Help opening ebook files (epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: Help opening ebook files (epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)

Post by gali »

RebeccaR wrote: 30 Nov 2018, 14:53 1. I don't know what type of file it is. When I click the link to download the book, it reloads the page and that's all. Nothing downloads and nothing opens or changes in a new tab.

2. I am using a Microsoft tablet.

3. I never have downloaded a book on this tablet before, but PDFs and other files never give me any trouble.

4. Every time that I try to download it, the page refreshes itself and that's it. Sometimes the page will freeze and say it's become unresponsive. I tried downloading it on another laptop and the same thing happened.

5. I never have issues with the link opening and the page refreshing itself.

6. No.

7. Yes I tried B&N free nook app as well as Calibre. I'm still having the same issue.
You should see the type of file on your Update tab.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
RebeccaR
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RebeccaR »

The option that I originally chose was for a B&N ebook download. That's all it says on my Update page.
gali

Post by gali »

RebeccaR wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 14:34 The option that I originally chose was for a B&N ebook download. That's all it says on my Update page.
It was probably a gift card and it requires ability to read Nook books downloaded directly from Barnes and Noble.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Emjopin
Favorite Author: E.W. Johnson M.D.
Favorite Book: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Currently Reading: Lost Secret of the Ancient Ones
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emjopin.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
fav_author_id: 196577

Post by Emjopin »

May you please send McDowell in Kindle. At first I was able to download it in epub but the file got lost. I cant retrieve it.
Thanks for the email. I kept sending notes like this complaining about the lost file or ebook Mc Dowell.Am having trouble with epub. May you send it to my Kindle? I may do the review tomorrow its weekend am free.
Thanks.
Emjopin🕊
gali

Post by gali »

Emjopin wrote: 14 Dec 2018, 01:34 May you please send McDowell in Kindle. At first I was able to download it in epub but the file got lost. I cant retrieve it.
Thanks for the email. I kept sending notes like this complaining about the lost file or ebook Mc Dowell.Am having trouble with epub. May you send it to my Kindle? I may do the review tomorrow its weekend am free.
Thanks.
Emjopin🕊
Once chosen, the format can't be changed. You should ask for another copy via your Update tab, and then change the format via the free Calibre App.
A retired Admin/Mod

MOCHI MOCHI

Post by MOCHI MOCHI »

EPUB format can be opened with microsoft navigator
Philip Chepsingil
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philip-chepsingil.html
Latest Review: Ana by Gary Hope

Post by Philip Chepsingil »

Scott wrote: 16 Mar 2017, 18:50 IMPORTANT: When replying to this topic, you must answer ALL the numbered questions in this post to get help.

This topic is for getting help opening an ebook file, especially one that you received for review as a reviewer through the OnlineBookClub Review Team.

Top Tips

On most devices, you can read epub files by downloading the Free Nook App by Barnes and Noble.

On most devices, you can read mobi files by downloading the Free Kindle App by Amazon.

You will usually need to either associate the file type with the app on your device, or use a file manager to move the file into the 'books' folder of the app.

The good thing about the above apps is they are available on all devices. Between the two of them you should be able to open all major ebook file formats.

However, if Kindle and Nook apps do not work for some reason, then you can alternatively try using the following free apps.

- Calibre (good for desktop)
- eReader Prestigio (good for Android)

If after download the appropriate app, you still need help opening your file, please reply to this topic. Make sure to answer ALL of the following questions in your reply. Preferably, number your answers so they are easy to match to the question.
  • 1. In what file format is the ebook (e.g. epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)?

2. What device are using to try to open it?

3. Have you ever successfully opened a file in that format on that device before?

4. If your answer to question 3 is "yes", please describe the steps you usually take to successfully open a file in that format on your device. If your answer to question 3 is "no" then please describe what steps you did try to open the file.

5. When following the usual process you use to open that kind of file on your device, or the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post, at what step does it uniquely go wrong with this file? In other words, on which step, of the steps you listed as your response to question #4, do you run into trouble with this file but not other files of the same file type?

