Are Books Disappearing?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Camille Turner
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 126
Currently Reading: Sophie's World
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Seven at Two Past Five by Tara Basi

Re: Are Books Disappearing?

Post by Camille Turner » 16 Mar 2018, 09:42

I think that despite the rise in e-readers, there are a huge number of us who will always buy physical books. Maybe I'm just hopeful but that's what I think. Additionally, I'm actually shocked by the high prices on ebooks. I have found in most cases, I pay the same for an ebook as I would the paperback (so of course, I'd prefer the physical book). Because of the rising prices in ebooks, I believe authors will still be paid the same.

read2u
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 22
Currently Reading: Unveil your Intimate Self
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-read2u.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by read2u » 19 Mar 2018, 12:07

Here's to keeping books. There is nothing like the smell and feel of a book! I especially enjoy browsing through bookstores and the library for a good read. However, I am going to get a "reader" due to joining this book club because it will be easier when traveling.

seymmarc
Currently Reading: The Nun
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seymmarc.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by seymmarc » 21 Mar 2018, 14:08

I think it would be very hard for books to disappear. Yes, ebooks and audiobooks are cheaper and easier to access, but the technology you need to read them isn't cheap. I know I wouldn't have an eReader if it hadn't been a gift. The other thing with using technology to read is it's just not as durable. I would feel comfortable reading a print book near a lake or a pool in the sun, but that's hard on technology. Also, students will need print books to work with when in school since most schools ban electronics in the classroom and having an eReader for each student would be expensive. So if we are still printing textbooks and other books for educational purposes, it would be hard to do the same outside of the classroom.

Sakilunamermaid
2018 Reading Goal: 52
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 23
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 280

Post by Sakilunamermaid » 21 Mar 2018, 18:59

I love that this topic was made in 2009, books are still alive and kicking. There will always be people who prefer actual physical books and purchasing different formats will always be based on income/ space/ lifestyle.

ValBookReviews
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valbookreviews.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by ValBookReviews » 28 Mar 2018, 18:55

I believe you hit the nail on the head. But, I hope books will remain and not become distinct because I still love and appreciate holding a good physical copy, within the palms of my hands.
"And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life". (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:

See_B00kReaDs
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by See_B00kReaDs » 29 Mar 2018, 23:55

I don't think books will disappear any time soon since there are hard copy avid readers. I do hope authors won't be discourage in writing more books though.
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan

God bless you! :D

anix67
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anix67.html
Latest Review: Prairie Patriarch by Rosemary J. Erickson, Ph.D.

Post by anix67 » 01 Apr 2018, 01:22

I definitely do not think that they will disappear altogether but they are going away quite a bit. I used to have more book stores near me and I loved it but with all the ebook readers and whatnot, a lot of them have gone out of business and left just a few. I don't think, though, that they will all go away because I think there are enough of us out there who prefer to buy a real book that will always be doing so even if they also have some sort of e reader

pdowell
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by pdowell » 01 Apr 2018, 01:28

This makes me actually really sad. I could not imagine a world that I could not unplug myself from everything else and just read. Everything from the smell of freshly printed books to the cozy-at home feeling of entering a book store

Tzara Drusak
2018 Reading Goal: 300
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 14
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Tzara Drusak » 27 Apr 2018, 14:54

Old-fashioned books are always going to exist, in my opinion. Despite the issues surrounding it, what with the ecosystem damage, the production price and it being cheaper and easier to reproduce digitally, I feel that people will always want a few books in their physical libraries. This is proven by the ever-present desire for first editions and the high value of older, classic books. Like I said, long live print.
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-

Mely918
Currently Reading: From Genesis to Genocide
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: Living by Choice by Michael L. Nelson

Post by Mely918 » 05 Jun 2018, 19:19

I don't think we have to worry about hard copy books disappearing just yet. We still have a good chunk of people who enjoy having the actual book in their hands. Perhaps in the future, as technology becomes more prominent we may start to see books fade away.

rave_2
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by rave_2 » 09 Jun 2018, 17:48

There are still people around that prefer printed books rather than ebooks or audio books. I don't think that books are disappearing. It's just the format we tell them with could change.

kinjoz
Currently Reading: Randy Love...at your service
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinjoz.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by kinjoz » 15 Aug 2018, 11:29

There are less people nowadays who go out to seek for books and instead opt for the ebook version of whatever topic they are after. They are of course cheaper, and easily accessible. They are also less bulky to carry around. But I would not exactly say that books are disappearing, it is that more people are shifting to the convenience of ebooks.

Cher432
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cher432.html
Latest Review: Forgiven by Geoff Lawson

Post by Cher432 » 26 Aug 2018, 04:27

In many cases books dissapear after they go out of print unless someone issues a reprint or ebook version of the book.

Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Oulababe » 12 Sep 2018, 14:38

I don't think books will disappear completely. What I think is that they'll become less hence their demand will rise and they will start publishing more.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”