Help opening ebook files (epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Kay Abel
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 3

Re: Help opening ebook files (epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)

Post by Kay Abel »

I have downloaded the book yes...
However the format in which it is it can't be opened.
I need a PDF format to open it.
Thank you!!
SLewis77
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slewis77.html
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi

Post by SLewis77 »

1. epub
2. laptop windows 10
3. no, my first attempt
4. n/a
5. no usual process, 1st attempt, download app, download book, wont open
6. no, keeps saving instead of opening, or tries to use adobe, then gives error msg
7. yes read them all, tried nook app & calibre
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi
Damisparkles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damisparkles.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Damisparkles »

1.pdf
2. GIONEE Android phone
3.yes
4.Yes,i simply go to my Adobe acrobat reader App or Wps app, scan for stored documents and click on desired book. It automatically opens. Or I pick the desired document from my downloaded file directory and I click, then am given which option of App to make use of.
5.I scanned for my documents with the reader and I clicked on the book which I downloaded *Then I met Margaret " and it responded as unsupported or wrong book format.
6.unsupported or wrong book format
7.i did as instructed and downloaded the eReader Prestigio which was successfully installed.
Joanne00
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joanne00.html
Latest Review: Aluria by Tyler Cook

Post by Joanne00 »

1. pdf format
2. android phone
3. yes
4. usually I just click on the file and it gives me options of which app I want to use to open it and I select one or I go to the app and select the file from there.
5. after downloading, I click on the file and it doesn't open.
6. it says "file can't be opened or doesn't exist". Another says "unsupported or wrong book format"
7. I've tried using the kindle app and the eReader Prestigio
Latest Review: Aluria by Tyler Cook
jfucela
Currently Reading: Andalusian in Jerusalem
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jfucela.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by jfucela »

Epub format
I have tried both my phone and kindle
I have downloaded the book on both, however it says it can not be opened
No, I haven't tried epub before
Could I possibly try pdf format instead?
galadriel09

Post by galadriel09 »

1. Epub
2. Desktop computer
3. No. I didn't know epub files would not work on this computer.
4. I tried to open the file with every program available.
5. File will download to the computer, but cannot be opened.
6. “File type is not supported”
7. I cannot download programs on this computer.
RevJen

Post by RevJen »

I am attempting to open a book in .mobi format on my Samsung Note 8. I've never opened files in this format on my phone before. I have the Kindle app installed and I see where the book is in my downloaded file, but when I try to open it the phone says I do not have any apps to open it and sends to the play store.
Dakstrid
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakstrid.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Dakstrid »

Hi I downloaded The 1105 Murders by Brian O'Hare and starting on Page 39 the book goes blank. The table of content does not work correctly either. Please let me know what to do in this situation. Thank you.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Wednesday+

Post by Wednesday+ »

I'm trying to open my book on my phone and it won't work can you help.
jfucela
Currently Reading: Andalusian in Jerusalem
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jfucela.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by jfucela »

I tried to download book again, it is set in epub format. I can't change it. I downloaded all the apps I needed to and while the book will download, I can not open file. Could you please send me the book in pdf format or tell me how to switch from epub to pdf? Thank you
mytkreadingreview
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mytkreadingreview.html
Latest Review: Scam Story by Gini Graham Scott
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mytkreadingreview »

I now downloaded the book and I now trying to convert it to pdf file because I am not able to use epub file reader to open files
shilpi240
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilpi240.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by shilpi240 »

1. PDF
2. iPad
3. Yes
4. I open the pdf files by choosing ‘copy to iBooks’ option.
5. The file appears broken after being copied to iBooks.
6. Error says “can’t open this file”.
Pipertheminicat

Post by Pipertheminicat »

FAILURE TO DOWNLOAD BOOK AND REPEATED CHASING MESSAGES

Dear Review Team,
I posted the message below regarding the failure to download a book and have not received any any response regarding an alternative format. However I am still receiving chasing emails despite my not being able to read the book.

I have included my original message below for reference.

* 1. In what file format is the ebook (e.g. epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)
* ePub
* 2. What device are using to try to open it?
* Mobile phone
* 3. Have you ever successfully opened a file in that format on that device before?
* No
* 4. If your answer to question 3 is "yes", please describe the steps you usually take to successfully open a file in that format on your device. If your answer to question 3 is "no" then please describe what steps you did try to open the file.
* I downloaded the file to my google docs.
* 5. When following the usual process you use to open that kind of file on your device, or the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post, at what step does it uniquely go wrong with this file? In other words, on which step, of the steps you listed as your response to question #4, do you run into trouble with this file but not other files of the same file type?
* I haven’t tried to download an ePub file before
* 6. Do you get an error message? If so, what is the exact wording of the error message?
* “Unsupported file type”
* 7. Did you read and try the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post? If not, please do that before replying. Please name which apps your tried from the suggested apps
* I tried to download nook from the App Store but searching for “nook” and “nook Barnes and noble” but this did not locate the app. I then downloaded the kindle app successfully but could not access the ePub file with this.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Pipertheminicat wrote: 25 Jan 2018, 11:46 FAILURE TO DOWNLOAD BOOK AND REPEATED CHASING MESSAGES

Dear Review Team,
I posted the message below regarding the failure to download a book and have not received any any response regarding an alternative format. However I am still receiving chasing emails despite my not being able to read the book.

I have included my original message below for reference.

* 1. In what file format is the ebook (e.g. epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)
* ePub
* 2. What device are using to try to open it?
* Mobile phone
* 3. Have you ever successfully opened a file in that format on that device before?
* No
* 4. If your answer to question 3 is "yes", please describe the steps you usually take to successfully open a file in that format on your device. If your answer to question 3 is "no" then please describe what steps you did try to open the file.
* I downloaded the file to my google docs.
* 5. When following the usual process you use to open that kind of file on your device, or the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post, at what step does it uniquely go wrong with this file? In other words, on which step, of the steps you listed as your response to question #4, do you run into trouble with this file but not other files of the same file type?
* I haven’t tried to download an ePub file before
* 6. Do you get an error message? If so, what is the exact wording of the error message?
* “Unsupported file type”
* 7. Did you read and try the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post? If not, please do that before replying. Please name which apps your tried from the suggested apps
* I tried to download nook from the App Store but searching for “nook” and “nook Barnes and noble” but this did not locate the app. I then downloaded the kindle app successfully but could not access the ePub file with this.
You need mobi format for the kindle App. You should convert the file to mobi via the free Calibre App. The tips in the first post explains that.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
mytkreadingreview
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mytkreadingreview.html
Latest Review: Scam Story by Gini Graham Scott
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mytkreadingreview »

I am sorry that I didn't notify you in time but right now I am not able to update my status or do any of those because my laptop went for repair, but once it come back ,I promise you that I will continue with my update immediately, please give me just a week to solve my problems

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”