6. Do you get an error message? If so, what is the exact wording of the error message?

7. Did you read and try the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post? If not, please do that before replying. Please name which apps your tried from the suggested apps.
By answering all of these questions, you will give me the information I need to help.
Good information. It is helpful. I have understood and got a solution to my book format problem
Latest Review: Ana by Gary Hope
jeremybendall72
Currently Reading:

Post by jeremybendall72 »

- Just joined last week and First time setting up a review but now stuck !! last week selected a book ' Taste for Revenge ' by US author Lyle Howard .
- Book club site said available on Kindle
- Selected all options as preferences as suggested by site
- Registered with Amazon ( for Aust + nz ) and with the Kindle Unlimited free trial
- Went to download Kindle for PC ( use a Lenovo which is Windows 8.0 so compliant ) but no good as keeps kicking me out when try to register or do anything ??!!
- Called Amazon help desk on 14 Dec but they couldn't help ?
- Kept trying all options this week but no good
- Sent Scott Hughes a FBK message yesterday as suggested
Please assist thanks

Jeremy Bendall
gali

Post by gali »

jeremybendall72 wrote: 19 Dec 2018, 19:23 - Just joined last week and First time setting up a review but now stuck !! last week selected a book ' Taste for Revenge ' by US author Lyle Howard .
- Book club site said available on Kindle
- Selected all options as preferences as suggested by site
- Registered with Amazon ( for Aust + nz ) and with the Kindle Unlimited free trial
- Went to download Kindle for PC ( use a Lenovo which is Windows 8.0 so compliant ) but no good as keeps kicking me out when try to register or do anything ??!!
- Called Amazon help desk on 14 Dec but they couldn't help ?
- Kept trying all options this week but no good
- Sent Scott Hughes a FBK message yesterday as suggested
Please assist thanks

Jeremy Bendall
If you can't get Kindle for PC, there is nothing to do but quit the book.
A retired Admin/Mod

Emjopin
Favorite Author: E.W. Johnson M.D.
Favorite Book: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Currently Reading: Lost Secret of the Ancient Ones
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emjopin.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
fav_author_id: 196577

Post by Emjopin »

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP.
FINALLY, I MADE IT. TOO LATE THOUGH, AT LEAST IT'S PRINTED OUT...Sorry I scampered to get it done so there goes the typo errors and grammarglitches🤗
Mary WhiteFace
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

I accepted the offer to review Julu by Jan Anderegg which shows as available through Kindle Unlimited. Using the provided link, there is no Kindle Unlimited option on the Amazon website.

In answer to the support questions:

1. The book is listed as available through Kindle Unlimited.

2. The devices I am using are the Samsung Galaxy 8+ and a Kindle Fire.

3. Yes, I have successfully opened a file in that format on each device in the past.

4. I usually can go to Amazon via the provided link and select the Kindle Unlimited option, which immediately downloads the selected book.

5. The download process cannot be started, as there is no Kindle Unlimited option. I usually have no issue, as long as the option is available.

6. There is no error message.

7. I have the Kindle app on the Samsung Galaxy 8+. The Kindle Fire needs no app to access Amazon eBooks.
Mary WhiteFace
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

MOCHI MOCHI wrote: 15 Dec 2018, 10:10 EPUB format can be opened with microsoft navigator
That is good to know. Thank you. 💕
kosgeyvini
Favorite Book: Timewise
Currently Reading: Emotional Cure for Autism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by kosgeyvini »

1. Mobi
2. Kindle for Android
3. No
6. Can't open.
7. Yes but it's not opening in my Kindle app.
Cherie83

Post by Cherie83 »

1. In what file format is the ebook (e.g. epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)?
EPUB
2. What device are using to try to open it?
ANDROID
3. Have you ever successfully opened a file in that format on that device before?
NO
4. If your answer to question 3 is "yes", please describe the steps you usually take to successfully open a file in that format on your device. If your answer to question 3 is "no" then please describe what steps you did try to open the file.

5. When following the usual process you use to open that kind of file on your device, or the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post, at what step does it uniquely go wrong with this file? In other words, on which step, of the steps you listed as your response to question #4, do you run into trouble with this file but not other files of the same file type?

6. Do you get an error message? If so, what is the exact wording of the error message?
JUST WON'T OPEN THE FILE
7. Did you read and try the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post? If not, please do that before replying. Please name which apps your tried from the suggested apps.[/list]
YES
stephanieb0922
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by stephanieb0922 »

1. bngc file format (I chose to download via Barnes and Noble Gift Certificate and the link to download just hyperlinks me back to the same page over and over again on both my iPad and I also tried on my Mac)
2. iPad, Nook app
3. I have not tried this before, I am a brand new reviewer
4. N/A
5. N/A
6. No error message, it just keeps hyperlinking me back to the update page over and over.
7. Yes, I haven't tried any additional apps because again, there is no download to be found.

Please help!!

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”