The Death Clock

Use this forum to discuss the November 2022 Book of the Month, "Blue-Collar Cash: Love Your Work, Secure Your Future, and Find Happiness for Life" by Ken Rusk.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=495665

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Jennifer Coxon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Lost Secret of the Ancient Ones by Chris Reynolds

The Death Clock

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

What did everyone of feel about the death clock? Do you think it would inspire you or would you fall into a pit of despair like Rusk?

I think seeing it tick away second by second would not be conducive to me being more productive but I agree with the sentiment it left behind of being conscious of what you are spending your time on.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I think that it would make me less productive, not more. I mean, really, who wants to think about how quickly the end is coming. I would be thinking “What’s the point?”
Emily Meadows
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-meadows.html
Latest Review: Forever Young by Karma Wiederrick

Post by Emily Meadows »

I think I would react the same way he did which is to say... not well. I am already feeling closer to death and I'm in my mid-40's. HAHA! It's a fascinating idea for a clock, but no thank you!
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Alice Fu »

I think my interpretation of this would greatly have to do with my current motivational position. If i saw the idea of a countdown, I could either find it really depressing, or really motivating in a sense of wanting to make the biggest impact with the small amount of time that i have.
Kenesha Latoya Fowler
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenesha-latoya-fowler.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Kenesha Latoya Fowler »

It would do a bit of both. On one hand it would inspire; we should be aware of our time, how we use it, how much of it we have (potentially, because nothing is guaranteed). Sometimes we forget about our mortality, so the clock would be a reminder. One the other hand, staring at it would drive me crazy. So I'd keep it, but not on my desk where I have to see it all the time. Maybe in a cupboard or closet; I would take it out when I need a gentle reminder that time's a-tickin'.
"No one is ever satisfied where he is," said the switchman.
~from The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupéry~
Alexandur Gicov
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandur-gicov.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Alexandur Gicov »

Hmmm, how are you going to live the rest of your life if you know you have a few grains of sand in the sandbox? Some will say one thing, some another, but in the end, everyone will be right, because it is a law or magnitude that nothing and no one can stop. This fact is frightening because every day could be your last! But if you live with the constant thought of the end, has it already come for you or will you ignore it and do what you do best and leave your mark in the snow? For you, for others, and especially for your family!
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading:

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

:D
Kenesha L Fowler wrote: 13 Nov 2022, 17:41 It would do a bit of both. On one hand it would inspire; we should be aware of our time, how we use it, how much of it we have (potentially, because nothing is guaranteed). Sometimes we forget about our mortality, so the clock would be a reminder. One the other hand, staring at it would drive me crazy. So I'd keep it, but not on my desk where I have to see it all the time. Maybe in a cupboard or closet; I would take it out when I need a gentle reminder that time's a-tickin'.
I like your style and quite agree! :tiphat:
Danielle Briggs
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielle-briggs.html
Latest Review: Moonlit Nights by Jacob Parr

Post by Danielle Briggs »

I think the death clock would distract me from being most productive, even though it does act as a reminder of what little time we do have and to spend it wisely. Similar to when there is a sudden, unexpected death near us, it reminds us that life is short.
Emily Meadows
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-meadows.html
Latest Review: Forever Young by Karma Wiederrick

Post by Emily Meadows »

I wish we had a way to "like" posts in here, because I agree with you Danielle Briggs!
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading:

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

Emily Meadows wrote: 17 Nov 2022, 14:45 I wish we had a way to "like" posts in here, because I agree with you Danielle Briggs!
I agree completely. I was just thinking that reading on one of the other topics. We’ve got so used to liking things with social media, but I do sometimes just want to show my appreciation.
Cheryl Erickson
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

Wow, I think that I would not want the Death Clock around, constantly reminding me. I would probably focus on it too much and it would stress me out. I'd rather follow my grandma's advice and "Live each day to the fullest!"
Stephanie Cameron
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-cameron.html
Latest Review: Grizzly Lake by Robert Woods

Post by Stephanie Cameron »

I enjoyed the story of the death clock. I think I would just end up doing more "spur of the moment" things versus being consumed by the thought of running out of time. I probably wouldn't get any work done though.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I could not live with a Death Clock; I would be totally focused on the impending day and likely just spend a lot of time panicking and/or crying.
Pauline Parnell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Beyond the Clouds, the Sky is Blue
Bookshelf Size: 517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauline-parnell.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Pauline Parnell »

I think some people pay too much attention to the death clock. It will depress anyone because the end is inevitable. My advice is to make your life count - live an enjoyable life, be thankful for those around you, and be content with your surroundings. Knowing that ultimately we go back to our creator, we should always pay homage to the Almighty.
Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-obioma-mgbeoji.html
Latest Review: Choices by Ogonna Juliet Nnamani

Post by Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji »

I feel if I had a clock telling me how long I had to live, I would probably be depressed each day. Even if I had things I would want to do, the knowing feeling that I could die in two days would be so discouraging. I would still try to make a mark though.

Return to “Discuss "Blue-Collar Cash: Love Your Work, Secure Your Future, and Find Happiness for Life" by Ken Rusk"”