Nook vs. Kindle

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Mbarnes
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbarnes.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: Nook vs. Kindle

Post by Mbarnes »

I honestly have never tried out a Nook. I have always had a Kindle Fire from amazon. From personal experience I would go with the kindle. There are so many things you can do with it from reading to shopping. With the kindle you get the best of everything. I know that I would be lost without mine. I have my email, books, contacts, documents, you name it and it is on there. I hope this helps you out some. :D
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

El_greco wrote:Which is better? Or if i put it in another way, is Nook equally as good as Kindle?

And another urgent question before my purchase: What's with reading .pdf files, do i have to convert them or sth, or just load them in the reader?

Thank you!
Kindle is way better. Amazon has better software and is constantly improving, and Nook is just trying to stay alive. I think it is even being fractured off and gradually closed down.
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Yolanda Denise
Currently Reading: In the Fullness of Time
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yolanda-denise.html

Post by Yolanda Denise »

I have a Kindle, and I have never used a Nook. I'm not sure if Nook has this, but Kindle has a feature that allows you to pick up on the page where you left off if you switch back and forth between e-books. You can also download pdf files and send them to your Kindle.

I am also subscribed to Kindle Unlimited, so I can read up to 10 Kindle books per month for free. The subscription is $10 per month, and there are several interesting Kindle books on the Unlimited list. :D
BarryEM
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by BarryEM »

Being able to continue a book where you left off, even after switching books, is a standard feature of all ereaders. I have Kindles, Nooks and Kobos and they all do that just fine.

That said, I do prefer the Kindle. The latest Nook is probably my least favorite device. It's pretty nice except for a couple of really bad features. That Home button is right where I want to hold the thing so I'll forget about it and suddenly find myself back at the home page. It constantly happens.

The other problem is the way the dictionary is grayed out so I can barely read it. That's a terribly dumb design flaw.

Other than that it's a pretty nice device but those ruin it for me.

Barry
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Chitopogi »

I only have my Kindle Paperwhite and my nook reader is in my laptop only. My Nook gives me problems compared to KOBO, Ice Cream and Kindle. So I vote, Kindle.
paranormalbooklover
Currently Reading: After We Collided
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by paranormalbooklover »

I used to have the Nook Color (got it as a gift), but then moved down south and i couldn't read outside without make the screen as bright as it could go, and it would kill my battery faster...so I bought the paperwhite and absolutely love it. Hands down Kindle over Nook
BarryEM

Post by BarryEM »

The difference in your case wasn't Nook vs Kindle, it was tablet (the Nook you had was a tablet) vs e-ink ereader. Ereaders with e-ink screens and front lights are perfect in any light. Tablets, including Kindle tablets, are fairly useless in the sun.

I have a Kindle ereader and a Nook ereader. I prefer the Kindle but the screen on the Nook is as good as the Kindle's screen even in sunlight. I also have tablets and they're useless in sunlight.

Barry
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Post by EMoffat »

I have a kindle and I love it. However, I think the EPUB formatting (which the nook uses) is meant to be better. I think you will live either one!
ZeroChill
Currently Reading: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zerochill.html
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace

Post by ZeroChill »

I have heard a lot of arguments over the time about the two, I would prefer kindle over nook.
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace
Spontaneo
Favorite Book: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spontaneo.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Spontaneo »

uuugh I still don't understand anything other than pdf.
You Only Grow Old If You Want To
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

El_greco wrote: 04 Dec 2011, 17:32 Which is better? Or if i put it in another way, is Nook equally as good as Kindle?

And another urgent question before my purchase: What's with reading .pdf files, do i have to convert them or sth, or just load them in the reader?

Thank you!
Download ereader Prestigio for free on Google Play Store. It's what I'm using.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I got my Kindle as a gift from someone dear to me. I can't thank that person enough as I love the device!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

I don't own a Nook but I have a Kindle and I like it a lot. I refused to get one for years because I LOVE a physical book. However, when I started traveling the globe a few years back, my stepfather bought me one as a gift and honestly, it's great for my plane trips and for packing a lighter suitcase every time my hubby and I move to a new country.
brad99
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brad99.html
Latest Review: Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

Post by brad99 »

I have both a Nook and a Kindle. I do not notice any real difference with regard to the books available or the ease of reading. However, I do find the Nook easier to navigate. Sometimes it is difficult with the Kindle to get back to home or to my library--no problem at all with the Nook. Truth is, I prefer an actual book to either of them, but they are convenient to carry, and one can amass a huge library quite inexpensively
BarryEM

Post by BarryEM »

I have the new Nook and the Kindle and I have to agree that the Nook's hardware is the nicer of the two but B&N might go under this year or next, according to all the pundits, and if they do any Nook books I've bought will only be available till I have to reset the Nook for some reason, and even then only if they're downloaded. B&N has pulled out of Europe already and people there now have fairly useless devices, since B&N in the USA won't sell to them or even make books available unless they have a USA address.

Barry

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”