Help opening ebook files (epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Help opening ebook files (epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)

Post by Scott »

IMPORTANT: When replying to this topic, you must answer ALL the numbered questions in this post to get help.

This topic is for getting help opening an ebook file, especially one that you received for review as a reviewer through the OnlineBookClub Review Team.

As of August 2021, the best free app to read epub files on Android devices is our very own OBC Reader, which is available in the Google Play store.

If you don't have Android, then the next best bet top open epub files is the Free Nook App by Barnes and Noble. You can also open books in epub format through Microsoft Edge browser now.

For mobi files, on most devices, you can read mobi files by downloading the Free Kindle App by Amazon.

You will usually need to either associate the file type with the app on your device, or use a file manager to move the file into the 'books' folder of the app.

The good thing about the above apps is they are available on all devices. Between the two of them you should be able to open all major ebook file formats.

However, if Kindle and Nook apps do not work for some reason, then you can alternatively try using the following free apps.

- Calibre (good for desktop)

To move a Mobi file to your device via the file manager:
Open the file manager app on your Android phone. Navigate to the ebook file location. Touch and hold it. Select Copy. Go to the Main storage of your Android device from the file manager and look for the Kindle folder. You will find it in the same location where you have your Download folder. Open the Kindle folder and paste your file. Launch the Kindle app, and you will see the ebook.
. You can also send the file directly to your Kindle email per the instructions on Amazon.

If after download the appropriate app, you still need help opening your file, please reply to this topic. Make sure to answer ALL of the following questions in your reply. Preferably, number your answers so they are easy to match to the question.
  • 1. In what file format is the ebook (e.g. epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)?

2. What device are using to try to open it?

3. Have you ever successfully opened a file in that format on that device before?

4. If your answer to question 3 is "yes", please describe the steps you usually take to successfully open a file in that format on your device. If your answer to question 3 is "no" then please describe what steps you did try to open the file.

5. When following the usual process you use to open that kind of file on your device, or the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post, at what step does it uniquely go wrong with this file? In other words, on which step, of the steps you listed as your response to question #4, do you run into trouble with this file but not other files of the same file type?

6. Do you get an error message? If so, what is the exact wording of the error message?

7. Did you read and try the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post? If not, please do that before replying. Please name which apps your tried from the suggested apps.
By answering all of these questions, you will give me the information I need to help.

Please note that once you choose a format, you can't ask for another format. You can try to convert the file yourself via the free Calibre App.

* If the file is corrupted (contains only the cover/first page or can't be opened), you need to report it via your Update tab.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
jerlianjose
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jerlianjose »

This is actually a well written guide. I like how there are guides to if you answer no. Very helpful for someone knew to using ebooks.
Diane Rama
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diane-rama.html

Post by Diane Rama »

Cannot open the book, error unable to find application to perform this action

-- 17 Mar 2017, 08:53 --

Can I get another book which is rather in pdf format.
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Diane Rama wrote:Cannot open the book, error unable to find application to perform this action

-- 17 Mar 2017, 08:53 --

Can I get another book which is rather in pdf format.
@"Diane Rama" For help, please answer all of the questions in the original post when replying. Thank you.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

maraman
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maraman.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by maraman »

1. The ebook is in epub format.
2. I'm using my PC.
3. No
6. The error message was "The Office cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents."

Is there a possibility to get the books in Pdf format only?
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

maraman wrote:1. The ebook is in epub format.
2. I'm using my PC.
3. No
6. The error message was "The Office cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents."

Is there a possibility to get the books in Pdf format only?
@maraman You cannot open epub files with Microsoft Office. Please see the original post and use the link to get the free Barnes and Noble app.

Santhush Xavier
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-santhush-xavier.html
Latest Review: "Wrong Turn, Right Guy" by Haylie B. Fox

Post by Santhush Xavier »

Can't I download a book in kiun format using Kindle Amazon app?
Latest Review: "Wrong Turn, Right Guy" by Haylie B. Fox
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

@"Santhush Xavier" For assistance, please answer all of the numbered questions in the original post.

Toria Mason
Currently Reading: Thirteen Reasons Why
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toria-mason.html
Latest Review: "The Last Valentine" by Felix Alexander

Post by Toria Mason »

1. PDF
2. Kindle for PC (also usually opens in a new window when I click it and it wouldn't open there either)
3. Yes
4. File > Import PDF...> Double-click PDF > Usually it then downloads and opens
5. After double-clicking to begin the download, it pops up an error.
6. "The book could not be opened. Please remove the book from your device and redownload it." (alternately, when I click to open it in a window, it says "Failed to load PDF document".)

