Power Outage due to Storms

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Clinical1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Effective Leaders and Leadership
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clinical1.html
Latest Review: Breaking Sandcastles by Kirk Burris
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Power Outage due to Storms

Post by Clinical1 »

I read almost exclusively on Kindle app on phone or MS surface. We have been 24 hours without power. I have a generator, so my devices stay charged. Not everyone does. Do you worry you won't have access to books when power is out?
EllieA
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elliea.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by EllieA »

I keep a pretty large physical library as well, so I don't worry too much about what to read when the power goes out. But in this digital age, one great thing I have noticed is how neighbors come together-- there is always someone offering their power for others to charge phones or necessary devices. I hope that if anyone needed a quick charge, someone in their neighborhood would offer a "charging station!"
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Unfortunately that is my concern. I some time worry due to this digital age. Especially if it interferes with my reading goals.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

EllieA wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 21:09 I keep a pretty large physical library as well, so I don't worry too much about what to read when the power goes out. But in this digital age, one great thing I have noticed is how neighbors come together-- there is always someone offering their power for others to charge phones or necessary devices. I hope that if anyone needed a quick charge, someone in their neighborhood would offer a "charging station!"
I live in Michigan so power outages are a norm, so I have a large physical library as well. I also notice people coming together. We lost power for days before, some areas not having power for over a week and everyone helped each other out. It was refreshing to see.
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Tzara Drusak »

Power outages caused by storms are frequent where I live too. It used to be extremely annoying because I'd have tons of things I would need to do digitally and the batteries would be mostly dead. I got two generators to minimize the inconvenience caused but before I did, I would charge the batteries beforehand, take them out of the devices and use the laptop with the cord plugged in.

This was hell on my electricity bill, so that had a more negative impact than anything else, and the other devices like the PC and the tablets couldn't do the same thing. I do have an extensive physical library but I've read every book there and only some were worth rereading. Like I said, I got the generator to fix my problems, and invested in some really good portable chargers.
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-
P0tt3ry
Favorite Book: The Dresden Files
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p0tt3ry.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by P0tt3ry »

If you live in the American Midwest, power outages are part of life. We have a lot of thunderstorms and high winds. I charge everything in the evening and have several spare batteries--those externals that have USB and micro ports. There are also two physical libraries; one in my office and one in my husband's.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

That's one of the reasons why I still haven't gotten around reading the few printed books I bought months ago. I mostly read in my cell phone or laptop, since I can carry them anywhere, but I tend to save my printed books for such 'bad weather' days, when I cannot access the ebooks. People do not understand this behaviour, they are always like- 'why do you buy books if you're not reading them?' (and I am reading, but only the electronic versions). I think it is some kind of a survival strategy from my part- to tide over bad days.Is it weird?
Nanig83006
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanig83006.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Nanig83006 »

We don't have many power outages here and we're lucky they don't last long when they do occur, but we've yet to face a low charge issues. I have a love of physical books so I don't have to worry about being without, but I would hate to be in the middle of an ebook with low battery and the power cut out. :lol2:
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

I think my biggest concern with a power outage is having no internet to buy more books! Just thankful we have internet on a phone so we have some internet in case power does go out. I'd think if I ran out of power though, I'd have to sit in the car for a while to recharge my phone. No backup generators here.
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

Aryastark wrote: 02 May 2018, 03:13 That's one of the reasons why I still haven't gotten around reading the few printed books I bought months ago. I mostly read in my cell phone or laptop, since I can carry them anywhere, but I tend to save my printed books for such 'bad weather' days, when I cannot access the ebooks. People do not understand this behaviour, they are always like- 'why do you buy books if you're not reading them?' (and I am reading, but only the electronic versions). I think it is some kind of a survival strategy from my part- to tide over bad days.Is it weird?
It is not weird; especially when storm damage can really limit access to the internet or even just the ability to recharge something to read a saved book.

The only problem is making sure there are enough batteries for booklights; I've burned through too many booklights to count.
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
acupofsubtletea
Currently Reading: A Study in Charlotte
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acupofsubtletea.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by acupofsubtletea »

As someone who lives in Florida and has experienced lots of long power outages thanks to hurricanes, this is often a fear of mine. I always have a ton of ebooks on my phone, but I also have quite a large library of physical books. They may not always be as high of priority books for me to read, but I’ve always got a stack of books ready to be read when physical books are the better way to go.
Bukari
Currently Reading: Everything Solid Has a Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukari.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Bukari »

Oh! It is clear that most of us have a challenge when there is a power outage.
"Ever Tried. Ever Failed. No Matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better." - Samuel Beckett.
history100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-history100.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by history100 »

If I know that storms are coming I make a point of charging my devices. I want to make sure that I start off with a full charge all around.

I also have "real" books but that isn't enough if the power goes out at night. I have a few book light readers so I can still read in the dark. A flashlight works but using a clip-on LED book light is more comfortable.
VickiJ

I have my books and my poetry to protect me
I am shielded in my armor
kinjoz
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinjoz.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by kinjoz »

I don't really worry whenever there is a power outage. This is where paperbacks come in handy. I just pick one and read instead of going for the ebooks to conserve the remaining charge on my devices. I have almost always made sure I had a new book on my shelves for moments when something like that happens or when I simply wish to rest my eyes a bit.
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

Sometimes I do worry about power outages but I usually have a hard copy of a different book to keep me busy if that happens.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”