Help opening ebook files (epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Tokenstrife
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Help opening ebook files (epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)

Post by Tokenstrife »

I tried to open a PDF of Twisted Threads on my iPhone which I usually open it in browser, then copy to adobe or iBooks. When I tried to copy it over to adobe is says cannot open because file is damaged or corrupted, and when I tried iBooks it simply says it cannot open the file. Any work around in this?
MacAttack
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by MacAttack »

I have these problems all the time when I download ebooks. But there are plenty of drop applications online to convert your file to the desired format. All you have to do is search for "epub" or "PDF" to "mobile" ( if you use kindle) and scroll through the choices.
Skb845
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak

Post by Skb845 »

Hi,

I'm having some trouble opening my book to review. I'm wondering if maybe I can just get a PDF of the book to solve this issue.

Thanks in advance for your help!

1. In what file format is the ebook (e.g. epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)? epub

2. What device are using to try to open it? I tried both iPad and PC laptop to no avail.

3. Have you ever successfully opened a file in that format on that device before? Yes to both.

4. If your answer to question 3 is "yes", please describe the steps you usually take to successfully open a file in that format on your device. If your answer to question 3 is "no" then please describe what steps you did try to open the file.

Generally I get the epub file off of the computer and sync it through iTunes to my device. That did not work in this case. I also tried downloading to various epub reading apps on the iPad, which also did not work.

5. When following the usual process you use to open that kind of file on your device, or the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post, at what step does it uniquely go wrong with this file? In other words, on which step, of the steps you listed as your response to question #4, do you run into trouble with this file but not other files of the same file type?

It stops at the download stage for both. It keeps saying the file isn't readable when I try to download it on the computer and doesn't even allow me the option to download on the tablet regardless of app.

6. Do you get an error message? If so, what is the exact wording of the error message?

Unable to update torrent for "Ravens-Peak.epub": torrent is not valid bencoding!

7. Did you read and try the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post? If not, please do that before replying. Please name which apps your tried from the suggested apps.

Yes, I tried both getting Nook and Kindle. Neither solved ny issue. I also tried about 5 others as well.
jollybee

Post by jollybee »

After I successfully verified my account on Kindle & tried to download the book on the link that says “Click here to download the book now.”, and it just kept turning into yellow color and nothing happened, I tried to search the book I wanted to read in Kindle and luckily, it’s available and I already downloaded it. I also updated my status last December 2017.

When I started to read the book, I noticed that some of the pages are skipped or jumped. That’s the time that I turned the last page and realize that the book I downloaded is just a sample.

I’m trying to redownload the book but then again, the link just keep turning into color yellow. And today, I just read that my next status update is on January 8, 2018 and I’m not even started it yet. What should I do? Thanks.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

1. PDF
2. Tablet
3. Yes
4. I usually click on the file then it opens in a new window. Alternately I can open PDF files using my eReader Prestigio or my kindle app. I tried all three routes.
5. When I click on it to open it an error message appears and it won't open. When using eReader Prestigious I managed to use the file manager to move the file into the 'books' folder of the app but it won't open when I click on it. Same applies with my kindle app.
6. Yes, I do get an error message. The message reads: "Cannot display PDF (PDF is of an invalid format)."
7. Yes I did read top tips and I tried eReader Prestigious.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
mytkreadingreview
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mytkreadingreview.html
Latest Review: Scam Story by Gini Graham Scott
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mytkreadingreview »

1.epub
2.Laptop
3No
4.When it complete to download
5.utorrent can't load the book
6.can't load the book because bad becoding
Evanraymond

Post by Evanraymond »

1. ePub
2. iPad
3. Yes, usually open it with the app

When I downloaded the book I got a file that was just code and in some with format
Ste Brad
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03199">And Then I Met Margaret</a>
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ste-brad.html
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Ste Brad »

Hello,

11.05 Murders (epub version) will not download and the system doesn't automatically revert to the page that allows reviewers to select the version. Please help or remove it from my shelf so that I may select another or try downloading it via the other version (pdf) offered.

Thank you so very much for your prompt reply📃📚
Dmc4gwc1966+
Currently Reading: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dmc4gwc1966.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Dmc4gwc1966+ »

Book is in doc. Format and when it downloads this is no option to change format. When I go into my doc. It says the file is corrupt. I have both the Kindle and nook apps on my phone but have no option to download the book to those. What do I do now?
Ste Brad
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03199">And Then I Met Margaret</a>
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ste-brad.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Ste Brad »

Am still unable to open the epub version i downloaded to my kindle and will need to be able to re-download it in pdf as a soon as possible, somehow, please.

thanks
The Joy of The LORD is my strength!
:idea: :techie-reference:
mytkreadingreview
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mytkreadingreview.html
Latest Review: Scam Story by Gini Graham Scott
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mytkreadingreview »

I now downloaded the book for my review and I think everything might be fine to me right now but I need to download calibre app, because I think It will help me to open the file of the book , or if it is still not opening I think I will convert it to pdf file,there after I read the book and submit my review.
dancinladybugs
Currently Reading: Never Let Me Go
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinladybugs.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Post by dancinladybugs »

1. PDF

2. iPhone 6s

3. not sure

4. I am able to view the file in the browser but I am trying to save it to an e-reader app so I can keep track of my spot and it is not working. I saved it to my iCloud files, then went in there and hit send to Kindle. It appeared in my Kindle, but the pdf is basically just the log in screen for the Online Book Club. It's like the permissions are set incorrectly for the download of this pdf.

5. The fact that I can download the pdf but when I convert it to a Kindle file it loses the text of the book and just gives me the log in screen for this website in the ebook reader.

6. No

7. Yes. Trying the Kindle App. Also tried iBooks and got a message that it could not open the file.
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Allmine1

Post by Allmine1 »

Won't open
Kayce Ogbonna
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Kayce Ogbonna »

1. epub.

2. Adobe and MS Office.

3. No.

4. I tried opening it with Adobe and it was not supportive of it.

5. Reading the file is the point where it refuses to open. It has been downloaded by me.

6. Yes. Adobe Acrobat could not read the file because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged.

7. I was asked to use Barnes and Noble, but it is not applicable in my country.
dsreview

Post by dsreview »

Can't open on 🔥tablet keep saying no download and i have repeated all steps and nothing works. Please help really want to read.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”