Comfort, Peace, and Freedom as goals

Use this forum to discuss the November 2022 Book of the Month, "Blue-Collar Cash: Love Your Work, Secure Your Future, and Find Happiness for Life" by Ken Rusk.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=495665

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Marsha JJ
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: On the Precipice of the Labyrinth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsha-jj.html
Latest Review: Tyler's Promised Gift by M. C. Abushar

Comfort, Peace, and Freedom as goals

Post by Marsha JJ »

In Blue Collar Cash the author shares in the beginning of the book that "a life of comfort, peace, and financial freedom is the ultimate goal." Do you agree with the author that this should be one's ultimate goal, or would you substitute some other goals instead?
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Alice Fu »

I would agree that that is one of the most important ultimate life goals. However, I would also add on that the most important things would be to find the right circle of people as well
Emily Meadows
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-meadows.html
Latest Review: Forever Young by Karma Wiederrick

Post by Emily Meadows »

We need happiness in there somewhere. Or joy. He talks about choosing to be happy - and I couldn't agree more. We all know people who choose to be unhappy, or bitter, or mean - and the impact of those people's negativity is far too wide. Said another way, if you put good happy energy out into the universe, you get it in return (hopefully!).
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I agree with the author that comfort, peace, and financial freedom are the most important. You indeed don't find all three when you work for someone else! Comfort and peace will come by not having someone always looking over your shoulder as you work. You are only accountable to yourself!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Sydney Ash
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Where the Crawdads Sing
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sydney-ash.html
Latest Review: Tyler's Promised Gift by M. C. Abushar

Post by Sydney Ash »

I agree that the ideas stated should definitely be included. However, I do not believe these are the only factors that go in to a happy life.
Kelsey Roy
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-roy.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Kelsey Roy »

After pausing to think about what emotions are really encompassed by comfort, peace, and financial freedom, I agree with the author that these are the three most important goals in life. When I think of a comfortable/peaceful life, I think of love, friendship, absence of stress, and fulfillment. Without financial freedom, stress negates almost any situation. Many people mention the importance of happiness, but in my opinion, emotional comfort and peace equals happiness. I hope one day to achieve/choose all of these in my life.
Julie Gebrosky
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-gebrosky.html
Latest Review: Archer the Therapy Dog by Katie Baron

Post by Julie Gebrosky »

I think those are good goals, but comfort is subjective. I think sometimes pushing yourself out of your comfort zone is critical. The author does discuss this in the book though.

Also, I think having a positive impact on others should be a goal. I can have all the comfort, financial freedom, and peace that I want, but if I trample on others to do it, that would not bring me happiness. I think it's important to make the world a better place. Though I suppose one could argue that I would not have peace if I was taking advantage of others!
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I do think that these are worthy goals and peace should be ranked right up there. The others, while nice, shouldn't be ultimate goals. I think they'll be a byproduct of working hard and believing God will do what he says he will.
Lindiwe Chakhala
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Rich Dad Poor Dad: Cashflow Quadrant
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindiwe-chakhala.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Lindiwe Chakhala »

Marsha JJ wrote: 05 Nov 2022, 14:45 In Blue Collar Cash the author shares in the beginning of the book that "a life of comfort, peace, and financial freedom is the ultimate goal." Do you agree with the author that this should be one's ultimate goal, or would you substitute some other goals instead?
I agree with the author. I would also add joy. The ability to find joy in the little things everyday is not easy because we focus on responsibilities which are no fun. Where people differ is on what those things look like in their lives and how they attain them.
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Lost Secret of the Ancient Ones by Chris Reynolds

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

Lindiwe Chakhala wrote: 09 Nov 2022, 08:00 I agree with the author. I would also add joy. The ability to find joy in the little things everyday is not easy because we focus on responsibilities which are no fun. Where people differ is on what those things look like in their lives and how they attain them.
I agree with your addition Lindiwe. It is important to be able to find joy in the little things. However, I think having comfort, peace and financial freedom does allow space for that.

Although, I did like what Rusk said about the buckets and filling the 5th gallon with positivity. I feel this is also something that would allow us to find the joy in the little things as we have space for it.
Mbali Qalinge
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: He
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbali-qalinge.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Mbali Qalinge »

I agree, we all strive for comfort, peace, and financial freedom, and I think these goals are inclusive of other goals. If one has comfort and peace, it's safe to assume that that person is happy and may have love in their life too.
Alexandur Gicov
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandur-gicov.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Alexandur Gicov »

Financial independence and peace of mind cannot be included in the same sentence! Not only because one is impossible with the other and vice versa, but also to get to one or the other, you cannot have any of them. Either you have peace of mind, but you're in an average financial situation, or you have a lot of money but you don't have peace of mind. Money is not made with peace of mind, and peace of mind does not come with a lot of money!
Cheryl Erickson
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

I like those three goals. But I would add faith, love, happiness, family, and friends to the list.
Francis Odhiambo Comorenos
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-odhiambo-comorenos.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Francis Odhiambo Comorenos »

I agree with this 100%, and also from every angle, I see that comfort and peace are by-products of financial freedom. So to me, the ultimate goal of leaving a life that one desires is to have financial freedom.
Stephanie Cameron
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-cameron.html
Latest Review: Grizzly Lake by Robert Woods

Post by Stephanie Cameron »

After reading the book, I do believe the concept is very simple but effective. No one wants to live their life just to work. People should find a job that they enjoy and can make a living off of. Yes, I think everyone's goals should be comfort, peace, and freedom.

Return to “Discuss "Blue-Collar Cash: Love Your Work, Secure Your Future, and Find Happiness for Life" by Ken Rusk"”