eBooks

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
StoneRyno
Bookshelf Size: 0

eBooks

Post by StoneRyno »

I'm new to the forum and never considered eBooks until now. When the idea first came about I thought why would anyone want books that way. However now I realize hey if you are going to have a lot of books it makes sense. Anyways, Call me old fashioned but I'm used to buying books typically paperback. I don't read a lot of books. But I've been wanting to read a bunch of classic authors and I figure eBooks would be the way to go as I rather not have a ton of space taken up by physical books. I have a small list of authors and titles I plan on reading.

I take a long time to read one book so I figure it might be inconvenient to check out books from the library. I downloaded the kindle and google books apps on my samsung epic and kindle on my netbook (I assume there is something for google books as well). I did some searching for authors and books by those authors and find there are many listings for a number of the same title. It's got me wondering why and what is what with the different listings.

I'm used to my local bookstore carrying the popular stuff so you know if you buy such and such title you aren't getting a disappointing edition or printing or whatever the technical term is. I'm also wondering about the differences between buying books from the various sources. Is it nothing more than like buying physical books from competing bookstores? Are the eBooks nothing more than electronic replications of the physical books by the same publishers?

Thanks and hopefully I am making sense in my post.
Francine

Post by Francine »

hello
Thanks for provide me information about this topic because this will help me.
Regards
Francine
Regards
Francine
dofdiamond

Post by dofdiamond »

Thanks for sharing nice information here, its really helpful for newbie here like me.
Erin71

Post by Erin71 »

I, too, am weary of e-book readers because of being old fashioned wanting the feel of the book in my hands. That being said, I can also see the convenience of the e-books/readers and am seriously considering a Kindle reader. I'm wondering if this is a good choice. I don't want to spend a lot of money, not knowing whether or not, it will be for 'me.' What I like best about it is saving the space in the home. Can anyone tell me if Kindle is a quality reader?
Thanks,
Erin
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Erin71 wrote:I, too, am weary of e-book readers because of being old fashioned wanting the feel of the book in my hands. That being said, I can also see the convenience of the e-books/readers and am seriously considering a Kindle reader. I'm wondering if this is a good choice. I don't want to spend a lot of money, not knowing whether or not, it will be for 'me.' What I like best about it is saving the space in the home. Can anyone tell me if Kindle is a quality reader?
Thanks,
Erin
Well for me it ticks all the boxes
Easy to use
Lightweight for holding and carrying & reading in bed
Holds more books than I will probably ever read!
Loads & loads of the classics for FREE
Excellent battery time
More robust than I would have expected ... has survived a few falls!
Fantastic for the holidays especially if you use budget airlines!

That said I'm still going to the library regularly & still buying some 'paper' books ... old habits die hard.
It's definitely not going back though ... best Xmas gift I ever received.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
plrassassin

Post by plrassassin »

Thanks for sharing this information...............
fitzrobbi

Post by fitzrobbi »

Hello,
Thanks for sharing information its really good :)
A24

Post by A24 »

I love my Kindle too! Although, surprisingly, the Harry Potter series is not available in any e-book format! That's ok, there is always the library which I love. I have the lighted cover for my Kindle which is great for reading at night while my husband is sleeping or even in the car at night. The light is part of the cover and you can pull it out when you need it. I highly recommend it - and, of course for the fact that it keeps your Kindle very well protected. I still love holding books, but really Love my Kindle!
“The Bible is worth all the other books which have ever been printed.”
~Patrick Henry
hotelstvedi

Post by hotelstvedi »

I've just submitted my blog to Kindle - you can google for Kindle Blog Publisher. It's in beta at the moment but a very clever way of getting more content on the Kindle.
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

Mines not a kindle, its an Aluratek, but it works pretty good. I probably never would have bought one, the price was more than I wanted to pay. I read ebooks on my laptop sitting on my big belly laying in bed and I was satisfied with that. But I saw this reader in one of the local junk stores and it was marked 500 pesos, thats about 45 dollars American. I kind of hemmed and hawed about it, the lady said, to you my friend, 400 pesos. I never saw her before in my life, but they do that here. I took it and looked it up and its supposed to be one of the better ones. I had a few problems with it but it works fine now. Ive got about 8000 books on it and I rarely read a paper book anymore. The only thing I dont like about it is that you cant swat flies with it. :lol:
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Lovelace
Currently Reading: Leaving Lucy Pear
Bookshelf Size: 106

Post by Lovelace »

I got a Kindle for christmas and i love it. It easily fits in my handbag so it's great for taking out
There are loads of books for 99p which is much cheaper than buying 2nd hand books off ebay which is what i usually do where the postage alone is about £2 per book.
The thing i really like though are the free samples as you can try the 1st few pages of any book to see if it's for you.
Also the ease and speed of buying a book. Normally with the post method you have to wait sometimes up to a week or so for your new book to arrive. With the Kindle it takes 1 click to purchase (after setting up your payment method on line) and a few seconds to arrive.
I think it's brilliant
I still have several "real books" to read that were also christmas presents but once i've read them i will probably just use my Kindle.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Bighuey wrote:Mines not a kindle, its an Aluratek, but it works pretty good. I probably never would have bought one, the price was more than I wanted to pay. I read ebooks on my laptop sitting on my big belly laying in bed and I was satisfied with that. But I saw this reader in one of the local junk stores and it was marked 500 pesos, thats about 45 dollars American. I kind of hemmed and hawed about it, the lady said, to you my friend, 400 pesos. I never saw her before in my life, but they do that here. I took it and looked it up and its supposed to be one of the better ones. I had a few problems with it but it works fine now. Ive got about 8000 books on it and I rarely read a paper book anymore. The only thing I dont like about it is that you cant swat flies with it. :lol:
How do you do it Bighuey ... every time I log on you have a good laugh waiting for me. You are a tonic in this dreary old world. :lol: :lol: :lol:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

Fran wrote:
Bighuey wrote:Mines not a kindle, its an Aluratek, but it works pretty good. I probably never would have bought one, the price was more than I wanted to pay. I read ebooks on my laptop sitting on my big belly laying in bed and I was satisfied with that. But I saw this reader in one of the local junk stores and it was marked 500 pesos, thats about 45 dollars American. I kind of hemmed and hawed about it, the lady said, to you my friend, 400 pesos. I never saw her before in my life, but they do that here. I took it and looked it up and its supposed to be one of the better ones. I had a few problems with it but it works fine now. Ive got about 8000 books on it and I rarely read a paper book anymore. The only thing I dont like about it is that you cant swat flies with it. :lol:
How do you do it Bighuey ... every time I log on you have a good laugh waiting for me. You are a tonic in this dreary old world. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I just put down whatever silliness comes in my head. Someone once told me I should be a comic, but being on a stage in front of a bunch of people scares me to death. I just confine the silliness to a select few, that way I wont have too many things thrown at me. :)
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Timpane

Post by Timpane »

What I like best about it is saving the space in the home.I can also see the convenience of the e-books/readers and am seriously considering a Kindle reader.I don't want to spend a lot of money, not knowing whether or not, it will be for 'me.
I'm wondering if this is a good choice.
ilovebooks2
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 489
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by ilovebooks2 »

Sorry, but I don't think I could ever give up my books. I love books. I love feeling them, smelling them, seeing them on my bookshelves, and of course reading them! My home is full of books. Books are best. I love to curl up in bed with a good book. I don't think eBooks can compare!

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”