What would you improve on your e-reader and why?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

What would you improve on your e-reader and why?

Post by Anirudh Badri »

I use a Kindle and the only thing that I would like to improve is the ability to read PDFs easily. The text and the numbers usually get messed up and the formatting becomes terrible when I convert or move a PDF to it.

What would you improve if you had the power? Maybe if enough of us want it, that might give a company an idea.
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

Definitely agree on the PDF. I pretty much ignore the format because of those problems. My biggest issue is when chapters are not showing. I usually like to plan exactly how many pages I will read every day, so it's nicer to know that I have to read till chapter X to fulfill my daily quota. Manually searching for that is too much of a hassle.
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

I don't have an e-reader exactly. But I have encountered apps that always open the e-book at the first page. It would be nice to have the pages opened at where the reader left at.
-rk
CountryChick94
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by CountryChick94 »

I use the nook for my e-reader. I have a first edition, one of the older color nooks (that used to be my hubby's before we had smart phones), and I have the nook app on my phone. I honestly love the first edition nook the best. I have a book-like cover on it, and the e-ink screen is great. It really feels like reading a book, but without taking up so much space. :techie-studyinggray: I also like seeing the cover of my book in full-color on the touch screen at the bottom.

But... the only way to read at night is to clip a light on it. I have tried other nooks with nighttime reading, and I think there has to be a better way. I had a nook with the "glow light," but that hurt my eyes no matter how high or low I adjusted it. So I took that one back and got a refund. I like the white on black night reading option on the color nook and phone, except that I hate feeling like I'm staring at a computer screen. I do that enough at work! Surely--with today's technology--there is a way to have an e-ink screen like the first edition nook, and put a better night time reading option on there.

My other compliant is that when I search for free books, I have to search through a lot of smut to find decent books to read. I think the free e-books are genius because they give the customer a deal while attracting new readers who often end up purchasing the remaining books in a series. It's a win-win for both the author and the customer. It's how I discovered one of my favorite authors! But I with the nook had better options to search for free books.
WilliamTimothyMurray
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by WilliamTimothyMurray »

I use a Kobo Glo and I like it a lot. But one thing I wish it could do is to zoom in on graphics contained within ebooks. This is especially needed when reading history books that contain maps. Otherwise I'm fairly pleased with how my device works.
ZeroChill
Currently Reading: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zerochill.html
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace

Post by ZeroChill »

Personally I would like it to have more battery power that could make it go longer. It often happens that the reader goes out of battery and then I have to wait for it
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

I have nothing to improve on the free ereader Prestigio app that i had downloaded on Google Play Store. It works well on my smartphone.
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

I have Kobo Aura and loving it. I wish the zoom in was handled a little differently for pdf. It is hard to read comics on it.
writtenbetweenthelin
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by writtenbetweenthelin »

Well I have a "Tolino Shine 2H" which is awesome for reading ePubs and PDFs, but I can't open any amazon content with this reader... this sucks...
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I own a Paperwhite and it seems to be lagging a lot lately - maybe cuz of the number of books I download on a daily basis. Maybe this could be fixed? (I hope the Kindle Gods are listening)
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”