Are Books Disappearing?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
webworkz7
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-webworkz7.html

Re: Are Books Disappearing?

Post by webworkz7 »

I have tried ghostwriting e-books for clients but haven't tried writing and publishing one under my name yet I can say that I still prefer buying a book from bookstores on paper where I can flip through the pages manually than a digital one. Or else, I could have both, but I am not the type of person who will exchange the classic paper version to the modern digital version.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I don't think physical copies of books will ever disappear. Even though book stores may have been been closing over the years, people can still buy books online. I will admit that I am using my kindle more now than before, but I still really enjoy reading physical books. :techie-studyinggray:
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
cranej80
Currently Reading: love your life not theirs
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cranej80.html
Latest Review: "Food Gift Recipes From Nature's Bounty" by Lilly Robbins Brock
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by cranej80 »

I don't think that paper books will disappear because I believe lots of people like the feel of a paper book in their hands. At least, that is true for me. Also, there is a thrill I get when I go to a bookstore and buy a book of the shelf.
Latest Review: "Food Gift Recipes From Nature's Bounty" by Lilly Robbins Brock
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

Sadly, I think that real books will actually be scarce in the near future, and that it will be a collectors item.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
jill00043
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by jill00043 »

I think books will not go out of print, sotospeak, anytime tsoon. However, having a reader, does make for cheaper books as companies are able to keep the cost down due to no material, easier delivery, etc. I would like to see books still in print when I'm 80 as honestly, there is nothing better than hearing that first crack of the bind and smelling the pages. :D
trishamira
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishamira.html

Post by trishamira »

I think books are not going anywhere too soon because most people still prefer paper books to e-books...yes , in some instances books are getting more accessible electronically however I'd love to cuddle up with a book any day.
bibliophagist_
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliophagist.html

Post by bibliophagist_ »

It's hard to say if books will be disappearing anytime soon, but personally, I think there is nothing better than holding a printed book in my hand and getting lost in it. I own a kindle, but it just doesn't provide the same experience for me as an old-fashioned paperback does. However, times are changing, and there really is no telling what will happen to books.
DeltaV4
Currently Reading: Orphan #8
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deltav4.html

Post by DeltaV4 »

I don't think so. When eReaders first came out, everyone was excited to try this "new reading device" so profits went up for the first few years they were launched. After the phase passed, the numbers have slowly declined as people are getting over the technology for reading and reverting back to the physical copies of the books. I love my eReader but I would choose a hard copy of a book I really enjoyed over its electronic copy.
ZeroChill
Currently Reading: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zerochill.html
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace

Post by ZeroChill »

Yes yes books are disappearing fast now...... Previously you would find bookstalls and stuff but now its nothing. Sad life :(
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

To be sure, there are advantages and disadvantages to both modes of book publication. Everyone will have his pick on the matter.

But books in the printed form will never become obsolete.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

While ebooks are popular, I don't think true books will ever disappear. I'm not sure what I'd do without my library or local bookstore.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I totally agree. Technology is making our beloved books disappear.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
R-Myra
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-myra.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by R-Myra »

SilentWords wrote: 13 Oct 2009, 10:58 With the Amazon Kindle and Sony Readers becoming more and more popular, the realization that printed books will become non-existent is becoming more palatable. You can buy a book on Kindle for $10 in some cases, whereas you'd have to spend at least $25 for a book in print... the prices of the Kindles will drop, and people will start to buy them more, and pretty soon people will start to sell pirated copies for free. Authors will get paid less, and pretty soon, they won't want to write anymore... their printed works will be replaced with free downloadable versions and cheaper copies.

That's just my opinion... what are yours?
I might have to agree with you on this. That is one of the problems of not having books in print because of the print cost. But I love to read paper book and that would make a lot of people sad that they will not get books in hands.
-R
Zilelabelle
Currently Reading: Dragonfriend
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zilelabelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by Zilelabelle »

I certainly hope not! While I prefer to use my Kindle for day to day use, I still buy paper books occasionally for the feel of it. Nothing can take away from the smell, feel, and ability to interact more fully with whatever world I am currently immersed in.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

I think that despite the rise in e-readers, there are a huge number of us who will always buy physical books. Maybe I'm just hopeful but that's what I think. Additionally, I'm actually shocked by the high prices on ebooks. I have found in most cases, I pay the same for an ebook as I would the paperback (so of course, I'd prefer the physical book). Because of the rising prices in ebooks, I believe authors will still be paid the same.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”