E-readers vs tablets for kids and other ereader questions to think about?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Waterstar0610
Currently Reading: Seekers
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waterstar0610.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B012F4HVBE

E-readers vs tablets for kids and other ereader questions to think about?

Post by Waterstar0610 »

Hi everyone, when my husband and i eventually have kids we certainly are going to pass on a love of reading to them, but here is the question, eventually they will want a gizmo of their own so tablet, kids tablet, or e-reader? which is best? which type of e-reader is best? do they make e-readers especially for kids? also do you think that e-readers are hurting or helping kids love of reading? reading for pleasure and fun is so important. it teaches patience, self entertainment and self soothing skills, short and long term memory skills,vocabulary skills, comprehension and imagination. so so so important. how do we as a society get kids to read and enjoy it instead of being on their various gizmos so connected, yet so disconnected from themselves and others? do you think e-readers help bridge that gap? do you think a child can read too much? Food for thought :) :D :tiphat:
Sarah Starling
Favorite Author: Alix E. Harrow
Favorite Book: Starling House
Currently Reading: Love and Other Words
Bookshelf Size: 10084
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-starling.html
Latest Review: Cell Biology For Babies by Dr. Haitham Ahmed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 176795

Post by Sarah Starling »

We got our toddler an Amazon Fire Kids Edition last week on Prime Day. He's a little too young for it still, but my partner and I have enjoyed exploring its features.

It's a very sturdy tablet. He has thrown it, dropped it, spilled liquid on it, and it is still like new...granted it has only been 4 days since we opened it, but the tablet has gone through a lot.

This one is really nice because you can set it to "Book Only" mode so the kid using it can only go to the books and you can set a time limit.

I think it will help his love of reading, he loves books already so this will give him more accessibility to books on the go. When he gets older, we can download the OverDrive app on it and get ebooks and audiobooks from our local library on it too!

I think a child can read too much, especially if it is interfering with their school work or any other aspects of their life.
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

Ehhhhhh... my children will be reading from actual books
1. ereaders break
2. you cant color in them
3. you can't smell the pages
4. no just no
Waterstar0610
Currently Reading: Seekers
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waterstar0610.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B012F4HVBE

Post by Waterstar0610 »

StarkidStarling wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 14:50 We got our toddler an Amazon Fire Kids Edition last week on Prime Day. He's a little too young for it still, but my partner and I have enjoyed exploring its features.

It's a very sturdy tablet. He has thrown it, dropped it, spilled liquid on it, and it is still like new...granted it has only been 4 days since we opened it, but the tablet has gone through a lot.

This one is really nice because you can set it to "Book Only" mode so the kid using it can only go to the books and you can set a time limit.

I think it will help his love of reading, he loves books already so this will give him more accessibility to books on the go. When he gets older, we can download the OverDrive app on it and get ebooks and audiobooks from our local library on it too!

I think a child can read too much, especially if it is interfering with their school work or any other aspects of their life.
great idea! thanks for the reply. thats really cool that it can be set to "book only" mode. i really like that :)
Sarah Starling

Post by Sarah Starling »

palilogy wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 15:06 Ehhhhhh... my children will be reading from actual books
1. ereaders break
4. no just no
1. Ours came with an unlimited warranty for 2 years, so even if it breaks it'll be replaced free. I've had to throw away books that he's taken a bath with and those would get much more expensive to replace every time.
2. You can actually! There are apps in them to allow coloring. We also have coloring books so he can color in them - we don't let our kid color in his reading books.

ereaders are an excellent alternative to books, even if it isn't exactly the same, they are really nice to have and use. They can read books out loud to kids who are't old enough to read on their own or read books that are above their reading level, but not comprehension level.
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

StarkidStarling wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 09:44
palilogy wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 15:06 Ehhhhhh... my children will be reading from actual books
1. ereaders break
4. no just no
1. Ours came with an unlimited warranty for 2 years, so even if it breaks it'll be replaced free. I've had to throw away books that he's taken a bath with and those would get much more expensive to replace every time.
2. You can actually! There are apps in them to allow coloring. We also have coloring books so he can color in them - we don't let our kid color in his reading books.

ereaders are an excellent alternative to books, even if it isn't exactly the same, they are really nice to have and use. They can read books out loud to kids who are't old enough to read on their own or read books that are above their reading level, but not comprehension level.
Do some ebook formats have a dictionary/look up option? I thought some of my NOOK files supported that, but I never remember which way to activate that. When I was reading more advanced books in elementary school (lots of classics or older European books), my mom had to get me an electronic dictionary since there were words I wasn't familiar with.
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
Sarah Starling

Post by Sarah Starling »

Lil Reads wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 08:55
StarkidStarling wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 09:44
1. ereaders break
4. no just no

Do some ebook formats have a dictionary/look up option? I thought some of my NOOK files supported that, but I never remember which way to activate that. When I was reading more advanced books in elementary school (lots of classics or older European books), my mom had to get me an electronic dictionary since there were words I wasn't familiar with.
I know my iPad Kindle app had a dictionary feature. It was super useful when I was in college and had mostly ebooks for my text books!
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

My daughter has both a tablet as well as a kid's tablet she seems to enjoy the regular tablet more so.
Chelsea N. Hackett
readsbyarun
Favorite Book: Wilderness Cry
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readsbyarun.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by readsbyarun »

It is good to provide kids with the tablets and e-reader as they should be accustomed with the technology but there should always be a limit in the extent of use.
estanlypido12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-estanlypido12.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by estanlypido12 »

We do have a different approaches to treating our kids in terms of introducing them to the power of reading. We cannot discount the modernization that children are now accustomed to using gadgets whether we want it or not. A tablet will do, as they cannot just enjoy reading specific ebooks there, they can use it as well for entertainment purposes.
Etini Willie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etini-willie.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Etini Willie »

I want to get a tab for my baby who just turned two years old. She would evolve from using it to watch educational videos to becoming her eBook box as she grows up
Alexandur Gicov
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandur-gicov.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Alexandur Gicov »

Each of the devices has options in which to read, if it is read-only. The little one has a 12-inch tablet and is very happy, at least for now. And he uses it not only for reading, but also for children, drawing, music and play. In the sense that if it will be limited to reading only, a reader is better, but if it will be a combination of other activities, a tablet or children's tablet is better. Personal opinion!
Charlienmegan Wehner
Currently Reading: Finding Joy with an Invisible Chronic Illness
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlienmegan-wehner.html
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King

Post by Charlienmegan Wehner »

We have kindles for my kids - they can download books, apps, and we can download movies or shows for long car rides.
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King
Michael Villanueva
Currently Reading: Price Wars
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-villanueva.html
Latest Review: Bambara by Joseph Eidelberg

Post by Michael Villanueva »

What age are the kids? I have toddlers and I think they are too young to handle the device responsibly, but I eventually would like to get them a device for the convenience.
Betelhem Demsie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-betelhem-demsie.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Betelhem Demsie »

I prefer to give paper books for kids, rather than giving them an e-reader or a tablet

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”