What kind of Nook would you reccomend?

Use this forum to discuss the Nook by Barnes and Noble. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Nook, deciding which nook to buy, or you already have a Nook and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Nooks.
jankmab
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jankmab.html

What kind of Nook would you reccomend?

Post by jankmab »

I am thinking about buying a nook soon, so what do you guys recommend for a new nook? I had the original Nook Color and want to upgrade. Can you provide price
heathersusanne
Favorite Author: JD Salinger
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heathersusanne.html
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by heathersusanne »

I bought the first Nook 3G when it came out, and just recently "upgraded" to the Nook Glowlight just because I wanted the e-ink with a light so I can read when SO is sleeping. I loved everything about my Nook 3G, especially the way I could buy books anywhere. The Glowlight doesn't have that capability, so if I'm out and about, and I don't have wifi, I'm stuck reading whatever crap I downloaded and didn't read because it wasn't a good book. The good thing about the Glowlight is it's only $99, and 10% off with the BN Membership.
jjrb07
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by jjrb07 »

It really depends on what you want out of it. Do you want something that is more of a tablet (you had the color), or do you want something that is dedicated to reading with an e-ink display. I personally like the e-ink, but I didn't go for the Glowlight because it didn't have expandable memory so I went one generation older. I am super happy with it, but if you want something color I would just get a 4G tablet and put the nook app on it (which is essentially what the nook is). If you do that you can buy books everywhere, and your wireless carrier probably has a really good deal running that will get you something cheep. The benefit of today is you have the app available and don't have to lock in if you aren't going e-ink. That said, the Glowlight is pretty cool.
AKBookAddict
Currently Reading: City of Lost Souls
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akbookaddict.html
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by AKBookAddict »

Hello,

I have literally had almost every nook out there except for the black and white only one (which my mother-in-law has) and the nook lite. I do have some personal preference but completely agree that it depends on what you want to get out of it.

First, make sure to get a newer nook or one that a charger will be easy to replace 5 years down the road. The reason I say this is because 1.) My favorite nook, which isn't super old, and is built by Barnes and Noble, has a very uncompatible-with-anything-else charger. 2.) My cats like to chew on cords and got to this particular one after they stopped selling the charger online and in stores (at least in Alaska).

I will say Barnes and Noble customer service is quite amazing though. After telling them about my dire situation they let me order oneither specially over the phone (normally not permitted) and express shipped it to me.

Second, if you want to use your tablet for anything other than reading, get a BIG base memory - and not just an extra memory card. I have to say, the Samsung Nook is my biggest regret of a purchase. It has these really cool word and excel apps but will not download anything else because the memory is full. When I try to remove (uninstall) unnecessary items there really isn't any (except for one game I bought that is not that big...seriously.). So, I did what any sane person would do, I bought an external memory card. However, most apps do not want to load to the memory card and almost all pre-loaded apps refuse to be moved from the main memory to external memory. The Samsung nook also has the issue of having the nook as an app like you would on your phone. It's like your not getting the BN experience. Plus this app stops due to error a lot or forgets to save your bookmark.

Alas, I continue to use my regretted purchase because I am in denial I wasted money and because I really wish when you organized your shelves on one nook they transfered to all the others.

My recommendation from what is offered from BN, even given my first tip above, go for the Nook Color HD+. The battery life is comparable to other tablets. If I'm straight reading I can have it on for about an average of 8 hours. If I use it every so often, it can stay alive for a month without a charge. I love the graphics and color. I like that I can watch Netflix when I travel. My shelves look cool and you can personalize everything.

If you are only going to do reading though, go for the nook lite. Other than it being small I hear it has a great battery life.

