Help opening ebook files (epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
vbuckingham12203
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vbuckingham12203.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Help opening ebook files (epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)

Post by vbuckingham12203 »

I am trying to review The Right to Nominate, an epub file. I am using a Kindle Fire 7. The file downloaded but won't open. The message I'm getting is Can't open file. I have checked off every format option offered on the format page when I joined including epub.
vbuckingham12203
Currently Reading:

I should mention that I have not opened an epub file on my Kindle Fire 7 before.
vbuckingham12203
Currently Reading:

Thanks so much. I now have it on my iPhone but do not know how to forward it to my Kindle. At least I am able to read it now.
Aratmary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aratmary.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Aratmary »

1. Pdf
2. Android
3. Yes
4. From WPS office to the document, then click on the document
5. At the aspect of file opening
6. It says "file format error, file can't be opened
7. I downloaded the EReader prestigio but it is saying" unsupported or wrong book format
Aratmary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aratmary.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Aratmary »

From experience, the ebook file might not be properly downloaded because of the type of browser you are using. Therefore, you can try another browser. It worked for me.
Muttianna
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muttianna.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Muttianna »

.pdf, iPad, yes. It ought to be free since I'm using kindle unlimited but I'm supposed to still pay on Amazon and I cannot even download it even if I wanna buy because it indicates shipping so they'd send the virtual book. I'm confused. Help
tigerlily25
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by tigerlily25 »

1. ePub
2. iPhone 7+
3. No
4. Downloaded ePub app, then downloaded book. Tried to open book in ePub; book wouldn’t open.
Downloaded Nook app, then downloaded book again. Tried to open book in Nook; book wouldn’t open. Got an error message.
5. Opening the file
6. Yes—“Error
The following files failed to sideload:
download.php
7. 7
P.S.—I would gladly pay you the cost of the ebook to be done with this and not have to deal with it anymore. Please let me know if that’s possible.
Legendadhis 1997

Post by Legendadhis 1997 »

1. Mobi
2. Android, hTc one max
3. No
kennywilliams

Post by kennywilliams »

I tried downloading the book but I'm unable to download it.
Cheerwine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cheerwine »

1. ePub
2. iBook and Nook app
3. No
4. I’ve never tried to download books or anything on my iPad or iPhone before. I can download a book if its from Audible, Kindle, Nook and iBooks. However, I cannot find the books I downloaded from online book club.
6. No
7. Yes
Thank you in advance.
Emily Woods
Favorite Author: Laini Taylor
Currently Reading: The Dream Thieves
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-woods.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt
Reading Device: B00UB76290
fav_author_id: 4440

Post by Emily Woods »

Is the Epub file a .acsm? Because if so then you need to download Adobe Digital Editions to open it.
But as for Epub, I think there are applications for that on the pc, but you probably want to use Nook or iBook for the best result/chance of opening it.

Kindle books you can open by kindle for the pc. It works just fine until you can buy yourself a Kindle tablet. And you just have to set up some stuff and then download a few books and read away.

PDFs can also be transferred to the Kindle for reading, you just can't adjust the way they read like the official Kindle books on the device. Or just read them on the Adobe Acrobat Document reader.
janetp28752
Currently Reading: Nothing Holy About It

Post by janetp28752 »

1. In what file format is the ebook (e.g. epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)? KIUN

2. What device are using to try to open it? Desktop Mac

3. Have you ever successfully opened a file in that format on that device before? YES

4. If your answer to question 3 is "yes", please describe the steps you usually take to successfully open a file in that format on your device. If your answer to question 3 is "no" then please describe what steps you did try to open the file.

5. When following the usual process you use to open that kind of file on your device, or the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post, at what step does it uniquely go wrong with this file? In other words, on which step, of the steps you listed as your response to question #4, do you run into trouble with this file but not other files of the same file type?

6. Do you get an error message? If so, what is the exact wording of the error message?

7. Did you read and try the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post? If not, please do that before replying. Please name which apps your tried from the suggested apps.

I do not have a problem opening the file, but I do have a problem in that Amazon wants to charge me for the book, which was listed on this site as free. I sent a message to support, received an answer that said I should post it on my review page, but the only option I can find on the review page concerns problems downloading the file.
Books Galore
Currently Reading: Say You're Sorry
Bookshelf Size: 176

Post by Books Galore »

janetp28752 wrote: 28 Apr 2018, 09:55 1. In what file format is the ebook (e.g. epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)? KIUN

2. What device are using to try to open it? Desktop Mac

3. Have you ever successfully opened a file in that format on that device before? YES

4. If your answer to question 3 is "yes", please describe the steps you usually take to successfully open a file in that format on your device. If your answer to question 3 is "no" then please describe what steps you did try to open the file.

5. When following the usual process you use to open that kind of file on your device, or the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post, at what step does it uniquely go wrong with this file? In other words, on which step, of the steps you listed as your response to question #4, do you run into trouble with this file but not other files of the same file type?

6. Do you get an error message? If so, what is the exact wording of the error message?

7. Did you read and try the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post? If not, please do that before replying. Please name which apps your tried from the suggested apps.

I do not have a problem opening the file, but I do have a problem in that Amazon wants to charge me for the book, which was listed on this site as free. I sent a message to support, received an answer that said I should post it on my review page, but the only option I can find on the review page concerns problems downloading the file.
I'm having the exact same problem!! It stated the book was free, I liked it and picked it to review, and Amazon wants 2.99, even after I signed up for Kindle Unlimited. So I hunted around trying to file an error report and the only thing I could find was if I was having problems downloading the book. However, I submitted what I thought was an error report only to get an email from one of the site admins telling me to submit an error report to the owner of the site as he handles all errors. I can't find anywhere to submit such a thing! So I private messaged the owner describing the problem and have gotten no word. Beyond frustrating!! :x
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies." :techie-studyinggray:
George R.R. Martin
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

I see from the info given, that I've selected the wrong format. I chose epub and I should have choosen mobi. How do I go back and select the other format? I am at the point of choosing the book for review and it is waiting on my response on having it downloaded.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Maggie Stephen

Post by Maggie Stephen »

PDF
Phone
Yes
I have an app ( PDF reader) I click the document and it opens
After download is complete,I click to open and the error says 'cannot open file'
Yes.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”