Strange World  

Use this forum to discuss the December 2022 Book of the Month, "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=523945

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
David Chijindu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Play Golf Better Faster Handbook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-chijindu.html
Latest Review: Finding Our True Identity by Honey Dee

Re: Strange World  

Post by David Chijindu »

Technology, in my opinion, ought to put an end to this. I don't want to live in a world where artificial intelligence rules, if that is what the future holds. There are some things that I really appreciate doing on my own. This world is not one I would enjoy living in.
Monale Bariyima Ueh
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monale-bariyima-ueh.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Monale Bariyima Ueh »

While some of the technological advancements mentioned in the book can increased the quality of human lives, but there are huge tradeoffs such as freedom which I believe is a basic fundamental human necessity. I do not wish to live in such a world.
Crs webco
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: An American Conspiracy
Currently Reading: Resonant
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crs-webco.html
Latest Review: An American Conspiracy by Alan C. Moore
Reading Device: B07WGJ9KT3

Post by Crs webco »

readingswithsoso wrote: 14 Dec 2022, 14:40
Tara D Morgan wrote: 09 Dec 2022, 13:55 I like having technology in my life, but I wouldn't like to have it rule my life to the point that I am not really allowed to have my own thoughts or make my own decisions.
Agree :!2: :!: :!2:
I have to agree with you Tara! There may be some people somewhere who could live in a world of no choices and no freedom. That would not be for me! Much as I have always enjoyed technology, a world ruled by AI is truly terrifying to me. If I thought that my use of technology would lead to that kind of world, I would give up the tech in a heartbeat. But as I don't think that the little tech that I use can make a difference, I will continue to use it to post here, check my email, and keep up with my family. No Facebook or Twitter for me, at least not yet. The only reason that I might, eventually, would be to raise my reviewer score. LOL
Austin McMichael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-austin-mcmichael.html
Latest Review: Dagger's Destiny by Linnea Tanner

Post by Austin McMichael »

It is interesting to compare this world to our own world. Artificial intelligence is becoming a larger and larger part of everyday life and I think that books like this can help us to keep in mind the dangers of the extremes.
Ntokozo Joy Ndlovu
Currently Reading: The Last Imprint
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntokozo-joy-ndlovu.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ntokozo Joy Ndlovu »

I think in many ways than one, the world presented in the book might be a strangely accurate prediction of our own future in a few decades' time, save, maybe for corporations having that much control. I thought the world built by the author was simple and realistic, with attainable technology for our current world.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Linus Ann wrote: 06 Dec 2022, 01:35 There were a lot of interesting and unusual things about the world presented in this book: a VR-dominated world with AI house appliances, non-genderized colors, "birth-giver" and mentorship arrangements, etc.
While I was amused and intrigued by this new world, I knew almost immediately that I didn't want to experience living in a world as remote as that.
What was your impression of this world? 
Would you like to experience living in that kind of digital world? 
I find this world the author created nothing less than scary. If something like this would ever appear in reality, I do now know what I would do. I very much hope that our world never turns out like anything even close to that.
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Timothee22
Favorite Author: David Schwarzkopf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothee22.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
fav_author_id: 248826

Post by Timothee22 »

No, I would not. This is a world that would make people immobile. It would make them lazy. I'm an hardworking person. I prefer to work and get results. This would be detrimental to health and social life too.
Hunter Tester
Favorite Book: The Silent Patient
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hunter-tester.html
Latest Review: Whale of Wonder by Marie-Paule Mahoney

Post by Hunter Tester »

It was interesting for sure. The fact that they were controlled even before their birth was creepy.

Technology-wise, I can see that we were close in a lot of ways. We have fridges now that can do just about anything. We have VR headsets that can take you into other worlds. We have robots and self-driving cars. Although technology is great, it can be excessive.
Smrithi Arun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithi-arun.html
Latest Review: Derrick of Death by Malvina Lerma
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 6%

Post by Smrithi Arun »

Technology is supposed to help us, not rule us. AI taking over humans some day is a very common theory and a rather stretched out one at this point. It was a fascinating world but one that is only tolerable when you look at it from a third person perspective. I don’t think our future is so grim though.
Reading is dreaming with open eyes
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I don't think I can live in a world where everything is controlled and automatic. For example, Kim eats what the fridge offers. How about the joy of cooking your simple dish, it will be gone. The VR headset tells you what to do, how about your own decision, your heart's desire? The hierarchy dominantly wants you to level up but against your will. Everything was monitored and recorded, and all your private whereabouts are seen in the Chit-Chat. I can't imagine a life like that. AIs are nice but they will not supposedly take away my freedom.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Ben Madeley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-madeley.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ben Madeley »

The main thing that would be the issue for me was the concept of everyone having to give up their children to be raised by someone else. The trauma this would cause would be terrible.
Savina Visintin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savina-visintin.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Savina Visintin »

I agree with you, I did not like the idea of ​​living in such a world from the start. I think a world like this takes away from people the most precious thing they have, their freedom.
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I place a higher value on my freedom and uniqueness. I have always sought to blend in and not stand out in a crowd. I believe I now have a fresh perspective on the value of unique perspectives, skills, and personalities. I'm hoping I'll never live in a society this dystopian.
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Linus Ann wrote: 06 Dec 2022, 01:35 There were a lot of interesting and unusual things about the world presented in this book: a VR-dominated world with AI house appliances, non-genderized colors, "birth-giver" and mentorship arrangements, etc.
While I was amused and intrigued by this new world, I knew almost immediately that I didn't want to experience living in a world as remote as that.
What was your impression of this world? 
Would you like to experience living in that kind of digital world? 
The only thing I liked was the housebot who cleaned and delivered coffee and the smart fridge who have healthy food options. Other than that, every other thing was terrifying to even consider.
Nemanja Jankovic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 528
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nemanja-jankovic.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Nemanja Jankovic »

I think that the author in a very convincing way designed the society towards which, according to all parameters, we are moving. My impression of this world is that there is almost no freedom in it, but I would like to briefly experience this way of living.

Return to “Discuss "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill”