Opinion on eReaders?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
BookWrm
Bookshelf Size: 0

Opinion on eReaders?

Post by BookWrm »

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, but I figured this was the best place to ask. I read quite a bit, especially when travelling, and I've been thinking lately about picking up an eReader and saving space in my bag.

I'm not too terribly tech savvy though, so I'm wondering, Kindle? Nook or Sony eReader?

I've heard that the Sony readers are nicest, but also most expensive. I would think that the Kindle would be the best bet because it's sold from Amazon though, but I don't think you can see that in stores can you?

Anyway, any advice would be much appreciated!

Thank you!
MaineTim

Post by MaineTim »

I don't own a reader, but if I were in the market, I think I'd be taking a good hard look at the iPad in place of a dedicated reader. Amazon makes a Kindle Reader app for it, so their library is available to you, and of course the device offers a larger variety of uses than a dedicated reader would. I'm sure there are downsides (weight, cost perhaps), but food for thought.

As this isn't a road I've yet traveled down, I'll be curious to read what others have to say.

Best of luck with your research...
qinglavigne

Post by qinglavigne »

I'm wondering you ever heard a mobile book reader named Laputa, you really can get a lot of books from the reader and they are all for free.
But I am the type of person who love real paper books rather than the ebook, and Hope that the infomation can help you with your reading.

bit.ly/9RZxEC

copy the bit.ly/9RZxEC as a website can make you get to the home page.
:wink:
BookWrm

Post by BookWrm »

Hmm, no I haven't heard of that - thanks for the information.

To be honest, I'm thinking of going with the Sony because they're experienced electronics makers, and I'm not sure about Amazons ability to build something like this and have it last.

Anything I should know about the Sony Readers before going through with this?

Thanks!
andr70

Post by andr70 »

I don't have a read and I am not going to buy it as well as I prefer paper books which I can feel.
oloroso36

Post by oloroso36 »

I have an iTouch and on a recent trip to London I downloaded the eReader application. Then I purchased a few books and it works great. You can choose the display font and backlighting and it even has an auto-scroll function so you don't have to "turn" the page. I think the application cost around $3 and the ebooks cost about $12 each. I haven't used it since but it's a great tool for travelling when you don't want to bring 6 or 7 books with you.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

I'm still debating whether or not to purchase the Kindle.

Heard on the Radio this am that Amazon say their Kindle book downloads have outstripped the physical books sales for the first time. Could this possibly be true?
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Spencerm396

Post by Spencerm396 »

I personally own a Nook and am very happy with the performance. It has a gigantic library of books and can read multiple formats. Plenty of free stuff as well.

The reason I wouldn't get an iPad is because it has a backlit computer screen which will hurt your eyes after reading on it for long periods of time while the Kindle or Nook actually looks like a piece of paper. Also, with internet and games, I bet I would get distracted from actually reading.

The Sony reader was very difficult to navigate and didn't seem like they put a lot of effort into it.

When it came down to it, I was able to play around with and test the Nook before purchasing as opposed to the Kindle which you just have to assume will work fine. Honestly, I'd get anything other than an iPad for reading.
Blue

Post by Blue »

I borrowed a Sony and find its surprisingly good - thought I'd hate not holding the real thing. I downloaded some books recently from a website [none more than £2] and then managed to transfer across. The site I used gave me 3 downloads of book i bought. I'm now right into this now as the author on this site can't be found anywhere else and he/she's brilliant so will save up to buy my own Sony, I think. Just about the start and the third one!!! Its worth persevering, honestly.
Alexa12345

Post by Alexa12345 »

I didn't saw in a stores yet any eReader, but personally i think that it's much bigger satisfaction when you read from a book, from a paper, when you feel that smell of paper and the tabs book.
Blue

Post by Blue »

i agree but am slowly being converted as you can keep so many in one small space and once you start you forget its not a book - bit like using a laptop but without the eye strain. Screens are specially designed, I think. Also really good if you can only get certain books online, which is case with series I'm now raving about!!
PhotonicGuy

Post by PhotonicGuy »

For me, the paper books will always be preferred. Probably I am a bit of an "old-timer" for the century which we live in, but I don't like to read an electronic book.
TIGERSPRITE

Post by TIGERSPRITE »

I understand that they're more convenient, but I don't really use e-readers. I like the more traditional paperbacks, even though I have an iTouch.
caribsa89

Post by caribsa89 »

I love them in fact I have 2 Sony Reader and I am a member of the Sony Reader Forum. There you can a perspective of people who owns and use them daily and love them. It's located here so, just add dot com after the sonyreaderboards
patrickt

Post by patrickt »

I love to read. I have seen, and handled, some exquisite books. Of course, they weren't paperbacks. Paperbacks are the cheap alternative. Paperbacks are the relatively disposable books of the world. Up until recent times books were a miracle and paperbacks might have been the pinnacle.

Twenty years ago a student told me that her career ambition was to be a librarian. I asked why and she said, "I love books. I like the feel, the smell, I like how they look. I just love books." I shook my head and said, "Visit with some librarians. Books used to be their professional life but now it's information."

Paperbacks don't reallye excite me. I occasionally see one with print so small I can't read it. I occasionally get one that quickly falls apart due to bad glue.

I am old and for years I lived in towns with small libraries and very small local bookstores. I read, of course, but I didn't have much choice. Now, I live in Mexico and my selection of books in English is even smaller. I am waiting for my first ebook reader to arrive. I've already downloaded three books for my soon, hopefully, to arrive reader.

I'll see how it goes.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”