Help opening ebook files (epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Re: Help opening ebook files (epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)

Post by Dolor »

jollybee wrote: 09 Dec 2017, 17:33 Hi Good Day . It breaks my heart when I received an e-mail from [email protected] saying that:

“URGENT - Reviewer Account at Risk of Banning (ACTION REQUIRED)

WARNING: You were given a free book in exchange for a review. These are not regularly free books. Someone is paying for the cost of the book to enable you to get a free copy *in exchange for* a review. According to our records, you accepted this offer and the book was thus made available to you and all associated costs already paid.

Our records indicate that you have not updated the status of your review in about 18 days.”

I’m new in the Review Team and this is my first time to review a book but unfortunately, I’m facing some trouble in downloading the book. The book I’m trying to download is Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs.

Last December 2, 2017, I posted in the Forum saying this:

“Hi Good Day.

I have a problem in downloading the file that’s why I didn’t update my status if I successfully downloaded it. When I tried to click/ press the link, it’s just turned into color yellow. My phone is Iphone5s and the file format I tried to download is in epub. What should I do?

Thank you and I hope you can help me with this problem. :)

Unfortunately, Nook is not available in our country (Philippines). I’m having a trouble in verifying my account in Amazon & Kindle. I don’t have a desktop to use Calibre. Lastly, I’m using Iphone5s, and - eReader Prestigio is for Android.

Is there anyway to solve this problem?
What should we do?
Can’t you just e-mail the book directly to the reviewer?
Can we use IBooks instead of the Apps mentioned in the topic “help opening an ebook file”?

Thank you very much and I wish that you’ll understand the situation. More power and Godbless. :)
I'm sorry to hear that you went through this hardship. There are lots of free IOS ereader apps other than Kindle and Nook. My sister in the Philippines is using Wattpad. Downloading through epub file format is not a problem. You can also try Google Play Books, Overdrive, Bluefire Reader and Kobo. Pictures are not that important in book reviewing. If you can't download those apps I mentioned above, Try downloading Comixology and Chunky.

I hope this helps.

Dolor ♡
Addison57
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Addison57 »

Tried to open the ebook," The Right to Nominate", in word and pdf.
My first time opening an ebook
I am using firefox
The system will not allow me to access the select tab to choose another book.
An error message appears saying an error cannot upload.
Addison57

Post by Addison57 »

I still cannot open right to nominate in a adobe format. Error message appears saying cannot open because it was not coded correctly or sent as an email attachment. This is my 6th time trying.
peaces
Currently Reading: who told you that you are naked
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peaces.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by peaces »

Yes to the 3 questions, the downloaded book is showing 0 byte size
Denny Bong
Currently Reading:
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Denny Bong »

1. Do not know 2. Tecno Y2 Android phone 3. No 4. When I get to the order page promt and press it, what Comes up is the Amazon Com page. This is where I am stuck. 5. No error message. 6. Amazon also Kindle Unlimited is not available in my locality Nigeria
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

Denny Bong wrote: 25 Dec 2017, 05:31 1. Do not know 2. Tecno Y2 Android phone 3. No 4. When I get to the order page promt and press it, what Comes up is the Amazon Com page. This is where I am stuck. 5. No error message. 6. Amazon also Kindle Unlimited is not available in my locality Nigeria
Hi, Denny,

I am using a smartphone and Kindle is not available here in Saudi Arabia too.
When I get to the order page promt and press it, what Comes up is the Amazon Com page. This is where I am stuck.
Since we can't view and open books on Kindle because of it's unavailability in our places, we can gain insights about the book by scrolling down to the DESCRIPTION of the book and even down below where the book reviews are written. By reading them, we can get ideas that we can use to comment about the BOTD on social media. Of course, make your own words from their words and don't just copy their reviews.

I hope this helps you up from where you are stucked.

Dolor ♡
mytkreadingreview
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mytkreadingreview.html
Latest Review: Scam Story by Gini Graham Scott
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mytkreadingreview »

1epub
2Laptop
3.No
4.I didn't been able to download the app
5.When I try to download the app it just stops when I don't allow adobe reader to interfere
6.When I allowed adobe reader to interfere it is able to be downloaded successfully but can't open the file
betweenthekeys19
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Reading Device: B00REQL3AE

Post by betweenthekeys19 »

1. In what file format is the ebook (e.g. epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)?
epub

2. What device are using to try to open it?
Kindle

3. Have you ever successfully opened a file in that format on that device before?
No - I accidentally requested the wrong format

4. If your answer to question 3 is "yes", please describe the steps you usually take to successfully open a file in that format on your device. If your answer to question 3 is "no" then please describe what steps you did try to open the file.
I tried converting the epub to PDF and opening on my Kindle, but I was unable to get it to download or work correctly.

