Unqualified

Use this forum to discuss the November 2022 Book of the Month, "Blue-Collar Cash: Love Your Work, Secure Your Future, and Find Happiness for Life" by Ken Rusk.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please email a copy of your receipt to:

botm-verification@onlinebookclub.org

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Kenesha L Fowler
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: On Becoming Me: Memoir of an 80's Teenager
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenesha-l-fowler.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Unqualified

Post by Kenesha L Fowler »

In chapter five where Rusk talks about courage, he included some of his father’s experiences. Stan Rusk, after working with a company for some time, was ready for new challenges. He went to the corporate office to meet with some executives to inquire about running his own store. They turned him down flat based on his lack of a college degree. Instead of backing down, he pointed out his years of work experience and his track record of successfully training company workers (some who already had college degrees, no less). He was subsequently given the chance to prove himself. I imagine this is something that happens often enough, where you know you can do the job (or have been doing related tasks), but aren’t given the position because you didn’t spend whatever amount of years studying the subject at college. Has this ever happened to you or someone you know? How did you, or they, deal with the situation?
"No one is ever satisfied where he is," said the switchman.
~from The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupéry~
Kayla Archer
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: flat top mountain ranch
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla-archer.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Kayla Archer »

I was inspired by this story. I am a people pleaser, so when someone tells me I don't have the qualifications, I most likely would walk away discouraged. This father stood up for himself and pointed out his qualities. Because he was courageous and bold, he got the job! I aspire to be more bold and courageous and share my qualities, even if they don't fit the mold. Maybe, just maybe, those qualities will break the mold, much like Rusk's father did. What an inspiration!
Leslie Kunde
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Bucket boot camp
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leslie-kunde.html
Latest Review: Seven at Two Past Five by Tara Basi

Post by Leslie Kunde »

Yes! This happened to me. Unfortunately I could not convince them I could do it. I have went to college for micro biology, but ended up in a vastly different line of work. I ended up quitting the job and started over in another new field. I learned book binding and ended up running the department. My boss at the book shop said practical knowledge was better than book learning.
Pauline Parnell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Beyond the Clouds, the Sky is Blue
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauline-parnell.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Pauline Parnell »

Yes, I know of someone who was turned down for a teaching job because she never had the academic qualifications. However, she did not give up. She started her own company which did extremely well and was successful. After three years, the company reached out to her and offered her a job. The proof was in the pudding.
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer
2022 Reading Goal: 20
2022 Goal Completion: 130%

Post by Alice Fu »

There was a situation a few months back where I found myself applying for something that I didn't have the proper credits for. It was truly a difficult situation that I was unsure how to deal with. However, I did my best and worked around to explain other qualifications of mine to show why I belonged in the place I was applying to
Jennifer Coxon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: The Unlikely Cowboy by James E. Doucette
2022 Reading Goal: 20
2022 Goal Completion: 90%

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

This happened to my ex. He went for a position and the team really liked him and were willing to take him on. However, as he was unqualified they were going to pay him less than the uni graduates they were taking on. Seems fair. Until when actually working on the job, my ex understood and picked up the job faster than the grads and started to work ahead of them. Thankfully the management team recognised this and within a few months increased his salary in line.

Return to “Discuss "Blue-Collar Cash: Love Your Work, Secure Your Future, and Find Happiness for Life" by Ken Rusk"”