-- March 31st, 2017, 10:43 am --

I still haven't received any help, but I got an email telling me I needed to update the status of my review. I can't select a different file type and I can't cancel the review, so I'm stuck...

-- March 31st, 2017, 10:12 pm --

I received a Delays Penalty on my score but I still haven't had help in being able to download a working file for the book I selected. I had sent an error report immediately after it wouldn't work, and then I realized it mentioned in smaller print about this forum, so I posted on here as well. I received an email responding to the error report stating that I needed to respond to this forum, which I already had. Then I was sent another email saying I needed to update the status of the review, which I cannot do until I am provided a working file. I don't mind waiting for help. I just wanted to leave this so I'm not being penalized when I'm simply waiting on help. Thank you.
Aniaks
Currently Reading: Project Tau
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniaks.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Aniaks »

The Nook reading book app is not available in my Country. I'm from India.
Please provide me with another source to download an apj versio of this app.
Thank You
Books and coffee

Post by Books and coffee »

1. mobi
2. Calibre on my computer (I don't have my kindle right now but I got the mobi form because that's what it requires)
3. I've opened books of every format on Calibre
4. I right click on the book, to which a menu opens up. I click on "view" and it opens a readable form.
5. It opens the book like it normally does the pages are blank and gray and it can't tell me how many pages are in the book either.
6.The error says "invalid continuation byte."
7. I did read the "Top Tips."
Arjun_25

Post by Arjun_25 »

1. Mobi
2. Kindle for Android
3. No
6. Can't open.
7. Yes but it's not opening in my Kindle app.
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Toria Mason wrote:1. PDF
2. Kindle for PC (also usually opens in a new window when I click it and it wouldn't open there either)
3. Yes
6. "The book could not be opened. Please remove the book from your device and redownload it." (alternately, when I click to open it in a window, it says "Failed to load PDF document".)
@"Toria Mason" Because you have successfully opened PDF files before, the problem may just be that the PDF is corrupted or not working. I have emailed you so that you can send the PDF to me. I will try to open it to see if it works. I am very sorry for the inconvenience.

Aniaks wrote:The Nook reading book app is not available in my Country. I'm from India.
Please provide me with another source to download an apj versio of this app.
Thank You
@Aniaks For help, please answer all of the numbered questions in the original post.

Books and coffee wrote:1. mobi
2. Calibre on my computer (I don't have my kindle right now but I got the mobi form because that's what it requires)
3. I've opened books of every format on Calibre
4. I right click on the book, to which a menu opens up. I click on "view" and it opens a readable form.
5. It opens the book like it normally does the pages are blank and gray and it can't tell me how many pages are in the book either.
6.The error says "invalid continuation byte."
7. I did read the "Top Tips."
@"Books and coffee" Because you have opened files in mobi format on Calibre before, the issue may be that the file is corrupt. I will email you to get the file and test it.

Arjun_25 wrote:1. Mobi
2. Kindle for Android
3. No
6. Can't open.
7. Yes but it's not opening in my Kindle app.
@Arjun_25 Please answer all 7 questions.

Toria Mason
Currently Reading: Thirteen Reasons Why
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toria-mason.html

Post by Toria Mason »

Scott wrote:
Toria Mason wrote:1. PDF
3. Yes
@"Toria Mason" Because you have successfully opened PDF files before, the problem may just be that the PDF is corrupted or not working. I have emailed you so that you can send the PDF to me. I will try to open it to see if it works. I am very sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you so much!
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

1. .mobi
2. Android phone
3. Yes
4. It's true that I have faced the same problem before when I tried to open the file directly from the place it was downloaded. But then I read the tips in this post and tried moving the file to the kindle folder in my phone itself. It still didn't work. Then I downloaded it again and moved it by using my SD card in my computer. I could finally access it in the Amazon Kindle app then.
5. When I open it directly from its place of download, I get an error message "Can't open file'. Even after doing the same procedure I had done previously (refer 4), the file is not shown in the Amazon Kindle app even after synchronization.
6. Yes, I got the error message " Can't open file" when I tried to access it directly from the downloads.
7. Yes, I have tried and re-tried all the Top Tips to no avail.

Kindly help me.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”