Are Books Disappearing?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
SilentWords
Bookshelf Size: 0

Are Books Disappearing?

Post by SilentWords »

With the Amazon Kindle and Sony Readers becoming more and more popular, the realization that printed books will become non-existent is becoming more palatable. You can buy a book on Kindle for $10 in some cases, whereas you'd have to spend at least $25 for a book in print... the prices of the Kindles will drop, and people will start to buy them more, and pretty soon people will start to sell pirated copies for free. Authors will get paid less, and pretty soon, they won't want to write anymore... their printed works will be replaced with free downloadable versions and cheaper copies.

That's just my opinion... what are yours?
Bowlie

Post by Bowlie »

Part of the reason the books are cheaper for e-books is there is not the materials and overhead costs for the books that exists with paper books. Either way, I don't think paper books are going anywhere anytime soon. Too many people like reading paper books I think. I still enjoy reading books in paper even though I have an e-book reader.
wille

Post by wille »

I don't think paper books will disappear.. It's not the same feeling you get when you have to read a book on your computer.. the feeling of owning and holding your favorite book is special...
In my oppinion it would be a great loss to substitute a real book with a computer version..

But if it does happen.. I don't think writers would write as much.. if I was a writer I would be disapointed if the book only exsisted on a computer...
Classical is Classy

Post by Classical is Classy »

SilentWords wrote:Authors will get paid less, and pretty soon, they won't want to write anymore... their printed works will be replaced with free downloadable versions and cheaper copies.
Hm, if I understand you right you're saying that authors will start disappearing due to the fact that they're not getting paid as much?
Interesting, but I don't think it'll happen unless people stop wanting to buy books. Because assume the demand stays the same (or increases) there won't be enough supply to meet demand, therefore prices will increase and authors who were just in it for the money will flock back.

One must also keep in mind some authors just write because they enjoy doing it, and not just for the money.

As Bowlie pointed out, one of the reasons they may be cheaper is that the materials are not used so the author's cut may not be effected.

And also I'm one of those people who prefer a paper book, like Wille said. So there are most likely a decent amount of people loyal to the good ole fashion books with spines :).
The Mythwriter

Post by The Mythwriter »

The ebooks may be cheap, but their readers sure aren't, and that will keep me and most of my college friends from ever buying one. I don't believe I've ever seen one outside a store display either, so they're not ultra-popular yet, if you were to ask my perspective.

Now, there can be no debate they will get quite affordable in the next few years, these things always do... at least, they should. As much as they want money, the economical thing is to of course sell them as cheap as possible so more people buy.

All the same, I'll probably never own one, simply because I'm stubborn as anything, love old books (especially leatherbounds, when I can find them) and finally, because I won't touch one until some issues have been rectified. This was posted a little while back, you will doubtless find it interesting.

http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewtopic.php?t=4228
"The world has been printing books for 450 years, and yet gunpowder still has a wider circulation. Never mind! Printer's ink is the greater explosive: it will win." - Christopher Morley, "The Haunted Bookshop."
Moore

Post by Moore »

i don't think that paper books will dissapear! Although we have lots of audio books or electronic books, i think people still prefer to feel a paper book in the hands and enjoy its reading.
Last edited by Moore on 23 Oct 2009, 09:11, edited 2 times in total.
wille

Post by wille »

I prefer paper boks, but I think it is good that people have the option to choose between paper and e-books...
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Well I suppose it all depends on Global Warming ... if "civilisation" as we know it is on the road to extinction maybe we will all be back with paper & pen, candles and bicycles in a few years. At least you don't need to recharge your trusty paperback!
cameron333

Post by cameron333 »

Just look at audio books. When they came out they were a bit of a hoot too, but now look at them. There is a section the size of a bathroom in libraries for audio books. Then the rest of the building is full of books.
SoggyPeanutPatrol

Post by SoggyPeanutPatrol »

Classical is Classy wrote:One must also keep in mind some authors just write because they enjoy doing it, and not just for the money.
That's true, but if authors don't get paid, we're not going to see their work. They'll either starve or they'll have to get a real job--either way, they won't be writing much. Everyone should read "The Great Automatic Grammatizer" by Roald Dahl. It's the first story in The Umbrella Man. It has a little bit to do with this discussion.
Classical is Classy

Post by Classical is Classy »

SoggyPeanutPatrol wrote:
Classical is Classy wrote:One must also keep in mind some authors just write because they enjoy doing it, and not just for the money.
That's true, but if authors don't get paid, we're not going to see their work. They'll either starve or they'll have to get a real job--either way, they won't be writing much. Everyone should read "The Great Automatic Grammatizer" by Roald Dahl. It's the first story in The Umbrella Man. It has a little bit to do with this discussion.
Aye, if they don't get paid It'll most likely be more rare. But not disappeared totally. In the past they weren't paid (or paid much) and we still have classical works from before the printing press. I still think the chances of them not getting paid is very slim due to supply and demand though.
Bowlie

Post by Bowlie »

I think the opposite is happening. Self-publishing is becoming more common because of the easy access to digital copies of books. Books are also able to come out faster about current events than if they had been written in paper. I still think authors will get paid for their work even if digital copies are available. There is less direct materials and overhead costs to producing a digital copy than a paper copy which will either keep the same amount of money in the author's pocket or possibly more if they self-publish (let's not kid ourselves...I'm sure the publishing companies will take any advantage money-wise).

I know the RIAA complains a lot about music being stolen, but I actually think that I buy more music now than I did back in the day where I could make a tape from someone's music. I think what's changed is that people demand more quality music from artists and will only buy the songs they like rather than buy the whole album if it's not up to standard. I think the same possibility exists with books. Digital copies will make easier access for writers, but I think quality of writing will have to be there for people to buy it.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Sure there are writers who are motivated by the money and in most of those cases their books have a short shelf life. The really long lasting books are by authors who are motivated by the need for self-expression and the desire to create. As with our ancestors cave drawings, humans would still want to express themselves creatively even if there wasn't a shilling to be made from it. Most of the great authors in the past never made a brass farthing from their books but that did'nt stop them!
Vault Dweller

Post by Vault Dweller »

I have to agree with one of the previous posters. I haven't seen many e-readers around to make me believe that they are really taking off, and I don't think they will take off as long as there is onerous DRM on the books you "buy." You never truly own the books you get from Amazon, so if you decide to upgrade, or replace a Kindle for any reason, you may or may not be able to install a previously purchased book. There is a very limited number (1-2) of licenses issued with each purchase of a book, and only the publisher really knows how many. I think most people prefer to own the books they pay for, not rent them.
chamberlainj

Post by chamberlainj »

You're more wrong than you could be, when books were first being made well not first we know books date back before christ. Even in the 1700's when Ben Franklin opened up the first free library in the U.S. Only rich people could afford to leave there job go there and read. Why rich people you ask they mines well just buy them? No, books than would cost the avg. man a years salary for a book imagine that. A rich person it would cost them 1/4 a years salary. Today, books are printed so that multiples can be bought in a single HOUR of work. This world is becoming more plentiful with books.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”