5. When following the usual process you use to open that kind of file on your device, or the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post, at what step does it uniquely go wrong with this file? In other words, on which step, of the steps you listed as your response to question #4, do you run into trouble with this file but not other files of the same file type?
I just requested the wrong type of publication. I need a PDF rather than an epub file

6. Do you get an error message? If so, what is the exact wording of the error message?
Format Not Supported

7. Did you read and try the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post? If not, please do that before replying. Please name which apps your tried from the suggested apps.
Yes - I am not going to download the Nook app onto my phone when I have a Kindle - that is the way I read ebooks. I would much rather have a PDF rather than an epub
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

betweenthekeys19 wrote: 27 Dec 2017, 07:25 1. In what file format is the ebook (e.g. epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)?
epub

Kindle

3. Have you ever successfully opened a file in that format on that device before?
No - I accidentally requested the wrong format

4. If your answer to question 3 is "yes", please describe the steps you usually take to successfully open a file in that format on your device. If your answer to question 3 is "no" then please describe what steps you did try to open the file.
I tried converting the epub to PDF and opening on my Kindle, but I was unable to get it to download or work correctly.

5. When following the usual process you use to open that kind of file on your device, or the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post, at what step does it uniquely go wrong with this file? In other words, on which step, of the steps you listed as your response to question #4, do you run into trouble with this file but not other files of the same file type?
I just requested the wrong type of publication. I need a PDF rather than an epub file

6. Do you get an error message? If so, what is the exact wording of the error message?
Format Not Supported

7. Did you read and try the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post? If not, please do that before replying. Please name which apps your tried from the suggested apps.
Yes - I am not going to download the Nook app onto my phone when I have a Kindle - that is the way I read ebooks. I would much rather have a PDF rather than an epub
You should convert the file to the correct format via the Free Calibre App.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
mytkreadingreview
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mytkreadingreview.html
Latest Review: Scam Story by Gini Graham Scott
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mytkreadingreview »

1.epub
2.My pc
3.no
4.When I click it appears uTorrent and it say's recommended program and there after uTorrent gives me this message ,it seems like uTorrent is already running but not responding.
5.By the time it must open
6.It seems like uTorrent is already running but isn't responding
Madamemuddy
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Madamemuddy »

1. In what file format is the ebook (e.g. epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)? -EPUB

2. What device are using to try to open it? - Android phone

3. Have you ever successfully opened a file in that format on that device before? - Yes

4. If your answer to question 3 is "yes", please describe the steps you usually take to successfully open a file in that format on your device. If your answer to question 3 is "no" then please describe what steps you did try to open the file. - After I download the file I have my eBook reader scan the files in my phone and then it let's me open the file from the eBook app

5. When following the usual process you use to open that kind of file on your device, or the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post, at what step does it uniquely go wrong with this file? In other words, on which step, of the steps you listed as your response to question #4, do you run into trouble with this file but not other files of the same file type? -It goes wrong when I try to open the file after it downloads

6. Do you get an error message? If so, what is the exact wording of the error message? - "can't open file" is what I see on the screen.

7. Did you read and try the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post? If not, please do that before replying. Please name which apps your tried from the suggested apps - yes. Nook is not available in my country when I tried it and Ereader Prestigio
SilkButtefly34

Post by SilkButtefly34 »

1. In what file format is the ebook (e.g. epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)?

The format is Epub

My Android Smart phone

Yes

I usually use UB Reader which opens all file types and after download I just click on it and the book is immediately imported. This time the file did not work so I downloaded Kindle and moved the file to book folder but it just won't work.

5. When following the usual process you use to open that kind of file on your device, or the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post, at what step does it uniquely go wrong with this file? In other words, on which step, of the steps you listed as your response to question

It won't open at all on UB Reader and Kindle does not pick up the file at all. In my files manager folder the file won't open either.

#4, do you run into trouble with this file but not other files of the same file type?

Yes I usually only read Epub

No error message

I've tried Amazon Kindle
Amy_Jackson
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-jackson.html
Latest Review: A Voice from Heaven by Alexander V Girman & Cynthia J Girman

Post by Amy_Jackson »

Im having trouble downloading a book I'm supposed to review, TWISTED THREADS by Kaylin McFarren.
1. The file is in PDF format
2. I'm using Android phone
3. Yes I have successfully downloaded PDF files on the device before
4. I click on download file and it starts downloading, showing percentage download till 100% successful, then I open it
5. For this file, it shows an endless line of downloading, never gets to the stage of showing percentage download
6. After a long while, I get an error message: download unsuccessful
7. Yes I tried the top tips. Neither the Free Nook app nor the Free Kindle app is available in my country.

Please help, my time is ticking and my review score is being affected
SilkButtefly34

Post by SilkButtefly34 »

SilkButtefly34 wrote: 03 Jan 2018, 16:27 1. In what file format is the ebook (e.g. epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)?

The format is Epub

My Android Smart phone

Yes

I usually use UB Reader which opens all file types and after download I just click on it and the book is immediately imported. This time the file did not work so I downloaded Kindle and moved the file to book folder but it just won't work.

5. When following the usual process you use to open that kind of file on your device, or the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post, at what step does it uniquely go wrong with this file? In other words, on which step, of the steps you listed as your response to question

It won't open at all on UB Reader and Kindle does not pick up the file at all. In my files manager folder the file won't open either.

#4, do you run into trouble with this file but not other files of the same file type?

Yes I usually only read Epub

No error message

I've tried Amazon Kindle
I've resolved this myself by downloading the book on my PC then transferring to my mobile device for reading. The Epub now also works on UB Reader :-)
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Hi there, I have kindle unlimited from Amazon on my iphone and computer - does anyone know how to copy books from the kindle app to an e-reader which does not have apps? Seems like there are no options to save and you just have to read on the kindle app....which I can't get for e-reader... anyone?

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”