I hope this helps. :)
doyle5
Currently Reading: Steelheart
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doyle5.html

Post by doyle5 »

heathersusanne wrote:I bought the first Nook 3G when it came out, and just recently "upgraded" to the Nook Glowlight just because I wanted the e-ink with a light so I can read when SO is sleeping. I loved everything about my Nook 3G, especially the way I could buy books anywhere. The Glowlight doesn't have that capability, so if I'm out and about, and I don't have wifi, I'm stuck reading whatever crap I downloaded and didn't read because it wasn't a good book. The good thing about the Glowlight is it's only $99, and 10% off with the BN Membership.
Thanks! This really helped.
Janlovesbooks
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Janlovesbooks »

I am thinking about buying a nook but I am so used to reading ebooks on my phone or iPad I don't know if I could adjust to one if I bought one.
agreenwood
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agreenwood.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by agreenwood »

You will love an ereader @Janlovesbooks! I was convinced I only wanted to read books in the physical form, but my husband got me a nook for my birthday a couple years ago and I love it! I still read my books, but I read a lot on my Nook now. It is so easy to take with you anywhere you go, and there are no ripped pages, worry about ruining the book, etc. It's fantastic!
TeaAndSpooks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 50187">The Girl from the Well</a>
Currently Reading: The Bionics
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teaandspooks.html
Latest Review: "Fantasy or Reality" by Ruth Andrews Garnes

Post by TeaAndSpooks »

I am considering getting a Nook Glowlight soon. I have never had an e-reader before. I read up on it and really like that there's a backlight and it seems simple enough, because I do not really want a tablet with a bunch of features. Does anyone have any good experiences with the Glowlight? I found a good used one for about 60 dollars. Should I buy it?
Beautiful_Soul
Favorite Author: Jodi Picoult
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 481">Peter Pan</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2678

Post by Beautiful_Soul »

TeaAndSpooks wrote:I am considering getting a Nook Glowlight soon. I have never had an e-reader before. I read up on it and really like that there's a backlight and it seems simple enough, because I do not really want a tablet with a bunch of features. Does anyone have any good experiences with the Glowlight? I found a good used one for about 60 dollars. Should I buy it?
I'm in the same boat. I have read a few books on my iPad but I'm really wanting something a bit smaller. Since I already have the iPad I don't really need something fancy with all the features. Basically for reading only. I have a coupon from Barnes and Noble for $30 off the Nook Glow Light Plus ($129.99) Plus 10% off with my Membership. How great is that?!? I still can't decide if I should get it!
TeaAndSpooks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 50187">The Girl from the Well</a>
Currently Reading: The Bionics
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teaandspooks.html

Post by TeaAndSpooks »

Beautiful_Soul wrote:
TeaAndSpooks wrote:I am considering getting a Nook Glowlight soon. I have never had an e-reader before. I read up on it and really like that there's a backlight and it seems simple enough, because I do not really want a tablet with a bunch of features. Does anyone have any good experiences with the Glowlight? I found a good used one for about 60 dollars. Should I buy it?
I'm in the same boat. I have read a few books on my iPad but I'm really wanting something a bit smaller. Since I already have the iPad I don't really need something fancy with all the features. Basically for reading only. I have a coupon from Barnes and Noble for $30 off the Nook Glow Light Plus ($129.99) Plus 10% off with my Membership. How great is that?!? I still can't decide if I should get it!
You should get it! I bought a used Glowlight (I dont think its a Plus) and I love love love it! It's the perfect size to fit in my purse so I can carry it with me everywhere and B&N constantly has free ebooks on their store that you can download straight to it! I would totally recommend it. (besides, its super cute!)
Beautiful_Soul
Favorite Author: Jodi Picoult
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 481">Peter Pan</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2678

Post by Beautiful_Soul »

I did decide to buy the GlowLight Plus the other day! I set up my account and messed around with it for a bit. Now, all I need is a book to read. I'm having trouble deciding which book I want to purchase first. I'm so indecisive about everything! I love the small size and glow light feature. The screen isn't as bright as the iPad and definitely easier on the eyes. I love it so far! :) :)
nfauchald
Currently Reading:

Post by nfauchald »

My recommendation would be the fairly recently introduced nook tablet. This device retails for just $50.00, and it is a brightly lit reader that includes an incredible number of apps, including email, google search, and many more. Although I have used it to purchase some books from B&N, I use it most extensively to borrow e-books from a local library web site, a very easy process. Incidently, B&N purchases can be shared with another nook user, which in effect doubles the value of any purchase.
rhyta09

Post by rhyta09 »

I am happy with my Simple Touch with Glowlight. I plan on keeping them as long as I can, didn't care for the plus (took out the SD card). I did buy a Glowlight3 for Christmas last year but so far not sure it is an improvement so I may sell it.

Return to “Nook Discussion and Support”