Please Help!

Use this forum to discuss the Nook by Barnes and Noble. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Nook, deciding which nook to buy, or you already have a Nook and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Nooks.
Glacier_sky868
Currently Reading: Extinction Event
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glacier-sky868.html

Please Help!

Post by Glacier_sky868 »

I own a Nook Simpletouch, and I love it. I already had a ipad and I didn't care for reading on it. Since I have been trying to get back into reading more I wanted a simple ereader that was affordable. I just discovered the amazing ability to rent ebooks from local librarys. Of coarse I jumped on the opportunity to rent a few books I have been dying to read and rented a few books. What I cannot figure out is how do I download the book onto my Nook. Can anyone help tell me what I need to do so that I can download my rented ebooks onto my Nook?
merry_all_the_way
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merry-all-the-way.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by merry_all_the_way »

Okay, I'm too new to put up the link to the tutorial I used, but check out ruthtillman (put it in google like that) and then use the site search for nook overdrive. That should bring up her tutorial on how to get your books on your nook.

Hope that helps!
ElenaHVy
Favorite Author: Undecided
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elenahvy.html
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by ElenaHVy »

You might able to find out how to download your book in the Nook user's guide on the nook itself.
kathylapan
Favorite Author: Thomas Harris
Currently Reading: Near a thousand tables
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathylapan.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0
fav_author_id: 2793

Post by kathylapan »

You can call your library, a librarian could walk you through it. I know with a Kindle you download the book you borrowed from Amazon, it is probably the same with the nook.
novel_worm
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by novel_worm »

I used to work for Barnes and Noble and often helped customers with their Nook devices. When it came to customers wanting to download library books here are the directions I would give them, I hope this helps:
1. Get a library card from your local public library.
There is a number on the card you will have to enter when borrowing a book for your Nook.
2. Download "Overdrive" to your computer.
You need a computer to interface between your library and your Nook.
Each library will give you a link to the specific version of Overdrive you need to download.
3. Download Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) to your computer.
Overdrive uses Adobe Digital Editions to handle its digital rights management.
The latest version of Adobe Digital Editions is ADE v 1.7.2. A link to download the software is in the Sources section of this article.
You can activate ADE either by creating an account or anonymously. If you activate anonymously, you can only download books to one computer. If you create an account, you can download ADE to any computer as well as multiple types of e-readers.
4. Log on to your public library site and look for the digital media section.
You can access all the books the library makes available for e-readers.
5. Choose the book or books you want to check out.
Normally you are allowed to check out up to 3 books at one time. Check with your library to see what its policy is.
6. Check out and download the book to your computer.
You will be asked for either a barcode number, a pin number or a password in order to complete the check-out process. Normally this information can be found on your library card.
Download your book to the ADE software on your computer. Normally you are given 30 minutes to activate the download. The book will be returned to the library If you do not download it before the time expires.
7. Open the Adobe Digital Edition software on your computer and look for your book.
ADE will download the book and open it for you.
8. Click on the library icon on ADE.
This icon looks like a small shelf of books and can be found in the top left hand corner of the ADE window.
9. Connect your Nook to your computer using a USB cable.
10. Find your Nook listed in the bookshelves section on ADE.
If you do not see your Nook listed, try unplugging and re-plugging the USB connection.
11. Click and drag the book to the Nook icon.
The right-hand side of your ADE screen will display any book that you have downloaded to ADE. Just click and drag the book over to your Nook icon on the left side of the screen. Hover over the icon and release your mouse button. Downloading to your Nook should begin immediately.
12. Find the book on your Nook in your library or documents folder.
The download should take no more than a few minutes, depending on the size of the book you borrowed.
Ktwills79
Currently Reading: Mistress Bradstreet
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktwills79.html
Latest Review: The Elf Archive - Book Two of the Magi Charter by Jordan David
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Ktwills79 »

Oh my gosh, this took me months to figure out! I did finally get it in the end though, and it was totally worth it. Looks like novel_worm has given you a good set of instructions, so good luck!
BkShpGrrl
Currently Reading: Heir of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by BkShpGrrl »

Ktwills79 wrote: 30 May 2018, 14:37 Oh my gosh, this took me months to figure out! I did finally get it in the end though, and it was totally worth it. Looks like novel_worm has given you a good set of instructions, so good luck!
I'm glad novel_worm has given great and clear instructions. With my local library, I downloaded Overdrive but then they had a separate app called Libby. When I sign into my local library app on my Nook, it says "If you prefer to read with Kindle, we can open books directly to your Kindle device or Kindle app." Mine automatically goes to my Nook unless otherwise requested. I'm not sure if I set that up when I downloaded the app or not.
readsbyarun
Favorite Book: Wilderness Cry
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readsbyarun.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by readsbyarun »

Thanks for the guidelines. I also found the solution one of of the video on YouTube and that was super easy to follow.

Return to “Nook Discussion and Support”