What are the differences of Nook Color and Nook Tablet?

Use this forum to discuss the Nook by Barnes and Noble. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Nook, deciding which nook to buy, or you already have a Nook and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Nooks.
Shadow_Steph
Favorite Author: Ally Carter
Favorite Book: Gallagher Girls
Currently Reading: Seeing Green the eco mystery book three
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 4387

What are the differences of Nook Color and Nook Tablet?

Post by Shadow_Steph »

I was in the store last week and saw the new tablet but I couldn't figure out what was different from the nook color. Could anyone enlighten me? Thank you have a good day
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

A lot is actually the same between the two, but I will run through many of the core differences:

$199 - Nook Color:
  • 800MHz single-core processor
    512 MB RAM
    8 GB (6GB for content; 5GB reserved for Barnes & Noble content)
    Up to 5,000 books
    15.8 oz (449g)
    Up to 8 hours of reading
$249 - Nook Tablet:
  • 1GHz dual-core processor
    1 GB RAM
    16 GB (13GB for content; 12GB reserved for Barnes & Noble content)
    Up to 10,000 books
    14.1 oz (400g)
    Up to 11.5 hours of reading or 9 hours of video
    Netflix & Hulu Plus™ Preloaded
    Supports Netflix video up to 720p and sideloaded video up to 1080p; renders at 1024 x 600
    Built-in microphone
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Shadow_Steph

Post by Shadow_Steph »

Thanks that was most helpful, at moment I have a nook first edition was deciding what next for me and might sound weird cause didn't even say this one but I think I'll end up getting just the nook touch I was messing with the color and tablet demos it hurt my eyes, I rather have the e ink reader.
zola

Post by zola »

There has been a great fight between Kindle Fire Vs Nook Color since the launch of the tablet Kindle Fire as both contains near about same features. Before the launch of Kindle Fire, the price which you need to pay for the Nook was $249. However, after the launch of Kindle Fire on 15th Nov 2011 at a price point of $199, the price of Nook Color has to be dropped down to approximately the same price as set for Kindle Fire. Now let us see the major reasons behind the decrease in the price of Nook Color after experiencing both the gadgets Kindle Fire and Nook Color.

Design:

Both the Kindle Fire and Nook Color have 7-inch displays (1024 x 600 resolution) and thus are about the same size. However, at 7.5 x 4.7 x 0.45 inches, the Kindle Fire is a bit smaller than the Nook Color, which measures 8.1 x 5.0 x 0.48 inches. It’s also lighter: 14.6 vs. 15.6 ounces.

The Nook Color has more visual flair and a more comfortable holdability factor. The Kindle is very plain-looking by comparison. However, it’s made to work comfortably in either portrait or landscape orientation where the Nook Color works best for a comfort standpoint in portrait.

Power / Speed:

Since the Kindle Fire’s CPU is newer and 1GHz dual-core processor instead of single, it’s likely more powerful and will offer better performance. The Nook Color’s CPU is 800MHz single-core processor. They have the same 512 RAM.

Storage Capacity:

We can use a micro SD card in Nook Color. This will create a large space for us to download pictures, documents, and music in the gadget. However, the space will be of 32 GB which can get occupied after a limited storage.

Kindle Fire provides 8 GB internal memory and it can be again extended to unlimited storage capacity because of Amazon’s cloud technology. The storage capability of the Kindle becomes stretchable due to this new technology of Amazon. Hence in terms of storage capacity also the Kindle is better than the Nook.

Browsing the Internet:

Due to Amazon cloud, Kindle Fire gets additional strength, huge space and speed while uploading any website and hence over taking the Nook in terms of website uploading and browsing the internet. This makes Kindle Fire better than the Nook in terms of web browsing.

Movies and Videos:

Kindle Fire also offers you a large collection of movies and videos with the help of Amazon cloud and the vast library of videos and movies. The best part of it is you can not only watch these videos and movies but can also save them in your Kindle Fire.

Nook Color does not facilitate you with the feature of storing videos and movies in it. So, the Kindle surpasses the Nook in terms of storing videos and movies.

