book because of the title. When I was done with the book, I don't think there is another title that would suit the book this well.
Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 494
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: EXXXXCUUUUUSE ME? A Satire on Publishing by Richard Stephenson

Post by Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze »

For me, the title fits well. Readers get to find out more about the title while reading the book. Other people may have their objection about the title but it might be the author's favourite catch. So, I'm okay with this.
Aloe Crane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aloe-crane.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by Aloe Crane »

Yasmine M wrote: 08 Dec 2022, 07:19 "Terms of Service: subject to change without notice", how well does this title reflect the content of the book?
I think it serves it quite well. By the end of the book, we realize that Kim's entire life is upheld by a terms of service. If she can't fit in, the government will likely kick her out or do something to her. They can do whatever they want because of their clause, that the terms are able to change.
Abby-Young
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Sarah J Mass
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abby-young.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 9321

Post by Abby-Young »

I think it fits incredibly well. The rules are always changing, your position is always changing. The AIs watch your every move and choose weather or not to alert you to your wrongdoing or to let you continue making mistakes that would earn you a more severe punishment.
Annas Felix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annas-felix.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Annas Felix »

The title of the book was perfect. Having to work under an AI company with crazy rules is crazy. Kim epitomizes the need to break out of the rules.

Return to “Discuss "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill”