Helpful Tip for iPhone and iPad Users

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: A Song In Time by Ashley Robert
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Helpful Tip for iPhone and iPad Users

Post by JessNWheeler » 25 Feb 2018, 16:38

Hello fellow Apple users! Did you know that Siri can read your ebooks & PDFs to you? I like to put Siri to work when I’m driving or doing dishes. A quick Google search will give you links to directions on how to set this up. It’s super easy. Think of the extra reading you can get in with Siri’s help!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde

Wambamsammz
2018 Reading Goal: 0
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Wambamsammz » 26 Feb 2018, 14:22

Oh, my goodness. As someone who listens to a lot of podcasts & audiobooks at work already, this just blew my whole mind.

I'm going to be sneaking in markers and pens to write notes on scraps of trash but by gosh it will get done!

DancingLady
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 92
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady » 27 Feb 2018, 22:39

I would caution you that you must not do this with a book you are reviewing. You would most likely miss every single typo or error and even if you could hear them because Siri read something that sounded awkward, you very likely won't be able to pull the device out and locate it to make a note for your review before Siri has moved on so far you have lost the place. There is also the issue that an electronic reader no matter how good, is not going to give all the inflection properly, and this will affect your ability to perceive the whether the writing flows well, has smooth natural sounding, dialogue, or has a stilted feel. Other than that, it's great if you want to get through books while doing other tasks. I would put this to use for books I want to get through for personal education.

briellejee
2018 Reading Goal: 120
2017 Reading Goal: 15
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 79
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: South of Main Street by Robert Gately

Post by briellejee » 05 Mar 2018, 09:30

DancingLady wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 22:39
I would caution you that you must not do this with a book you are reviewing. You would most likely miss every single typo or error and even if you could hear them because Siri read something that sounded awkward, you very likely won't be able to pull the device out and locate it to make a note for your review before Siri has moved on so far you have lost the place. There is also the issue that an electronic reader no matter how good, is not going to give all the inflection properly, and this will affect your ability to perceive the whether the writing flows well, has smooth natural sounding, dialogue, or has a stilted feel. Other than that, it's great if you want to get through books while doing other tasks. I would put this to use for books I want to get through for personal education.
I agree to this. Plus, does Siri do the reading well enough? She could miss the whole point of a sentence and it will sound a bit bland to you. It may also lessen the experience or connection you will have with the book. However, I would try for this for books I have read already. Thanks for the tip!

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”