Apps:

Barnes & Noble’s store is specifically for the Nook Color and features a few hundred apps that fit into this device’s theme of a “Reader’s tablet.” There are a few games and productivity apps, but the main focus is on book or reading-related apps.

The Kindle Fire again moves beyond the reading focus of the Nook Color in this department. Though it doesn’t have access to apps from any Android app store or market like a normal tablet, you’re more likely to find your favorite app here than on the Nook thanks to the larger selection.

Price:

Today, the Nook Color costs $249 and the Kindle Fire costs $199. Barnes & Noble may bring down the price of the Nook in response to Amazon’s offering, but until they do the Kindle looks like a better deal.
Shadow_Steph

Post by Shadow_Steph »

Just to point out the previous poster is wrong at the end, nook color is the same price as kindle fire also Barnes and noble offers more flexibility then Amazon, bn offers up to six devices to an account, Amazon offers two, as for kindle bring superior of course you just compared it to a two year product, newer technology always has an edge on older tech.
Chelsea Ridenour
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsea-ridenour.html

Post by Chelsea Ridenour »

I've been wondering the same! Is it worth the extra money to upgrade to the tablet?
mb30
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mb30.html
Latest Review: "Failed States" by Brennan Kraxberger

Post by mb30 »

I used the tablet given by my friend to get familiar and teach them the function. I have my own laptop. In general, I felt tablet is too bulky for following reasons.
1. too heavy 2. too many apps cramped into it. 3. sailing through multiple functions does not give enjoyable experience

In conclusion, combining all functions in one gadget is not a good idea. Non of the functions can be served better.
Latest Review: "Failed States" by Brennan Kraxberger
CausticKitt
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caustickitt.html

Post by CausticKitt »

In name only.
scottchisem
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scottchisem.html

Post by scottchisem »

I would recommend getting the Nook HD. I have one and I love it!! It's only $129 for 8 GB and $149 for 16 GB.
stacyrobison1

Post by stacyrobison1 »

Is is true that Barnes and Noble are going to stop making nooks?
purpleflower
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purpleflower.html

Post by purpleflower »

I haven't heard if they are going to stop making Nooks. I have a Nook Color and the original Nook (now very dated, my husband loves the non-backlit screen). I bought my mom a Kindle Fire HDX 7". I set it up for her and played with it to make sure it all worked. After looking a ebook prices between a Nook and Kindle, the next reader I purchase will be a Kindle (cheaper books). I like the size and menu, there are a few different ways to get where you want to go. And Amazon has Kindle Unlimited as well as listening to Audible on the Kindle.
JillianFae
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by JillianFae »

Thank you for posting this, it was very useful information everyone contributed. I just recently purchased my mom the Kindle Fire HD 6 that was on sale for a hundred bucks as a birthday gift and she loves it.

I however, do not have one yet (what's wrong with me). I've been thinking about also getting the Fire HD 6, since it's such a good deal, but have always loved B&N and didn't want to leave them out of the running. But, after reading the comparison, I think I've made my choice.
nmpond1986
Currently Reading: The Iron King
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmpond1986.html

Post by nmpond1986 »

I've had the original Nook and the Nook tablet, both before the age of smart phones with apps, and the original Nook was my favorite simply because it came with 3G in it already and the ability to side load additional e-books. I also found that one of the side buttons cracked from over use (surprise surprise) and that Barnes and Noble customer service did replace it at no extra cost to me. But over all the original Nook was a good starter for an e-reader. The tablet I received as a Christmas gift from my husband but he wasn't happy with how it performed technically (he's a computer whiz with plenty of hands on experience) so back it went. Since then, I haven't had a dedicated e-reader now that I use the Barnes and Noble app on my smart phone. But because of limited storage and the like, I am considering going back to an ink-reader that can be dedicated to my e-books once I decide whether or not I want to continue investing in paperback novels or go totally e-books.
readsbyarun
Favorite Book: Wilderness Cry
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readsbyarun.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by readsbyarun »

there are lot of difference between them among its features and configurations. I would suggest you to have a look on their website and compare both of them to get a better idea.

Return to “Nook Discussion and Support”