Help!

Use this forum to discuss the Nook by Barnes and Noble. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Nook, deciding which nook to buy, or you already have a Nook and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Nooks.
DennisK
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Help!

Post by DennisK »

My Nook is a model that B&N first introduced. I bought it because I was attracted to it's dictionary. I think that is the most attractive thing about Ereaders, in that when I come across a word that I do not know, I don't have to lay my book down, open a dictionary, look the word up and then try to find my place when I resume reading.
But that is were my praise ends. Lately, I have been reading from papered books, but yesterday, I just finished one and I didn't have any others I wanted to read; so I picked up my old Nook and went on-line to B&N's website where I bought an Ebook which I intended to download into my Nook. I discovered I can't do that anymore. Use to be, when I bought an Ebook on line, B&N would send me an Email from which I was authorized to download the book into my computer, and from there, I uploaded the book into my Nook via USB port. After calling their SUPPORT people, I learned I can't do that anymore because they are afraid the book would be stolen. It seems I have to be near a WiFi center so that my Nook can upload it directly. The problem is, I live way out in the sticks and the nearest WiFi area is about 40 miles away. My internet connection is via satellite.
I did go online to see if there was a solution to this problem and I came across one that suggested an app called Adobe Digital Editor. I downloaded the app and installed it. True to form, it grabbed my Ebook, but when I tried to open it, I was denied access by requesting a user name and unlock code which B&N will not give because they are still afraid I would steal the book that I just bought.
If anyone knows of a trick I can use to get this book into my Nook – without driving 40 miles, I would sure appreciate the help. :roll:
jjrb07
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by jjrb07 »

That is ridiculous. Do you have a smartphone that can create a temporary wifi hotspot? You could try that, or try to grab it with your smart phone over your carrier's network. Otherwise I would call B&N back and kick it up the chain of command until you can get someone to give you the code. I also live out in the sticks and I was able to get them to do that for me a few times. Satellite internet is the worst.
DennisK

Post by DennisK »

Thanks for the suggestion, jjrb07 - I do have a smart phone, and come to think of it, even though I live out of the phone's service area, I was able to receive a Yahoo password verification code on my phone through my computer's wireless connection to the internet. If I understand you correctly, I will probably receive the book into my phone via my own WiFi, and then find someway to load it from my phone into my Nook. My Nook does recognize my Belkin WiFi connection, but it tells me that the WiFi is not in range; so somehow I've got to get it into range via my phone .. ? I'll need to do some exploring the next time I buy online. Earlier this week, I went into town for supplies, and while there, I stopped by B&N and got this book into my Nook. If this gets to be too much of a hassle, I'll just put the Nook away and plan ahead with orders to Amazon.
Living in a rural are as you do, what kind of internet connection are you using?
jjrb07
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by jjrb07 »

If you have internet on your phone (ie- your phone is 3/4G) then you should be able to download the B&N app. From there the book should automagically appear on the B&N app (because 3/4 G says so). After that you can say "screw it, I will read it on my phone" or pick one of a few actions:

1) Use that it is on your phone as additional proof of purchase to get them to give you that code to get it on your nook
2) Use your cable to download it from your phone to your computer, from your computer to your nook (this used to work, I give no guarantees that it will now)
3) If your phone is 4g and has the ability, make it a temporary wifi hotspot and link your phone and your nook together and beam your book from your phone to your nook wirelessly

If none of those work, I would get back with them and have them reimburse you and complain until they come up with a satisfactory solution. The e-reader was created for people like us without access to bookstores and libraries, and they should have policies in place to make this work. I really am sorry for your troubles, and I hope this helps.
DennisK

Post by DennisK »

jjrb07, thank you so much for taking the time to try to work this out for me. I was able to download the book to my cell phone, but I'm still working on transferring it from the cellphone to my computer, and ultimately to my nook – I don't like reading from my phone because of the screen size. The next time I go into town, I'll stop in and explain my problem – again. I'm not going to argue with them – that just isn't my way. I've already called customer support, and the kid working their desk could not offer any solution. The real potential of E-readers may never be realized by Barns&Noble. I only go into town every two weeks, and with a little bit of planning, on-line orders can be received in less than that time. It may not be as good as instantly receiving my purchase, but it is better than what Barns&Noble can offer.
readsbyarun
Favorite Book: Wilderness Cry
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readsbyarun.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by readsbyarun »

This is something really frustrating. The devices cannot be designed to be completely dependant on the internet. I sometimes feel the other devices like kindle are much better when it comes to the synchronisation offline.

Return to “Nook Discussion and Support”