Drug use controversial?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2022 Book of the Month, "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=523945

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Drug use controversial?

Post by Amy Luman »

I also wondered why the drugs were used so frequently. It seemed to be only on dates, though. Like someone else mentioned, the drugs were probably necessary since you were practically required to sleep with the other participant who was unknown.
Julie Gebrosky
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-gebrosky.html
Latest Review: Archer the Therapy Dog by Katie Baron

Post by Julie Gebrosky »

I think the drug use makes sense for the book. It was their outlet from a terrible situation. While I don’t love it, I understand it from a literary standpoint.
Vine Michael
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vine-michael.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Vine Michael »

I feel the use of drugs was one of the things that the AI could not control or rather didn’t care enough to do anything about it. It was like one of the ways they could act out or make a choice of their own and deal with the consequences.
Monale Bariyima Ueh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monale-bariyima-ueh.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Monale Bariyima Ueh »

I do not support the use of drug. But given the reality of that world, I feel it was necessary as a coping mechanism for the residents.
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

Drug use as described in the story added a sense of intrigue and mystery in the way this society conducted its affairs. It was contradictory that this society’s “Hierarchy” promoted healthy eating while at the same time encouraging drug use for recreation.
Kayla Archer
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla-archer.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Kayla Archer »

This very much reminds me of Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. In that story, the mother overdoses because she can't remember if she took her medication or not. The individuals in this story are similar in the fact they do not interact with each other anymore, computers are taking over, and humans are left empty and hopeless. Why do you need to take a drug to feel happy when you're on a date with a handsome man and out dancing? It paints a sad picture of what the future could hold if we continue to isolate from others. Man was made for relationships. The first and ultimate relationship was the Creator Himself: Father, Son, Holy Spirit. We were made for relationships.
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

I think the extreme drug use and unlimited vodka were an intentional part of the author's world-building. The society is "anti-selfist," meaning that you do nothing to please yourself that doesn't first benefit the whole. Emotions must be kept in check, child rearing is cruelly limited, and certainly, individual opinions that are counter to the "Terms of Service" are punishable. With every human impulse and individual freedom blunted, the AIs have provided drugs, alcohol, and sexual outlets at clubs as the only recreation that seems to provide freedom of expression through strictly physical sensation. It is trickery to quell the masses, totally under the control of the Company.

No one would agree with this pattern shown in the book as a means of living life, yet in a lesser way, isn't that exactly what people do in our current society? They use drugs and alcohol to solve problems, avoid confronting their true thoughts and emotions, and mask their pain. Today some call drug use "recreational," but I have never seen it that way. Just as Kim discovers that her first encounter with Rey was not all that satisfying after all.
Grace Lee Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-lee-rose.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Grace Lee Rose »

Although most readers might condemn the drug use present in the book, looking from a practical standpoint, we wouldn't deny the fact that most people in the world use it as an avenue to escape their problems for some time. And the way the AIs couldn't do anything about it or didn't care much about, that's the way the practice will always be in exit. So, getting all worried about the issue wouldn't really bring about any substantial change.
Tracy Harris 1
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tracy-harris-1.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Tracy Harris 1 »

I feel the use of drugs added to the story line. During matchmaker dates it seemed like the drugs were a way in which to stimulate certain sensations, and the normality of it, for me added to the level of control and heard like mentality of that society. I saw there use as 'medicating' in the story rather than illicit drug use.
This was cemented more for me when Kim and Shan had their rendezvous at the park without the aid of drugs, the sense of emotional satisfaction was highlighted by the author. This was in contradiction to the excessive alcohol use, and hangover pills which added to the feeling of emptiness which for me emphasised the use of the various substances as a means of control by the AI's.
Ogunkoya Mayowa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogunkoya-mayowa.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Ogunkoya Mayowa »

Although the drug part in this book was added to make the story interesting, the truth about life is that drug doesn't solve problem, after the drug work is finished you will continue with your suffering.
Israel10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-israel10.html
Latest Review: Creating Wellbeing and Building Resilience in the Veterinary Profession by Sonja A. Olson, DVM

Post by Israel10 »

I certainly think that it presented a measured reality of things as they happen in real life around us and added to the verisimilitude of this book so I found no problem with it.
Aloe Crane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aloe-crane.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by Aloe Crane »

Emily Meadows wrote: 11 Dec 2022, 12:38 I didn't love it! I definitely understood *why* they took the drugs, but it felt sad, and without spoiling it for people who are still reading the book, I think the author agreed it was sad. The Kim/Shan experience without drugs seemed so much more meaningful.
I agree. It was so sad to realize that their society is built upon unhappiness and drugs. When that unhappiness is removed, is there a need for drugs? At least to escape?
Aloe Crane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aloe-crane.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by Aloe Crane »

Holly Goncalves wrote: 07 Dec 2022, 18:11 I noticed that the official reviewer took issue with the drug use mentioned. What was your take on the drug use described in this book? Did you think it added to the story, detracted from it, or made no difference?
I think the drug use added to the story in a very subtle manner. Drug use is everywhere and widely accepted, yet we know it's wrong, but those in the book don't. At least, not really. The fact that drugs are not limited either makes it so that you know the government is aware of everyone's addictions, but they let it happen regardless.
Donna Walker
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vitality System
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donna-walker.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Donna Walker »

Holly Goncalves wrote: 07 Dec 2022, 18:11 I noticed that the official reviewer took issue with the drug use mentioned. What was your take on the drug use described in this book? Did you think it added to the story, detracted from it, or made no difference?
I think that, as sad as it is, the drug usage is really important to the story and very realistic. I know this from experience. Some truths are hard to swallow, but i commend authors who deal with issues like this head on as part of their work. I'd like to thank Craig W. Stanfill for not shying away from the nitty gritty. 
Crs webco
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: An American Conspiracy
Currently Reading: Resonant
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crs-webco.html
Latest Review: An American Conspiracy by Alan C. Moore
Reading Device: B07WGJ9KT3

Post by Crs webco »

Kelsey Roy wrote: 11 Dec 2022, 22:34 I always view drugs as a way for some to escape reality. Whether that’s pain, boredom, anxiety, it’s always an escape. I think the author’s use of drugs in this dystopian setting highlighted the uncomfortable nature of life. Kim used alcohol to first escape the monotony of her life, and then used drugs to deal with her “issues” with sexual interactions in the clubs. The author’s inclusion of these substances wasn’t offensive, it was another play on the themes within the book.
I agree, Kelsey. I have always seen drugs and alcohol as "escapes" from reality, and I can also see why they would be necessary to continue to control a population that was so restricted otherwise. I also think that the rampant use of VR technology to make people believe they are happy with their lives was another of those "control" actions.

Return to “Discuss "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill”