Opinion on eReaders?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Cracker
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: Moby Dick
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2791

Re: Opinion on eReaders?

Post by Cracker »

Part of the answer will be your own economics....
I already own an iPad, so will use that to read ebooks. It can handle a variety of formats.
I also use it to download and read The Age every day, play with photos, take notes, do my social media etc.
The Kindle sounds great, and is an excellent ereader, but confined to Amazon titles.
The Google Nexus 7 sounds a lot more flexible with available content. If I didn't have my iPad, I'd be going for that.
So if you can only afford one device, check out something that will accept various formats of ebooks from a variety of sources.
Jimrada

Post by Jimrada »

I love my Kindle e-book. It's the type with the keypad. I am interested in getting the new one called Kindle Paperwhite. The screen looks sharper and the enhanced lighting is something I love. I would be able to get rid of the external light I use at night. However, the new one doesn't have as much memory as my current one. So I'll probably wait to see if they improve on that.
GarnetCompass

Post by GarnetCompass »

Personally, I feel that while ereaders are a more eco-friendly option, which take up less space and keep book costs relatively low, the traditional book just has the upper hand in that it never glitches.
RaeGeorge
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raegeorge.html

Post by RaeGeorge »

As practical as ereaders are, I really hope actual books don't become a thing of the past. I dont want to read bedtime stories to my children and grandchildren from an ereader.
For me, nothings better than seeing an overflowing bookcase, wandering around bookshops etc.
I like to feel the paper and the pages between my fingers and to actually see how much of the book ive left to read.
And I love to be able to simply give the book to someone else who I think would enjoy it.
L-A-Henderson[1]

Post by L-A-Henderson[1] »

Hello,
I say go with which one suits your lifestyle and budget the best.However I have kept the traditional ways .
Paperback and hardback.
Kind Regards,
L-A-
Jaybirdmcfee
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaybirdmcfee.html

Post by Jaybirdmcfee »

Go with a kindle, it's completely tailored for reading books. An Ipad may have a kindle app but it's just not the same. I have a kindle and I absolutely adore it.
booklvr62
Favorite Author: Richard Preston many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Dandelion Wine</a>
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by booklvr62 »

I've been able to get more and more of my library books in Kindle eBook format.It's always such a nice surprise when I do a search for a book in the library's online catalog and see that they have it in Kindle format also,and you can bet that I then check it out,without ever leaving home to borrow or return it! :D

The main reason I chose Amazon's Kindle,was because of years of knowing how awesome Amazon's Customer Service is,and their A to Z guarantee,plus they are the ONLY place that I am aware of that even gives you 7 days to return an eBook for a refund,such as if you mistakenly click the 'Buy Now' button when the price has suddenly changed from free to an amount[which can be more than just a dollar or two]!

Always check that price again before clicking,but the other day I didn't catch the price change until I was looking through my Amazon email receipts for the past several FREEBIE eBooks I had downloaded,and saw that I was charged for one that had been a FREEBIE,so I called Kindle CS and was immediately given a refund, you won't get that at Barnes And Noble for their Nook!You can also return an eBook if it has terrible formatting,thus making it a chore to read.
Fransiscan43

Post by Fransiscan43 »

I have used a Kindle since they first came out; my reason being that although I love the feel and smell of books I now own a wall-to-wall, floor to ceiling bookcase on the main floor and a basement full of books. I decided enough is enough and bought a Kindle and have never looked back. I particularly like the new feature of being able to loan books between kindle users at no cost. They are very user-friendly and convenient to carry around or keep in the glove compartment for a quick read.
viking308

Post by viking308 »

I purchased a Sony and a Kobo (for us Canadians) this Boxing day and I would really recommend the Sony. I forget the model number, but I like it because it has a SD card slot, touch screen and is all around easier to deal with. I don't know much about some of the more 'generic' readers, but I did buy one reader that looked good and looked cheap at a discount electronics place and it broke down shortly after I bought it. I would say, for the small investment you are going to make (the iPad is great, I have one but it IS expensive and cumbersome as a reader) get the Sony and get the warranty.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

viking308 wrote:I purchased a Sony and a Kobo (for us Canadians) this Boxing day and I would really recommend the Sony. I forget the model number, but I like it because it has a SD card slot, touch screen and is all around easier to deal with. I don't know much about some of the more 'generic' readers, but I did buy one reader that looked good and looked cheap at a discount electronics place and it broke down shortly after I bought it. I would say, for the small investment you are going to make (the iPad is great, I have one but it IS expensive and cumbersome as a reader) get the Sony and get the warranty.
I never heard of a Kobo - cute name though :lol:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
ZeroChill
Currently Reading: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zerochill.html
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace

Post by ZeroChill »

II love them in fact I have 2 Sony Reader and I am a member of the Sony Reader Forum. think the application cost around $3 and the ebooks cost about $12 each. I haven't used it since but it's a great tool for travelling when you don't want to bring 6 or 7 books with you.
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace
Deboleena Mookerjee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deboleena-mookerjee.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Deboleena Mookerjee »

I own a kindle and personally think that it's the best invention of mankind. I have both "Kindle Fire" and "Paperwhite" and find "paperwhite" a much better alternative as resembles a book in many ways. It's light and it's anti-glare screen is a real blessing.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Awesamo
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Awesamo »

Just buy a kindle of you are new to reading. It has nice battery timing and good life. Sony readers are very delicate and can break in your bags
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

Guys, don't waste your money by subscribing to any ereader app. If you have a smartphone, download free ereader Prestigio app on Google Play and enjoy reading. There are lots of free books too.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I own a Kindle and can't recommend it enough. Maybe go to a store and check it out for yourself? You might get a better idea.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”