Self-Employed.

Use this forum to discuss the July 2022 Book of the Month, "Reconfigurement", by E. Alan Fleischauer
Sara Scott
Favorite Book: The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
Currently Reading: Marilyn Manson & Me
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-scott.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Re: Self-Employed.

Post by Sara Scott »

I believe everyone deserves to retire when they are ready, no matter their line of work.
Nobody should be expected to work past an age where they are comfortable doing so, whether they run their own business or not. Quality of life and enjoyment of life as we age should always come before business.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

Owuamanam wrote: 01 Jul 2022, 15:38 The author emphasized on retirement for the employed.

What if you are an entrepreneur.

Should entrepreneurs also retire?
Yes. I think an entrepreneur should retire after working hard and achieving most of their business goals.
Pauline Parnell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Beyond the Clouds, the Sky is Blue
Bookshelf Size: 517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauline-parnell.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Pauline Parnell »

For the majority of people, working is necessary to take care of one's family, pay bills, put food on the table, and other necessities. Entrepreneurs, on the other hand, put in long hours because they love what they do. So if you enjoy your job, it is not work. As a result, retirement might never occur.
AnnaMarie Collins
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annamarie-collins.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by AnnaMarie Collins »

Good question. I am a small business owner, and it's a lot of work! I don't think I ever want to retire, though; I enjoy my work too much! I do think if entrepreneurs want to retire, they should, but it is more work for them than if they worked a "regular" job.
Gabriela Contreras
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriela-contreras.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Gabriela Contreras »

Absolutely! It might be harder, but everyone should be able to retire. I think that in today's world retirement has become a luxury because many cannot afford to retire, but it does not matter what you do, who do you work for, or anything else, everyone should be able to retire.
lilianchikasi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilianchikasi.html
Latest Review: From A Whore to a Whousewife by Felicia Cobbs

Post by lilianchikasi »

Yes, of course, at the end of the day, I do think that entrepreneurs can also retire. Being self-employed is really not an easy feat, at some point in an entrepreneur's life, it's okay to retire.
Ayesha Ameera Memon
Currently Reading: Culture Jock
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayesha-ameera-memon.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Ayesha Ameera Memon »

Definitely! But I think for entrepreneurs it requires more planning and the decision needs to be well thought out with a plan to move forward! If that’s done, then yes the author’s ideas should apply to an entrepreneur too!
Ramon Scott
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Ramon Scott »

Definitely! Entrepreneurs should also retire after a completed checklist of business goals. I mean, they are workers like everyone else. They shouldn't be work when they don't have to anymore. That would be ridiculous
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

I think it's up to the person. They should have the chance to retire if they want to, but I don't see why forcing someone to retire if they feel like continuing working and love their job (which I think they do if they went as far as creating their own company).
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

entrepreneurs also retire depending on your perspective. As an entrepreneur who has grown-up children and above 65 to 70 years, you can hand over your companies or businesses to your trusted children who you have proved capable, then be overseers of the businesses, in this position you don't do any physical work again just to oversee what they are doing with the companies, you can place yourself on a salary for the rest of your life. This kind of retirement is best suitable for entrepreneurs.
Ogechi Orlumeni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogechi-orlumeni.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ogechi Orlumeni »

Yes, I think even entrepreneurs should retire. However, retirement for entrepreneurs would not be as straightforward as that of persons working under the employment of a company. This is because entrepreneurs might not find it to detach from their business.
Corrie-Lynn Penny
Currently Reading: Thunderhead
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corrie-lynn-penny.html
Latest Review: Consciousness Unbundled by Jack Veffer

Post by Corrie-Lynn Penny »

Retirement is something that doesn't mean the same thing for everyone. Some people just want to enjoy their lives and be done with work completely, and others benefit more from the satisfaction of working. Some individuals who are entrepreneurs may not even want to retire, as that may be the greatest joy in their life, the feeling of self-success. But in the end, even entrepreneurs should have the opportunity for retirement.
Danielle Briggs
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielle-briggs.html
Latest Review: Moonlit Nights by Jacob Parr

Post by Danielle Briggs »

I think eventually you’ll have to retire! Even if you love what you do and stay longer than an average person in a ‘normal’ job, at some point you’re going to want to enjoy time outside of working I would think
IconReviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iconreviews.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by IconReviews »

I think the main aim of working now is so that you can retire comfortably. So I think entrepreneurs should plan for their retirement. Although some entrepreneurs might find it hard to stop working since it's their own business.
Lily_flower_the_reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-flower-the-reader.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: From Weekend Golfer to Pro Golfer in Two Years by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Lily_flower_the_reader »

I believe that retirement is not just for the employed. Entrepreneurs can also at some point retire, it's something that's applicable to everyone.

Return to “Discuss "Reconfigurement" by E. Alan Fleischauer”