Power Outage due to Storms

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Clinical1
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 54
Currently Reading: Effective Leaders and Leadership
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clinical1.html
Latest Review: Breaking Sandcastles by Kirk Burris
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Power Outage due to Storms

Post by Clinical1 » 22 Mar 2018, 13:28

I read almost exclusively on Kindle app on phone or MS surface. We have been 24 hours without power. I have a generator, so my devices stay charged. Not everyone does. Do you worry you won't have access to books when power is out?

EllieA
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 64
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elliea.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by EllieA » 24 Mar 2018, 21:09

I keep a pretty large physical library as well, so I don't worry too much about what to read when the power goes out. But in this digital age, one great thing I have noticed is how neighbors come together-- there is always someone offering their power for others to charge phones or necessary devices. I hope that if anyone needed a quick charge, someone in their neighborhood would offer a "charging station!"

ValBookReviews
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 70
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valbookreviews.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by ValBookReviews » 28 Mar 2018, 18:51

Unfortunately that is my concern. I some time worry due to this digital age. Especially if it interferes with my reading goals.
"And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life". (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:

KasieMiehlke
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 150
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 26
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 14
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke » 23 Apr 2018, 10:08

EllieA wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 21:09
I keep a pretty large physical library as well, so I don't worry too much about what to read when the power goes out. But in this digital age, one great thing I have noticed is how neighbors come together-- there is always someone offering their power for others to charge phones or necessary devices. I hope that if anyone needed a quick charge, someone in their neighborhood would offer a "charging station!"
I live in Michigan so power outages are a norm, so I have a large physical library as well. I also notice people coming together. We lost power for days before, some areas not having power for over a week and everyone helped each other out. It was refreshing to see.

Tzara Drusak
2018 Reading Goal: 300
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Tzara Drusak » 27 Apr 2018, 14:27

Power outages caused by storms are frequent where I live too. It used to be extremely annoying because I'd have tons of things I would need to do digitally and the batteries would be mostly dead. I got two generators to minimize the inconvenience caused but before I did, I would charge the batteries beforehand, take them out of the devices and use the laptop with the cord plugged in.

This was hell on my electricity bill, so that had a more negative impact than anything else, and the other devices like the PC and the tablets couldn't do the same thing. I do have an extensive physical library but I've read every book there and only some were worth rereading. Like I said, I got the generator to fix my problems, and invested in some really good portable chargers.
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-

P0tt3ry
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 7
Favorite Book: The Dresden Files
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p0tt3ry.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by P0tt3ry » 27 Apr 2018, 22:36

If you live in the American Midwest, power outages are part of life. We have a lot of thunderstorms and high winds. I charge everything in the evening and have several spare batteries--those externals that have USB and micro ports. There are also two physical libraries; one in my office and one in my husband's.

Aryastark
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aryastark.html
Latest Review: The Prize by Geoffrey M Cooper

Post by Aryastark » 02 May 2018, 03:13

That's one of the reasons why I still haven't gotten around reading the few printed books I bought months ago. I mostly read in my cell phone or laptop, since I can carry them anywhere, but I tend to save my printed books for such 'bad weather' days, when I cannot access the ebooks. People do not understand this behaviour, they are always like- 'why do you buy books if you're not reading them?' (and I am reading, but only the electronic versions). I think it is some kind of a survival strategy from my part- to tide over bad days.Is it weird?

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”