Reader Response

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
Radhika Nair
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radhika-nair.html
Latest Review: Hunger of the Pine by Teal Swan

Reader Response

Post by Radhika Nair »

Do readers, particularly non-American readers, feel for Americans the kind of sympathy that this book clearly wants readers to feel for its protagonist? I for one cracked up with pure cynicism when Steve believed he "knew his history" while in disbelief about the American state's bloodthirst. Did you, as a reader who may be American or otherwise, read this book critically or emotionally? And do you generally read literature situated in the context of a controversial historical period critically or emotionally?
Phil Akor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phil-akor.html
Latest Review: Why Does Government Need to be Funded? by Amphidromus

Post by Phil Akor »

The only emotion I felt while reading this book was anger. The brutality was provocative. I felt bad for everyone around the world because unfortunately, police brutality happens in most countries around the world.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

As a non-American reader, I could relate to the police brutality and corruption because it happens in many other countries including mine. I felt upset that things like this happen.
Ruthwriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruthwriter.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Ruthwriter »

Yes, I do. as a human being, it is important to feel what others feel too. when an innocent soul is being killed unjustifiably, it calls for a critical and emotional reaction, irrespective of one's race, color, or language.
DyanaFl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dyanafl.html
Latest Review: Like Glass by Sylvia Wilde

Post by DyanaFl »

That's an interesting topic. I, for one, do not read literature situated in the context of the period critically. Not unless the book is practically throwing it at you. I just read it in the human perspective. Like there's pretty much always a bad guy, a good guy, the underdog, etc etc. So I always just get into a book emotionally.
For this book, I sympathized with Steve for being alone in his battle.
princejal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princejal.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by princejal »

I found some parts of the book somewhat idealistic as it portrayed America in a very sympathetic light that's at sharp contrast to its various acts of war and conquest in the past.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I'm not American, but I can empathize with the feelings of the characters and the difficulties of a particular historical period. I think I read them both critically and emotionally, but since this was a character-driven story I might have let my emotions take charge. Most of us don't know our "true" history. I consider myself a history buff and I don't claim to know the entire history of my country. We are all a bit blinded by the "official" version of most events. So I can't judge Americans for doing the same. What matters, in my opinion, is the will to learn and to do what's right.
Bombasticsideeye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stella-bereebera.html
Latest Review: Not Dead Yet by Mark Fletcher

Post by Bombasticsideeye »

I did feel emotion in this book but it was not towards the Americans. It was instead towards the foreigners in this country because a lot of racism was exposed.
FunkyFlowerLady
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

War doesn't just impact the 2 countries it's fought between. it impacts millions of people whether directly or indirectly. and reading Wild World did make me emotional at times, for the people so critically and directly impacted by the Vietnam war, the college students, the protagonists, and others. I read any book emotionally, but as a reviewer on this forum, I also have to be critical when I read books that I have to review.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

I am a South African and I am overall an emotional being. I definitely felt for Steve and the other youths. I tend to put myself in other's shoes and circumstances and try to imagine how I would have felt and reacted.
Ikechukwu Blessing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechukwu-blessing.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Ikechukwu Blessing »

Wild world is a novel full of varieties such as love, crime, social justice and also a thriller too.I would also say that the author did an amazing job here.
Ann Njeri 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ann-njeri-10.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ann Njeri 10 »

Police brutality is experienced all over and I understood Steve's need for change in the system.
Obi Egbuniwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obi-egbuniwe.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Obi Egbuniwe »

I approach with the desire to be educated first and foremost, which to a great extent I was. Therefore I guess you could say mine is a more logical tilting lense.
Obi Egbuniwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obi-egbuniwe.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Obi Egbuniwe »

I approach with the desire to be educated first and foremost, which to a great extent I was. Therefore I guess you could say mine is a more logical tilting lense.
Tayla Meyer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Tayla Meyer »

I absolutely read this book critically rather than emotionally. I am not American either, and Steve's self-righteousness often felt misguided to me. His concern felt like it was only for his neighbors, and not the Vietnamese people affected by the war. Perhaps that was just my interpretation though.

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”