Cracked Screen

Use this forum to discuss the Nook by Barnes and Noble. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Nook, deciding which nook to buy, or you already have a Nook and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Nooks.
mellysw
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellysw.html

Cracked Screen

Post by mellysw »

I bought a nook HD plus earlier this year to use at work. They don't care for you to have books out, but they are ok with e-readers. I fell in love with my nook, and haven't bought a physical book since. I am on it every day. EVERY day. Without fail. I have over 650 books on it so far, few of them free ones. In short, I have a lot of time, money, and love invested in my little nook.

And today I cracked the screen.

Totally my fault. And I don't have the extended warranty - I never get those things. No problem, I am willing to pay to have it fixed. I call up B&N today, explain my situation, ask how I get it fixed.

It turns out I am in warranty. If I was out of warranty, I could get a lower-priced replacement. But since I am in warranty, but I don't have the extended warranty, they can't do anything.

That's right. Nothing. They won't fix it. At all. No matter that I offer to pay for the replaced screen, as well as for them to fix it. Nope, not gonna do it.

I called two local places that replace screens for laptops, phones, etc. They won't touch my nook.

Has anyone had this problem, and if so, what did you do? I love my nook! I don't want to go to Kindle Fire, but if I can't get it fixed I probably will.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

That sounds so suspicious.... you are still in warranty but they won't even touch the screen, even if you pay? it sounds like they are just trying to make you pay full priced for a new nook or something. Annoying! I have never had a nook (always been with Kindle since the beginning with no troubles) so I wouldn't know what to do... but I can imagine the frustration.

-- 12 Oct 2014, 23:31 --

That sounds so suspicious.... you are still in warranty but they won't even touch the screen, even if you pay? it sounds like they are just trying to make you pay full priced for a new nook or something. Annoying! I have never had a nook (always been with Kindle since the beginning with no troubles) so I wouldn't know what to do... but I can imagine the frustration.
Sfarabee
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sfarabee.html

Post by Sfarabee »

You might want to call back again and see if talking to someone else would give you different information. I know it seems like every time I talk to someone else when enquiring about a product the answer always seems different. It may be worth a try.
mellysw
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellysw.html

Post by mellysw »

I got to thinking maybe you were right, Sfarabee. So I called back just now. It seems I understood correctly. Because I am under the basic warranty they will not fix or replace my nook. If I was out of warranty, I could get a replacement nook for a reduced amount.

This is the most mind boggling thing I have ever run into.

I completely understand I will be paying. I got that. I didn't get the special warranty, and I freely admit the cracked screen is my fault. But at least let me get it fixed!

Gaahhhh!
Sfarabee
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sfarabee.html

Post by Sfarabee »

That is crazy I hate that as a "older" customer you don't have the opportunities as "new" customers. Companies now and days are so worried about getting customers they can't take care of their current customers. It just makes me sad.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

How disappointing. I would have expected better from B&N....
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

Barnes and Nobles are notorious for their terrible customer service.

When I cracked my Nook Simple Touch screen, I bought a compatible one from Alibaba and did the replacement myself. It was easy and affordable, and everything's working perfectly fine.
Juelz1318

Post by Juelz1318 »

The worst but yet I continue to read lol
Manminder

Post by Manminder »

Oh! Its something not good at all but it's OK to learn something new.
readsbyarun
Favorite Book: Wilderness Cry
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readsbyarun.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by readsbyarun »

the service is always on the disappointing side when it comes to these devices. All the devices are designed to be for complete replacement rather than repairing its part.

Return to “Nook Discussion and Support”