Drug use controversial?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2022 Book of the Month, "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=523945

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Okorji98
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okorji98.html
Latest Review: The Reason Under fire by Abdulmouti Souwed

Re: Drug use controversial?

Post by Okorji98 »

In a life where the routines, habits, and eating of the people was being regulated and controlled by AIs, I can excuse looking or turning to drugs to find a means of escape or temporary reprieve.
AnInternationalMountainMan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aninternationalmountainman.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature, second edition by Chet Shupe

Post by AnInternationalMountainMan »

I think the society requires a certain ammount of drug use. Many dictatorships nowadays have unbelievably high drug use statistics, so that an order and an easy handling of the population can be achieved by the state. On the otherhand the world of escapism through drugs is another factor to consider. People living near to starvation and desperatiin tend to abuse drugs more often. Even people who are only under stress tend to also use more drugs. Jyst to keep their sanity
Amandaruth Ama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iam-ama.html
Latest Review: The Curse of Northam Bay by Keith F Girard

Post by Amandaruth Ama »

Using drugs and alcohol on humans who are controlled by AI is a complex one topic that requires a closer examination of the interplay between individual behavior and technological influence.
Amandaruth Ama
Currently Reading:

Post by Amandaruth Ama »

It is possible that drug and alcohol use could contribute to a sense of disconnection and apathy that could make individuals more susceptible to manipulation and control. Substance abuse could also be a way for individuals to cope with the overwhelming sense of powerlessness that comes with living in a society where everything is controlled by AI and corporations.
Amandaruth Ama
Currently Reading:

Post by Amandaruth Ama »

However, it is important to note that substance abuse is not the only factor that contributes to the creation of a radical society. There are many other factors at play, including social and economic inequality, the erosion of privacy and individual rights, and the increasing dominance of technology in everyday life.
Amandaruth Ama
Currently Reading:

Post by Amandaruth Ama »

While it is true that the AIs have a vested interest in maintaining their power and control, it is unlikely that they would actively encourage behavior that is harmful to humans. I think the intention is to control and not to destroy.
Amandaruth Ama
Currently Reading:

Post by Amandaruth Ama »

The notion that Kim's access to alcohol is evidence of the AIs' desire to control her through substance abuse is not necessarily supported by the available evidence. It is possible that Kim's access to alcohol is simply a result of her status and privilege within the society. Or more likely the frustration of a controlled life.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Holly Goncalves wrote: 07 Dec 2022, 18:11 I noticed that the official reviewer took issue with the drug use mentioned. What was your take on the drug use described in this book? Did you think it added to the story, detracted from it, or made no difference?
Though the drug and alcohol use of Kim in the book made her more miserable, in my opinion, it adds to the overall beauty of the book. The readers feel more empathy for the protagonist, and on the author's side, his writing was effective and intelligible. It catches reader's attention.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Ben Madeley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-madeley.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ben Madeley »

It didn't bother me too much, but I'm not sure it was necessary. The very casual nature of the drug taking surprised me a little too. It was just a stabdar part of a normal night out or date.
FunkyFlowerLady
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

I considered drug use to be rational. The novel's society places a significant emphasis on upholding order, and it'd be incredibly difficult with a bunch of unhappy citizens. The introduction of drugs serves as a diversion from any discomfort that people may be experiencing. And the writer showed it in such a way that it was consistent with the rest of the plot.
Dauria04
Favorite Book: Daisy Jones and the Six
Currently Reading: The Mark of Athena
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dauria04.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Dauria04 »

I think everyone in this society turns to drug use as a way to escape the rigid routine of their everyday life, I believe it makes perfect sense in the context of the story to read about the characters using drugs.
"I had no interest in being somebody else's muse.
I am not a muse.
I am the somebody."

-Daisy Jones & The Six, Taylor Jenkins Reid.
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

For me, it's challenging to determine the value of pharmaceuticals in a society where artificial intelligence has taken over people's daily lives. On the one hand, you could understand it as a substitute for the ordered life they were required to lead. On the other hand, you'd assume that since the bots were in charge of people's diets, drug usage shouldn't have been permitted.
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Holly Goncalves wrote: 07 Dec 2022, 18:11 I noticed that the official reviewer took issue with the drug use mentioned. What was your take on the drug use described in this book? Did you think it added to the story, detracted from it, or made no difference?
I didn't actually have any issue with the drug use in the book. I only wished the author had explained why the characters had to rely on drugs to go on dates. It seemed like a very odd thing to do.
Friederic Schröder
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-friederic-schr-der.html
Latest Review: Tangled Branches by William Bailey

Post by Friederic Schröder »

I find nothing to object to about drug use in this novel, I think it definitely adds up to the excitement of this novel. The clubs, drinks, and buzz is another part of this novel that contributed to unveiling unusual secrets.
CrossK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Post by CrossK »

I do not think that the mention of the drug use detracted from any material or significant aspect of this story. If anything, it added quite a lot of dynamism and realism to the progression of the plot.

Return to “Discuss "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill”