Is there a way to get kindle books to my nook?

Use this forum to discuss the Nook by Barnes and Noble. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Nook, deciding which nook to buy, or you already have a Nook and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Nooks.
IrishWFL
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irishwfl.html

Is there a way to get kindle books to my nook?

Post by IrishWFL »

I have a nook simple touch - no apps, only internet acesss is the Barnes and noble store. I have a kindle app on my iPad but don't like to read on my iPad. Is there a way to get my Kindle books to to the nook. I have calibre.
April B
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-april-b.html

Post by April B »

If there is a way, I haven't figured it out yet. I'm interested to find out myself. :)
karolinka
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolinka.html
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by karolinka »

I am also considering buying a Nook this Christmas and was wondering the same thing. Any ideas about that?
"How to be a writer. Step one: Write."
- A. Beauchamp.
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Word_Lover
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-word-lover.html
Latest Review: "A Taste of Highland Culture" by Evie Stapleton

Post by Word_Lover »

I am not familiar with the Simple Touch version of the nook, but the one that I had a nook not that long ago (it was one step down from the super Galaxy Tab) and had internet/app functionality. While that version was able to download apps (such as Kindle and Overdrive), I felt like I was having a lot of problems with it. The battery would drain really quick with all but one app closed and I had to reset the whole thing 2 or 3 times within 6 months of getting it. And let me tell you, resetting it was such a headache! You had to have multiple accounts and passwords before you could even get into it! It was such a mess that my husband ended up getting me an iPad mini to use as my e-reader and I love it. I am a fan of Apple products (on my 3rd iPhone and regular Mac computer) and am very pleased with my Mini. It is small enough to easily carry, pretty light weight and allows me multiple options for reading formats and apps. If you are not a fan of the nook, I would strongly recommend the iPad Mini for your e-reader replacement.
Latest Review: "A Taste of Highland Culture" by Evie Stapleton
afzalahmadshah
Currently Reading: The Woman in the Window
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by afzalahmadshah »

When there is a will then one have many ways to get
olaniyi02
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by olaniyi02 »

Is there no Other way to get this Nook done?
Cleis
Favorite Book: Garments Against Women
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-indepaintence.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Cleis »

I also have a Nook. I believe it was one of the first - a Nook WiFi maybe? If yours is as old as mine, you also have no hope of reading the kindle books on your e-reader (which is really too bad, I hate reading on a backlit screen).

If you have a Nook Color, try these directions to "unlock" it:
smallbusiness. chron. com/amazon-ebooks-work-nook-27312.html

Alternatively, you can use the system Calibre to change some e-book files into Epub files, which can be read on newer Nooks. This will only work on those that are DRM free, and you won't be able to tell which are until you run them through the system. Here's the link for Calibre if you want to give it a go:
calibre-ebook .com/

Nook is falling far behind amazon, it might be worth it to drop $50 bucks on an older or refurbished amazon model if your Nook is as old as mine is.
Flor14

Post by Flor14 »

just use the new model of nook so that it can satisfy your needs..
reimertm

Post by reimertm »

I have the Samsung which was used by BN to update their reader, and I was able to download the Kindle app to read ebooks from Amazon. As far as I know you won't be able to read Amazon ebooks on a black and white,unless you can side load from a computer like you would with a document.
Gamma-6

Post by Gamma-6 »

BN hasn't been the best way to experience E-books in the modern era of technology, if you want a second opinion. For readers, it's difficult to read a vast array of genres because with most Nooks, you only have the BN store. And adding apps to other E-book store options isn't that easy. And for authors, BN is only one single distributor out of the dozens of other popular that already exist.
In my experience, it is best to read E-books by using a laptop or portable computer and downloading free versions of E-book reading applications designated to each hosted site that publishes them. Or for smart phones, download a free BN app, set up payment information, and browse their store without the stress for file compatibility. I use Kindle Preview reader from Amazon's Kindle app on a computer, then select book type view after downloading the paid E-book through the app from Amazon Kindle's site, which eliminates the need for the expensive Kindle or tablet devices.

As for the first question, the best way to bring Amazon type E-books to a simple nook would be to download a Kindle reading app from the nook's app store, or hope that the system can handle a third part app installation from the ordinary browser through google. Honnestly haven't tried it though.
BkShpGrrl
Currently Reading: Heir of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by BkShpGrrl »

Word_Lover wrote: 23 Jan 2017, 15:37 I am not familiar with the Simple Touch version of the nook, but the one that I had a nook not that long ago (it was one step down from the super Galaxy Tab) and had internet/app functionality. While that version was able to download apps (such as Kindle and Overdrive), I felt like I was having a lot of problems with it. The battery would drain really quick with all but one app closed and I had to reset the whole thing 2 or 3 times within 6 months of getting it. And let me tell you, resetting it was such a headache! You had to have multiple accounts and passwords before you could even get into it! It was such a mess that my husband ended up getting me an iPad mini to use as my e-reader and I love it. I am a fan of Apple products (on my 3rd iPhone and regular Mac computer) and am very pleased with my Mini. It is small enough to easily carry, pretty light weight and allows me multiple options for reading formats and apps. If you are not a fan of the nook, I would strongly recommend the iPad Mini for your e-reader replacement.
I'm sorry you had such a hard time with your nook. Although I like and appreciate Apple products, I love my nook. Mine is about 2 years old and has the app and internet functionality. I have the nook library as well as my kindle books downloaded onto the device. It also has a removable SD card for extra storage. I have never had any problems with it. The price I paid at the time was $80 because I had a trade-in. Most Barnes and Noble Bookstores have an electronics expert that handles any nook issues. They can help you to fix any issues and help with some of the apps. The store is also good about connecting you to the corporate nook people in case you need to have your device repaired or have issues beyond the expertise level of the Barnes and Noble electronics expert.

That being said, I also have a 2nd-year I-Pad...yes, I know it is ancient in technology years. I cannot download most new apps anymore because it is beyond the point of installing updates. It still has the apps I previously installed including my Kindle app and books. It makes a great reader.
readsbyarun
Favorite Book: Wilderness Cry
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readsbyarun.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by readsbyarun »

I don't think it is possible as both works on different platforms and transferring between them is not possible.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

IrishWFL wrote: I have a nook simple touch - no apps, only internet acesss is the Barnes and noble store. I have a kindle app on my iPad but don't like to read on my iPad. Is there a way to get my Kindle books to to the nook. I have calibre.
I haven't actually tried this but, apparently, you can save your books to a micro sd and then read them on your nook. Apparently, they will read pretty much any format. One of my daughter's used to work at Barnes & Noble and she said that I could do that on the nook she got me, which was a long time ago, so I'm assuming the newer ones you could for sure.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?

Return to “Nook Discussion and Support”