Poll--Is it Time to Replace the Book?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.

Should Ereaders Replace Books:

Yes. The time has come!
3%
Not right now, but in a few years they should
12%
No, never!
85%

Total votes: 121

saturday+deviant
Favorite Author: Riley Hart
Favorite Book: The Virgin Suicides
Currently Reading: Entice
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saturday-deviant.html
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
Reading Device: B00OTWQXSI
fav_author_id: 30187

Re: Poll--Is it Time to Replace the Book?

Post by saturday+deviant »

I don't think that books need to be replaced but the idea of how we read needs to be broadened to include e-readers as a good source of reading.
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
Mune
Currently Reading: Revival
Bookshelf Size: 963
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mune.html
Latest Review: "The Silent Shadow" by Patrick Clarke
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Mune »

I would have never given in to the "e-book" if my mother had not given me a Nexus tablet. It is nice to have many classics free at your fingertips, books delivered automatically, and discounts on some books. However, I do not think they should replace the real thing. There is something about holding a book, that paper made world that you can dive into. Books do not need batteries, they never crash or run out of storage or get lost or accidently deleted. A book is a tangible thing and something I adore. Yes I use the e-reader, but if I can get the book itself (especially informative/nonfiction or books that go to series I already have in book form) then I do.
Latest Review: "The Silent Shadow" by Patrick Clarke
nan m
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nan-m.html
Latest Review: "Lantern in the Mist (Second Review)" by Liliana Shelbrook

Post by nan m »

I voted for No Never even though I almost always read an ebook. Not everyone can afford an ebook reader or a tablet or ipad. But they might be able to afford just a book so why make it unreachable for them?
Latest Review: "Lantern in the Mist (Second Review)" by Liliana Shelbrook
Jon-Ross
Currently Reading: The Lord of the Rings and World War Z
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jon-ross.html

Post by Jon-Ross »

Books should never be replaced. I've never used a Kindle, or purchased an eBook ever. With paperbacks, you have the feel of the firm spine, the turn of every crisp page, and best of all, the scent of a new book. All my friends at school, that do read, use e-readers or listen to audio books. I don't know if I could stand that.
Age777
Favorite Author: So many to choose...
Favorite Book: As if I could pick just one
Currently Reading: Sammi by W.D. County
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-age777.html
Latest Review: "Sammi" by W.D. County

Post by Age777 »

I don't think we should ever eliminate books but I do think we should use ereaders more often. There is no reason for so many trees to be wasted for so many books to be published and then never bought. I still believe that it's important to have printed books but they should be published in smaller numbers to waste less. I don't think they should be eliminated because if a natural disaster or unnatural one ever caused loss of power or inability to use electronic devices we would be screwed. Could you imagine what it would be like to have no written history or ways of learning? We'd have to start from scratch and image everything that would be lost.
When you're wrong, your really wrong. When you're right, you're a pain in my a$$.
- by Me said originally to my hubby
Latest Review: "Sammi" by W.D. County
bookworm65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm65.html

Post by bookworm65 »

I am not sure that books should be entirely fazed out. There are reasons to and reasons not to. This is a pretty hard question to answer. There are benefits to reading an actual book and benefits to having an e-reader. Such as, books take up allot of room while e-readers are compact and you can carry literally hundreds if not thousands of books on it. E-readers are not as bulky as a book especially a hardcover book.
jackgandy

Post by jackgandy »

I think most of the problem is that we have looked at this as an either/or situation: either we can have paper or digital. I think that both have their place. For a person who grew up considering the smell of an old book to be intoxicating, I cannot see the way when they will be totally replaced by digital versions. I also am a person who loved to mark his books, usually with a highlighter. While this can be done on e-readers, it just doesn't feel the same.

However, having used a Kindle for the past couple of years and learning to love it, I find that it definitely has a place in the book lover's arsenal: if nothing else, it is so much more portable than trying to lug around a couple of hundred books.
calebsummers

Post by calebsummers »

I have a number of ebooks that I have written, but I will never not read the good old paperback. There is something about holding in your hands the texture of a book. It could never be the same reading it on an electronic device.
EnjoiSkyler
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enjoiskyler.html

Post by EnjoiSkyler »

I don't think so. There are still some things I enjoying reading the old fashioned way. Namely textbooks and guides. I enjoy this because up until this point no e-reader has sufficiently allowed me to flip fast enough between reference pages. With time and the production of faster processors this may become so, but until then, no. Multiviewing would be nice. I see this more likely on an iPad or other such high-end tablet.

Skyler
Tigania
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tigania.html
Latest Review: "The Boy who Lived with Ghosts" by John Mitchell

Post by Tigania »

I hope books are never replaced completely by e-readers. Heaven forbid the power goes out! At least I can still read a "regular" book by candlelight or a flashlight! Power's out and the battery dies on the Kindle, and I'm toast without a regular book to read!
Latest Review: "The Boy who Lived with Ghosts" by John Mitchell
Sine_Ni_Ceallach
Currently Reading: The Iliad by Homer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sine-ni-ceallach.html

Post by Sine_Ni_Ceallach »

Nope, never.
"I could not be sure she was sane; and, in fact, there was a certain restless brilliancy about her eyes that half led me to imagine she was not." -Edgar Allan Poe
taj
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taj.html

Post by taj »

now way. A lot of people, including myself, don't like to read on ebook readers. And I think that it's better to have something in hard print your reader could break or crash and you wouldn't have the book anymore. If I read a book that I really love I want to keep it because it means something to me.
sonnshinne
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonnshinne.html

Post by sonnshinne »

Oh no way should we get rid of books! E-books are great but not everyone has an e-reader. Not only that but books have survived through time! What would guarantee that an e-book wouldn't be lost or forgotten with everything else already floating through the cyber world?
djsa45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djsa45.html

Post by djsa45 »

I love the convenience of my Kindle. So many books available with a click of a button. But I still read as many paperbacks and hardbacks as I do the electronic ones. You cannot beat the feel and smell of a real book.
donnanursing1

Post by donnanursing1 »

No I do not think the ebooks should replace hard copy books. Ebook readers do make it more advantageous to read many books without the storage annoyance of having hard or paperback books. Any large book collection takes up alot of space in one's home. One disadvantage to ebook readers is that you cant resell the books when you finish reading them. You can share them depending on the type of reader you have. But book trading clubs used to be a common place retail store but are now hard to find. My mother loved to go to Cape Girardeau to buy books to trade with friends. I ended up with three boxes of books after she died. She got the books for change. It took me awhile to learn how to use an ereader for the many online courses that I took. I always felt cheated not having an actual book in my hands and found it very hard to take Word 2010 tests because I could not refer to the page before taking the test. It made it harder to do assignments because I could not have the page open and Word at the same time. Donna Taylor

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”