Favorite quote from "Reconfigurement"

Use this forum to discuss the July 2022 Book of the Month, "Reconfigurement", by E. Alan Fleischauer
Isaac Oh
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isaac-oh.html
Latest Review: The Natural Guard by Michael L. Chapla

Re: Favorite quote from "Reconfigurement"

Post by Isaac Oh »

My favorite quote was the one from Winston which says Human beings are divided into three class of people: those who toiled to death, those who are worried to death and those who are bored to death. This quote is undeniably the truth of life.
AvishaJain_13
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishajain-13.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by AvishaJain_13 »

"All situations, no matter how terrible they appear on surface, have within them the seeds and the potential for good."
This sounds like a basic quote but sometimes the simplest stuff helps the most
Oluwasogo Familusi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwasogo-familusi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Oluwasogo Familusi »

Mrs D O wrote: 02 Jul 2022, 11:50
In a small village in rural Afghanistan, there lived a poor but wise farmer. One day his horse ran away. His neighbors came by to offer their sympathy, saying “what a terrible misfortune.” But the wise old farmer simply scuffed his feet in the soil and said “perhaps.” The next day the missing horse returned, leading an entire herd of beautiful wild horses. The neighbors came to celebrate, saying “how wonderful.” All the wise farmer said is, “perhaps.” And the next day, the farmer's only son went to tame one of the wild horses. In the process, he broke his leg. The neighbors all came by to commiserate, saying “how awful,” and again, the wise farmer only said, “perhaps.”

The next day, the forces of the local warlord came down to forcibly impress all the young men of the village and lead them to war, but because of his fractured leg, the farmer's son was left behind. Again, the neighbors came by to offer congratulations, but all the wise farmer said was, “perhaps.” The moral of this two-sided story is that all situations, no matter how terrible they appear on surface, have within them the seeds and the potential for good.

Sorry it's so long, but I think the above is just such a wonderful combination of wise words and humour. It made me laugh but also think deeply about the moral it contains. Using that story was a great way to communicate something important to the reader. It's too good to forget. In the OBC interview with E. Alan Fleischauer he discloses how having a mild stroke helped him access his ability to write. He was able to see the potential for good within his own misfortune, so is sharing genuinely helpful advice.
I'll also go with this story. It shows that there's a reason for everything and our response also to all situation speaks a lot about us.
EstherA
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esthera.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by EstherA »

My favorite quote from this book is “Broadly speaking, human beings may be divided into three classes: those who are toiled to death, those who are worried to death, and those who are bored to death.” by Winston Churchill
I find a lot of truth in this quote.
Michael Jerry_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaeljerry309.html
Latest Review: A Big Blue Boat by Susea Spray

Post by Michael Jerry_ »

I’m such a big fan of traveling so naturally, once I wrapped my head around the go-go years quote, I couldn’t stop repeating the quote! I kept saying to other people too because why not.
Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-obioma-mgbeoji.html
Latest Review: Choices by Ogonna Juliet Nnamani

Post by Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji »

Andrada Madalina wrote: 02 Jul 2022, 06:15 My favorite quote from this book was that of Winston Churchill: "Broadly speaking, human beings may be divided into three classes: those who are toiled to death, those who are worried to death, and those who are bored to death." I like this quote because it perfectly supports the author's idea of reconfiguring and molding people's lives and the need for a turning point in anyone's life.
I think the two quotes about the go-go years and this one really caught my attention. I think they both conceptualized the need to understand that there are different phases in life and the sooner we realized this the better.
Amenrodion
Currently Reading: Fates Sweet Passion
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amenrodion.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Amenrodion »

"the financial industry is content to encourage us to work hard, save hard and invest as much as we can. Which is all good, but only to a point" that's my favourite quote because it reminds me that while trying to build wealth, we do not want to forget to enjoy the process or take time out to spoil ourselves.
Amarachi Nwankwo03
Currently Reading: Summer Showers
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amarachinwankwo.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Amarachi Nwankwo03 »

Jakoba Martin wrote: 02 Jul 2022, 05:26 I like the part where he speaks about the yin and yuan. I've always been taught that the yin/yuan represents good and evil. It was interesting to see it from a perspective where it represented danger/pain and opportunity. It gives the meaning a whole new perspective.
Yes, I liked this too. It really did give me a new perspective on the yin/yuan concept.
Obi Egbuniwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obi-egbuniwe.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Obi Egbuniwe »

My absolute favorite quote was
"You have the go-go years, the slow-go years and the no-go years" it's such a witty metaphor which I'll surely incorporate into my speech.
Israel10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-israel10.html
Latest Review: Creating Wellbeing and Building Resilience in the Veterinary Profession by Sonja A. Olson, DVM

Post by Israel10 »

I do like the quote from Winston Churchill about those who toil to death. It let's us know that there are many people who waste most of their years on fruitless effort.
Harry Torsney
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harry-torsney.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Harry Torsney »

This quote from Winston Churchill is my favorite: "Broadly speaking, human beings may be divided into three classes: those who are toiled to death, those who are worried to death, and those who are bored to death."
It actually pass an information that no matter which class you belong, change is constant.
Ceeco2002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceeco2002.html
Latest Review: Rebuilt Recovery - Complete Series by Heather L Phipps

Post by Ceeco2002 »

My favorite quote is the one by Winston Churchill, which is “Broadly speaking, human beings may be divided into three classes: those who are toiled to death, those who are worried to death, and those who are bored to death.” I think this is very true in today's world.
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

Marsha JJ wrote: 01 Jul 2022, 19:13 What's your favorite quote or quotes from "Reconfigurement"? My favorite so far is "You have go-go years, slo-go years and no-go years. Guess what, the no-go years are not when you travel."
- I appreciate this idea because I believe in the strategy of integrating travel throughout your life, not waiting until you retire.
Hello
I agree with you about this. I read and re read this quote several times. It fascinated me as it uses alliteration and repetition to express the idea. The essence of the quote is to compell the reader to travel whole heartedly throughout the life.
Chinemezu Okafor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinemezu-okafor.html
Latest Review: Doctor in the World by Hiram Baddeley

Post by Chinemezu Okafor »

It was hard to pick, but my favorite quote from the book has to be "You have go-go years, slo-go years and no-go years. Guess what, the no-go years are not when you travel." This explicitly highlights the highs and lows of life's journey for every individual and how we all want to wait for things to be perfect before we take necessary steps or decisions.
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

KASITHEREADER wrote: 03 Jul 2022, 00:39 The concept of the quote ' you have the go-go years, the slo-go years, and the no-go years, really got me thinking. I find it important to in corporate travelling in our lives.
I agree. I also think traveling in life is very important. This is why this quote stuck with me.

Return to “Discuss "Reconfigurement" by E. Alan Fleischauer”