Nook errors

Use this forum to discuss the Nook by Barnes and Noble. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Nook, deciding which nook to buy, or you already have a Nook and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Nooks.
krismags
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krismags.html
Latest Review: "Love to Believe" by Lisa Ricard Claro

Nook errors

Post by krismags »

My Nook has recently started started doing some strange things- changing pages, opening and closing apps, etc. without me touching it. This most often happens when the battery is low, but not always. I seem to "lose control" of what the device does, and the only way to stop this is if I turn it off for a while. Can anyone help me? Is it possible that I have a virus or something?
npandit
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-npandit.html
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen

Post by npandit »

That's so weird. Sometimes I used to have those issues with my Nook, but I'd just switch it off and on again and the problems would go away. Maybe the Barnes and Noble customer service people might be able to help, next time you're at their store?
krismags
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krismags.html

Post by krismags »

It goes away if I switch it off for a while, but it's just getting really frustrating to have to turn it off all the time. But yours stopped doing that after a while?
npandit
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-npandit.html

Post by npandit »

Yeah, it stopped. Although these days, the battery life is so low (I got mine in 2011) that I hardly use it anymore.
shinjiblue
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shinjiblue.html
Latest Review: "The Stones of Judgment" by Deborah Wise

Post by shinjiblue »

These seem to be known issues with Nooks, along with the inability to hold a charge and the random lines that would permanently appear and run across the screen, obscuring text. This is the reason I no longer have a Nook and will never own one again. The reading experience is far superior on a Kindle or tablet, if only because I don't have to constantly deal with random malfunctions.
Latest Review: "The Stones of Judgment" by Deborah Wise
Snowfall
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowfall.html

Post by Snowfall »

I do like the nook better then the kindle (I can't stand the ads on the screen when you go to unlock it). But my nook has been giving me issues lately =/ the nook shop won't load and it's really annoying I'm not sure how I'm going to buy anymore e-books. I think I might have to end up downloading them from other places or moving the books I buy from my computer to my nook.
jmlambert
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jmlambert »

I actually had a similar problem. My Nook would freeze completely. I had to let the battery die completely and charge it again to use it.
I gave up after the 5th time and went to Barnes & Noble to ask how to fix it. They had told me that Barnes & Noble doesn't support my Nook any more, so it will not be getting anymore updates to fix any issues. They said my choices were sadly, to start from the factory setting or buy a new one.
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

This is so weird because I have been having some trouble with my Nook HD +. When I first purchased it which was about one and a half year ago every thing was perfect with it. Lately, its been lagging, shutting off, crashing etc. I also thought that I had gotten a virus. It's good to know that I am not the only one. I was going to purchase another one but... not sure about that now. However, I also have the simple touch and the nook color which I have owned for quite awhile and they are still performing well. Its just this Nook HD + that I am sadly having issues with.

I have gotten so frustrated with it, I only download and read library books and nook books on it now; it works really well for this. However, Internet usage is just to slow and Apps shut down way too often. Also the error messages are endless.
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

I have some tech geeks in my family who explained it once when my device started acting up. Basically, it's typically due to the way the electricity is moving while you're Nook is on (thus, the glitches). It gets worse if it's been a while since you've let it run out of battery juice. You probably just need to let the battery run out. Once it's charged, plug it in and do a hard reboot. Depending on which version of the tablet you have, you usually hold the center button and power button down simultaneously until it reboots. Don't worry, you won't lose anything. I don't know why, but that usually fixes any app-related device if they start acting wonky. If not, then call Nook support or go in.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

My nook has done this a few times in the past, but never persistently. Overall, it has been very good to me, thankfully! :)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
TammyO

Post by TammyO »

It worked! I allowed my battery to drain completely. I charged it afterward and it is now working like it once did. Thanks for tip everyone. :) Hopefully it doesn't start acting wonky again.

-- 30 Oct 2014, 21:34 --
rssllue wrote:My nook has done this a few times in the past, but never persistently. Overall, it has been very good to me, thankfully! :)
Rssllue, at least now if it does happen you know what to do to solve the problem. I was so stressed about it! Now I can relax and enjoy my nook again. :lol:
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Yes. I am very glad we can share information like this to help each other out. Just another reason that this is a great site! :D
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
TammyO

Post by TammyO »

My nook was working a lot better after I let the battery drain completely for awhile. However, my nook began freezing on me again and the errors were back once again. I had to reset my nook. I made sure I saved all of my important files that I had stored on my nook to my sd card. There were many apps that I had to replace. However, thankfully, with Google, I was allowed to restore them all, free of charge.

I am happy to report that my nook hd+ is now like it was when I first purchased it. It took a little doing but I am once again a very happy nook owner. :)

Return to “Nook Discussion and Support”