Poll--Is it Time to Replace the Book?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.

Should Ereaders Replace Books:

Yes. The time has come!
3%
Not right now, but in a few years they should
12%
No, never!
86%

Total votes: 78

anix67
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anix67.html
Latest Review: Duped x3 Liars! (semibiographical memoir) by Alice-Rose Trent

Re: Poll--Is it Time to Replace the Book?

Post by anix67 » 01 Apr 2018, 01:36

I don't think that e readers should ever fully replace real books. It is not the same thing and I hope that never happens

P0tt3ry
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 7
Favorite Book: The Dresden Files
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p0tt3ry.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by P0tt3ry » 27 Apr 2018, 22:54

Ironically, serious music lovers have always thought that analog equipment (both recording & playback) are superior to digital. I always assumed that the music recording technology was improving, also, but learned a while ago that the quality of an MP3 is good if you listen to one type of music: pop. But if you listen to complex jazz or classical, the quality deteriorates. CDs are way better than MP3s, but still lack the depth that vinyl has.
The way it was explained to me, vinyl has a groove carved into it that mirrors the original sound's waveform. It's analog and comes out of the sound equipment as analog. CDs, DVDs and MP3 captures bits of the analog waveform--so many bits per second--and records it as digital and then converts it back to analog for the sound equipment. Lots of depth and subtle shifts get lost in the process.

I feel the same way about digital books. Only the words get converted, the texture and heft of the book is gone. The ability to flip back and forth between pages or have it automatically open to your favorite section is part of the experience with a printed book. The font and cover and smell of warm paper on a sunny day--all part of the experience. Digital books are useful tools, printed books are joy.

Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe » 12 Sep 2018, 16:51

I said in a few years due to global warming I think if trees stopped being cut down for paper it would reduce global warming

Bookmaniac
Currently Reading: The Last Stop
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Bookmaniac » 21 Sep 2018, 09:31

No! Can't replace a good book. But access to e-readers is great!

HollandBlue
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 225
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by HollandBlue » 21 Sep 2018, 10:44

I voted No.Never. Even though I appreciate the free books we get to review, there is still nothing like a good old-fashioned book.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)

Clementine178
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Clementine178 » 21 Sep 2018, 11:35

I voted No. never. There are still (believe it or not) people that do not have access to some apps, electronics, or the internet to do the downloading. I personally would rather have read the book but understand the convenience of the ereaders.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”