Using a NOOk OUTSIDE the USA!

Use this forum to discuss the Nook by Barnes and Noble. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Nook, deciding which nook to buy, or you already have a Nook and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Nooks.
Mom2Grey
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mom2grey.html

Using a NOOk OUTSIDE the USA!

Post by Mom2Grey »

HAHAHA... OMG... I GOT IT!!!! I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT!!!

If you are outside the USA - including Canada - Barnes and Noble will not allow you to buy NOOK books or even to download free ones. From what I can gather, Canada will not allow B&N to compete with Chapters and Indigo... so much for that Free Trade Agreement, but I digress....Amazon managed to get around it somehow. But B&N is stuck.

What you do is change your address and phone number to an American one. Pick something, pick anything. The whole thing flies onto your credit card anyway, there's no paperwork. Finally, FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY B&N allowed me to purchase a copy of "The Faithful Executioner" to read on my Nook.

I am over the moon!!!!
whero
Currently Reading: The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whero.html
Latest Review: "The Maestro, The Magistrate & The Mathematician" by Tendai Huchu
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by whero »

Ha, totally understand your problem, I got a Nook in australia. Thankfully, the device has somehow managed to connect to my Kobo account (I had a Kobo before until it decided it didn't want to sync at all) so it was all good really, and I didn't lose any of the books I had before either. :)
Latest Review: "The Maestro, The Magistrate & The Mathematician" by Tendai Huchu
Nadezda
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadezda.html

Post by Nadezda »

Crazy. I'm glad you got it to work. :) Its kind of ironic, but so far the only ebooks I've read on my Nook outside of the Kindle app have been PDFs and classics I downloaded from Project Gutenberg.
sophiachic
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophiachic.html

Post by sophiachic »

Same here, its mad
tanya+yeah

Post by tanya+yeah »

I did not know this and will stockpile books if I travel overseas since my Nook is my favorite hobby after my son goes to sleep. Thanks for sharing!
karolinka
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolinka.html
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by karolinka »

Interesting. I travel overseas once a year. Good to know this, since I am getting a Nook this holiday season. Thanks!
"How to be a writer. Step one: Write."
- A. Beauchamp.
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
flavorific17
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flavorific17.html

Post by flavorific17 »

I absolutely love the Nook! I live in Barbados and a friend of mine bought a nook for me a few years ago. I used to enjoy watching Mad Men on it every evening when I came in from work. It had a malfunction so I have to decide if to get a new one or just see if my old one can be repaired. I really miss it and the free books that you can download.
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

I downloaded Hotspot Shield to have an American IP, so that B&N wouldn't prevent me from shopping.
readsbyarun
Favorite Book: Wilderness Cry
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readsbyarun.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by readsbyarun »

have you tried using the proxy server? because for me it works by changing the country,
AnimeBoy

Post by AnimeBoy »

I envy you it didn't work out for me, can anyone give more detailed instructions?
leonard cavallaro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leonard-cavallaro.html
Latest Review: A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen

Post by leonard cavallaro »

I only really read physical books (except through Online Book Club) however I was wondering if I was to get an e-reader what I would do and it's good to hear nooks are available around the world now.

Return to “Nook Discussion and Support”