My Nook runs out of battery every day

Use this forum to discuss the Nook by Barnes and Noble. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Nook, deciding which nook to buy, or you already have a Nook and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Nooks.
BookCollecting101
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookcollecting101.html

My Nook runs out of battery every day

Post by BookCollecting101 »

I try to charge my Nook when I am sleeping. I read a lot, however and often read well into the middle of the night. Invariably, I get the red 15% of battery remains and the suggestion to plug it in late at night. It always seems to happen when I am engrossed in a book. I now keep books of short stories on my night table for such occasions. I have been disabled since my 2nd and 3rd cancer diagnoses and though I spend lots of time on line, I spend much time reading. Is the Kindle battery life any better? Plus I heard that B & N will no longer be supporting the Nook - which is kind of a bummer as I have well over three hundred books loaded onto mine... How about it Kindle users? Does the Kindle have a better battery life than the Nook?
marybethkwilliams
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marybethkwilliams.html

Post by marybethkwilliams »

Which Nook do you have? My husband and I both have Simple Touch readers without the Glow Light, and we only have to charge our batteries every few weeks.
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

I agree. I also have the nook simple touch and battery life is endless for me. I read on my Nook several weeks before needing a charge. It sounds like you may have the nook tablet; The kindle fire is pretty much the same. If you are wanting to simply read on your e-reader purchase a nook or kindle e ink reader.
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
CausticKitt
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caustickitt.html

Post by CausticKitt »

Nooks are frought with energy issues, and if you use any charger other than the one it came with there is a chance of overcharging and burning out your battery because it has a very narrow band of amplitude tolerance.
CarrieBrown36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carriebrown36.html

Post by CarrieBrown36 »

Turning off the Wifi on your Nook will greatly increase your battery life. I have a classic Nook and if I keep it in airplane mode I can read actively and only have to charge once or twice a week. Also, my mom's a compute tech and I learned from her as a battery gets older, it will hold less of a charge. I have a device that should have a 5 hour battery but it's been recharged so many times that it now only lasts an hour or so. I've priced Nook batteries and luckily they're not too expensive and very easy to install.
shdelp
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shdelp.html
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by shdelp »

I have a nook and for the most part the battery is ok unless like some others, I read into the night. When the battery does go down, it is usually close to the end of the book so have to stop and charge the battery. One thing I think they need to change is that when you are charging the battery, I cannot read the nook like you can keep on using the cell phone when it is charging.
scottchisem
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scottchisem.html

Post by scottchisem »

I've had the same problem. I have a Nook HD and it seems that now a days it can't keep a charged battery for more than a few hours. I've tried searching online to find a solution, but I haven't found anything yet!
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

if it's an hd, turn the brightness down as far as you can stand and keep it in airplane mode when you're not needing the wifi. It will last longer that way, but you do have to keep in mind an hd is more like a tablet and will run out of juice pretty fast. You're better off with a simple touch if you need it for long uses. If it's not a tablet, that means the battery's going bad and you'll probably have to buy a new one. As for kindle users, my kindle does stay charged longer, but mine's the basic paperwhite. Despite what they say, though, it hurts my eyes to read on it and I hate how you can't turn off the light on it. My Nook tablet doesn't bug me that much, but I mostly read from the simple touch I own and use the hd for brief reading periods.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

I agree. When I turn the brightness down on my HD+ or put it in airplane mode my battery last a little longer. They don't seem to last long overall though. I prefer reading on the simple touch or the kindle paper white, the battery last so much longer on these devices.

You should consider using the tablet for games, email, surfing etc...This way you prevent yourself from becoming frustrated when the battery dies on you while you are reading. Those rare times that I do read on my HD+ I use the sepia color and dim the brightness. It just seems to agree with my eyes. My reading experience is so much more enjoyable; I never read more than an hour however, on my tablet. This way I don't have to recharge my tablet as often. The more you charge the battery, the shorter lifespan the tablet has and it is not replaceable. You have to purchase a new tablet. :roll:
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
lisaw1003
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisaw1003.html

Post by lisaw1003 »

I have a Nook Simple Touch with Glow Light. I've never enabled the wi-fi and I also keep my brightness level pretty low, since too much brightness bothers me. Even when reading every night for half hour to an hour, the charge usually lasts a few weeks. I only use the charger it came with to charge it. I've had mine for over a year (a year ago Christmas) and have not had any issues with it yet.
online books

Post by online books »

Change the battery, it could be problem with battery alone.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

I think the more gadgets and abilities a Nook has, such as internet surfing, apps, video, etc., the more inclined it is to have less battery life. I have seen that Barnes and Noble has a new Nook paper white which is made exclusively for people who only want a device to read with, which means it likely has much more battery life than a Nook like mine which needs to be charged daily as well.
readsbyarun
Favorite Book: Wilderness Cry
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readsbyarun.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by readsbyarun »

In general nook has a better battery life but it also depends on the versions that you are using. I have coloured display and hence the battery doesn't lasts longer when compared with the other versions.

Return to “Nook Discussion and Support”