Self-Employed.

Use this forum to discuss the July 2022 Book of the Month, "Reconfigurement", by E. Alan Fleischauer
Laura Weber
Currently Reading: Agatha the Beloved Queen
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-weber.html
Latest Review: Madam Vice President by Julian Mann
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Self-Employed.

Post by Laura Weber »

Owuamanam wrote: 01 Jul 2022, 15:38 The author emphasized on retirement for the employed.

What if you are an entrepreneur.

Should entrepreneurs also retire?

You know? I am a retired woman from Argentina, where life is not easy. I completely agree: everyone needs to do something useful for the community. Days can be so long, so boring! All of us need to rest when the years take their toll in bones and flesh, but our brain and soul need to do something, and we must listen their claim. Entretepeneur, selfemployed, employed... Life does not end with the retirement. (Please excuse my mistakes(
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

Definitely. As a matter of fact, the self-employed or rather employers, should be able to leave their income-generating activities to their young or trustees as early as possible. Nowadays, most people don't think they should retire, but they should.
Mr Excellence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-excellence.html
Latest Review: Four Critical Days by Edward Vogler

Post by Mr Excellence »

Marsha JJ wrote: 01 Jul 2022, 17:33 To answer your question, here's an idea. What if "retirement" is an outdated concept? If your work is really enjoyable, why ever stop? Some of the people in the world with the longest lifespans (such as in the Blue Zones), stay active in some form of work (such as farming, or gardening), and researchers have found that the sense of "community" their provides helps them to stay healthy and happy. So, I would say that whether you have a job, or are self employed, or are doing unpaid volunteer work or a working on a creative pursuit, as long as you enjoy it, why stop?

I think it's also vital to recheck the meaning of the word "Entrepreneur" and "Self-employed".
I don't see any need to retire from something I love doing without pressure from any body.
Helen Akoth
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-akoth.html
Latest Review: A Submissive Journey-Second Semester by Richard Read

Post by Helen Akoth »

When self-employed one usually have that freedom to decide when or whether to retire. The decision is not as fixed as when one is employed. So it is usually upon the self-employed people to decide when to retire, as there is that flexibility.
Aditii Mehta
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditii-mehta.html
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey

Post by Aditii Mehta »

Yes, entrepreneurs should retire. But, if that person is happy continuing his work then retirement should not be a compulsion. He should work as long as he wants to.
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey
Francis Omotayo Aderogbin
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-omotayo-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Escape from Tuoyawon by R. Murrey Haist

Post by Francis Omotayo Aderogbin »

I believe entrepreneurs should also have time to retire. At this time, they won't be involved directly in running the business. They would just be a supervisor and enjoy their time off. So, yes, a self-employed too should have retirement time.
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
just_joy
Currently Reading: The Story Of...
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-just-joy.html
Latest Review: Agatha the Beloved Queen by Fred Pilcher

Post by just_joy »

Owuamanam wrote: 01 Jul 2022, 15:38 The author emphasized on retirement for the employed.

What if you are an entrepreneur.

Should entrepreneurs also retire?
The author talks widely about financial planning and the outcome.I learnt that when one is in control of the finances ,one can build strategies on how to save,as little as the salary or wages may be.The savings can later be used to establish a business and that's how you land yourself a self employed job
Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Of All Faiths & None
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-felix-mnjala-maneno.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno »

I think that entrepreneurs should retire, at the right time. After all it's just like any other job and everyone has the right to enjoy their hard earned money at some point; what better time than when one retires.
princejal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princejal.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by princejal »

While I do feel like the concept of retirement for entrepreneurs would be different than the one for employed workers, I still believe in retirement for all. As a simple point of fact, one can't continue to work forever. There has to be a state where one can simply hang up his gauntlet and say yes, the work is done or else what are we even working for?
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

Everyone needs a plan for retirement as it is a strategy for making your money work for you and your family when you’re no longer fit to work and this is even more so for entrepreneurs because they have to test that the business or legacy they have built can sustain them.
Zoe Tladi
Currently Reading: My life uncensored
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zoe-tladi.html
Latest Review: Mindful Screen Time by John and Kimberley Woods

Post by Zoe Tladi »

Yes definitely, entrepreneurs should retire too. However, I think before you can retire as an entrepreneur you should develop a life goal plan and have an exit strategy.
Owuamanam Eberechukwu
Currently Reading: All will be revealed
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-owuamanam-eberechukwu.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Owuamanam Eberechukwu »

The Olynks wrote: 29 Jul 2022, 03:10 Yes absolutely! Entrepreneurs are workers too, although it's a bit different and in the end, they should also retire.
Beautiful point of view. The bottom line is to always make yourself happy. Be happy and work towards your happiness.
"I am learning every day to allow the space between where I am and where I want to be to inspire me and not terrify me."
Tracee Ellis Ross
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

Depending on your viewpoint, persons who are self-employed can also retire. The self-employed can retire if you approach it from the perspective of taking a break, but if you approach it from the perspective of being released from your obligations, the self-employed won't retire. An entrepreneur can forgo going to the workplace and yet run the company.
Sydney Ash
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Where the Crawdads Sing
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sydney-ash.html
Latest Review: Tyler's Promised Gift by M. C. Abushar

Post by Sydney Ash »

This is a great question. I think it really depends on the planning they have put into it. Obviously, being an entrepreneur requires a lot of independence. Typical corporate jobs give you a pretty structured retirement plan where an entrepreneur might not have that. As long as they have a strong plan and a person to pass their ideas and business onto.
Raquel Sojo
Currently Reading: Egomaniac
Bookshelf Size: 410
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raquel-sojo.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Raquel Sojo »

Of course! It even seems to me that as an entrepreneur it is more important to plan for the future by not having all the formal benefits services that traditional jobs have. The entrepreneur must prepare himself to secure his future and enjoy the fruits of his labor.

Return to “Discuss "Reconfigurement" by E. Alan Fleischauer”